IGNORED

Games without overlays?

rietveld

Hello! Interesting question but I guess the question should be the other way round: Are there any Vectrex games that really need an overlay to play?

Most Vectrex games can be played without overlay. Sure enough, the visual experience is better with overlay but just for playing games most often overlays aren't needed at all. There are some few games like Flipper Pinball which don't look good without an overlay because parts of the game graphic is on the overlay. But this isn't the rule but an exception and even Flipper Pinball is still playable.

Personally, I have the impression that with an overlay applied, the flicker of the vectors gets less noticable but this might be just my impression. You can use any overlay to achieve this - a plain blue or a plain green overlay is ideal for playing any game. Minestorm overlay is also cool but I find the grid a bit disturbing. Just make sure that it's an overlay with good print quality (ideally silk print) - unfortunately there are modern overlays around which make sharp vectors look a little bit blur. All original GCE/MB overlays are silk-printed and are "good" overlay, i.e sharp overlays.

I hope this answer helps a bit and have fun playing Vectrex games - in black & white or colourful with overlay. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2023 at 8:04 PM, hcmffm said:

Personally, I have the impression that with an overlay applied, the flicker of the vectors gets less noticable but this might be just my impression.

I absolutely believe this is the case.

I don't know of any game that requires an overlay to play, but it's possible there are some.

• 4 months later...

There's only a couple of games that actually require the overlay. Most are just window dressing. Stramash Zone, Warrior and the unreleased games Stip and Joust Evolution are some of the only ones I can think of that require the overlay as not everything is drawn on the screen. 

I have overlays for the original games, have some for homebrew games and even make some of my own designs. Most of the time I don't even full up with them even though I prefer them.