IGNORED

Doom alert!

xrbrevin

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 11:24 AM, Beeblebrox said:

Just spied a link to a recent DOOM article (via Atarionline.pl) that talks about 3D engines and Doom on the A8 (note: browser translates from Polish):

https://retroage.net/doom-3/

Intersting read and there are some interesting videos and also the evolution of the Vic/maze Doom GTIA engine which I've not seen before. 

just noticed over at Atarionline.pl the author of the article above has recently followed up and written the 2nd part of the article in the last week:

https://retroage.net/doom-po-raz-drugi/

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, twh/f2 said:

new year - a new hope. I'm still waiting impatiently for "ADoom 1.0" - the one with the gun and better immersion.

fingers crossed we also see some weapon bob animation, plus also I'd love to see the status bar that PG mocked up implemented - looks amazing:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/352886-doom-alert/?do=findComment&comment=5351694

image.thumb.png.ae6fd1781acc0185d8bd64e6603f23d3.png

Edit: worth adding I am always mindful of not putting pressure on those coding these wonderful things. They are, after all, doing it for free and it's incredibly time consuming.

Would love to see the latest beta. Will be worth the wait.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Geister said:

I love playing this on the Atari.  I have the Doom collection on Steam and play doom more often on Altirra!

me too. It's such an amazing achievement and so playable. It never ceases to amaze me this is running on a stock 64k 1979 chipset. 

For me this is one of the main reasons why I am into the Atari 8 bit  - to see it being pushed all the time. It has plenty more tricks left up it's sleeve. :)

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Very much looking forward to the next beta release, enhancements, an optimisations in the comng months. Hopefully we'll see something soon, (he said drooling in anticipation!!! 🤤😉😁

Every few weeks I revisit the Doom beta on my A8's and marvel at what an utterly astounding achievement it is. 

Let's remind ourselves just how much this pushes the envelope, video courtesy of w1k which shows one of the levels that illustrates just how playable and impressive this is, (an this is without onscreen weapons). 

(Here, for me, it doesn't matter how chunky the graphics are. As long as there are just enough colors, (9 x works surprisingly well), the frame rate is high enough, animation is good and level design works, you soon totally forget. Immersion is nailed here. 

Again this is a 1979 chipset!! 😍)

Die pinky demon, die!!!!! 😁

Makes ya wonder about a cut down, appropriate a8 port of Star Wars Dark Forces using the same gr10, 9 colour engine!! 😍

image.thumb.png.8ee068285c0b80e60d6689d1fc22025d.png

.... Or bitmapped classic BLOOD, (mann I played the hell out of this game bitd, pun intended!) :

image.thumb.png.02f0c8e259c3f9fadd9b61beab2ce47b.png

Or the Dukester:

image.thumb.png.429d7b3a02a2d9fe6dbf58646907c449.png

Incidentally, as mentioned in a previous post an a8 vector engine showing some nods to Duke nukem weapons was brought to my attention last year. Very impressive :

image.png.0678753173b4fb3724933e8a362618c4.png

Also, I happened across this video which compares the evolution of doom enemies throughout the years. (I actually prefer the original bitmapped Doom enemies. :)). Well worth a watch.

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beeblebrox said:

.... Or bitmapped classic BLOOD, (mann I played the hell out of this game bitd, pun intended!) :

man, you triggered a fond memory 🙃

"geru shay cruo!"

"maranax infernux!"

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, xrbrevin said:

man, you triggered a fond memory 🙃

"geru shay cruo!"

"maranax infernux!"

Happy daze. BLOOD and DOOM were played to death. Both had loads of atmosphere, but Blood took it to a new level with the death animations and weapons. Remember guns akimbo and the voodoo doll?!!

I loved it and don't mind saying on more than one occasion I was scared as hell. I loved Hexen as well at the time. Bitmapoed graphic engines have more of an appeal than polygon ones for me, although Quake's engine - which was early polygon - has a place in my heart. Damn that was terrifying atmospheric... partly also down to the Nine in nails soundtrack. 

Interestiny enough A8 doom has rekindled my love of Doom. I've installed a modded Doom on my computer called Brutal Doom. Introduces ultra gore and character death animations among other quirky features (you can give the finger to provoke ememies!!) 😁

Check it out:

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

This was the joy of some of the older games, you didn't learn to become some asshat that has no conscience because you did catch an atmosphere to scare the shit out of you or get the feeling something was wrong, sometimes it was comical. Almost all new games lack this, they have no sense of good or bad and the atmoshpere is usually just a kill fest sometimes rewarding you big time for doing what they've made to become happy bad things.

On 2/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, Saint (Swiety) said:

thank you to everyone who voted for Adoom, thanks to you he took 3rd place in the Atari Homebrew Awards ;)

I am always happy to receive news about this exciting project. May I ask what you are currently working on? At first glance it looks like only the weapons are missing, but I'm sure you're working on more features. Is there an indication for the release of ADoom 1.0?

15 minutes ago, twh/f2 said:

I am always happy to receive news about this exciting project. May I ask what you are currently working on? At first glance it looks like only the weapons are missing, but I'm sure you're working on more features. Is there an indication for the release of ADoom 1.0?

Solo/ng's Sept post had the teaser screenshots of the weapons on screen, so this is definitely in the pipeline, but no news as yet:

g2.thumb.png.c2d07302860d609542e1ca46fb5c4250.png

I'd imagine weapon animation and general FPS speed optimization is the focus. 

Edited by Beeblebrox
  • Sad 1