IGNORED

OPINION: Top 5 external peripherals for the Atari 8-bit Computer line

ACML

My opinion is limited to only those external peripherals I have experience with.  If I don't mention your favorite, it's most likely because I have no experience with it.  My criteria is usability, cost, and reliability.

1)  Fujinet 1.6:  Wow!  What an amazing peripheral.  I use it mainly for two functions, disk drive and printer emulation.  It's small, has a passthrough SIO capability and a wireless network connection.  It's not too expensive, but it's not the cheapest solution if you are only looking for a drive emulator.

Fujinet Atari 65 Xe 800 XL | Zgierz | Kup teraz na Allegro Lokalnie

2) SIO2SD:  By far my favorite disk drive emulator.  It's cheap, super reliable and I just like it's onscreen interface the best.  It pretty much plays nice with everything.  I actually like the older 2.2 and 2.5 menus better than the newer 3.5 menu.

Lotharek SIO2SD v1.3 – Retro & Gaming

3) UNO Cart:  I also have the Ultimate Cart, but the capabilities it has for $63 is an amazing value.  The form factor is 1200XL friendly, you can play the Atari 128K carts (Battlezone, GATO, etc.) without a memory upgrade.  It can be Assembler Editor, Rev C BASIC, Action!, MAC/65, Microsoft BASIC II, etc.  I sold all my original cartridges as this will emulate them all.  Has a great EXE loader for playing games.  You can use the RESET button on the top of the cart to change games without cold power cycling the machine every time you want to change a game.

UnoCart Atari 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS cartridge SDRIVE SD card grey | eBay

4) Lotharek's SIO splitter:  Late to the party, but it's the "original USB hub" from 1979.  No more need to worry about dead legged peripherals (SIO2SD, printer interface, 410, etc.).  Also has the ability to supply own 5V power so a stock 1200XL can use all the other peripherals.

Lotharek's Lair

5)  Y/C S-video or Composite to HDMI upscalers: Not a specific Atari peripheral, but allows Ataris to use HDMI without internal mods.  I have found cheap ($20-$30) units on Amazon that work great.

Composite RCA and S-Video to HDMI Upscale Converter

Edited by ACML
  • Like 1

In a top 5 external peripherals

I would add

- AVGCart/SubCart multicarts (quickly load everything, expand RAM, new SubCart emulates Stereo Pokey/COVOX)

- SIDE3 multicart (perfect U1MB companion)

and I would remove

- UNOCart (above mullticarts are better)

- SIO2SD (there's already FujiNet)

I‘d vote for any joystick before any of the above ;), especially for the Suncom TAC-2.

I need no storage if I can‘t play games.

My top vote for hardware is for the Incognito which both fulfills the 800s promise of adaptability and expandability and takes it into the XL age (and beyond?).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What, no love for the data recorders and 300 Baud modems ?  😄

1) AVG cart with SIO cable and PBI cable

(have not bought Sub cart yet, but will as soon as money allows)

2) SIO2SD (have not bought Fujinet cart yet)

3) 1050 with Mini Super Speedy

waiting for:

- Melody Cart PSG/AY

- Melody Cart OPL/OPM

- MIDICAR for XL (with case)

- Stereo FPGA for A8 (Simple Stereo 4)

- Fujinet Prof. (with 2 SIO ports)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1. Ultimate Cart

2. SIO2PC

3. Atari 1050 w/ mini Super Speedy

and call me old-school, but:

4. Commodore 1702 color monitor

5. Suncom TAC-2 joystick (runner-up? Competition Pro 1000)

Way too many internal upgrades to name, but PokeyMAX, APE 32-in-1 OS module, Incognito are def in the running.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 1:18 PM, Philsan said:

SIDE3 multicart

Definitely the SIDE3.  This plus a FujiNet pretty much covers all of the peripheral and cartridge-based software needs on a modern A8.

Going off-piste for a moment, I'll echo the recommendation of the U1MB (in part due to its excellent integration with the SIDE3) and add the UAV for improved video.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Definitely the SIDE3.  This plus a FujiNet pretty much covers all of the peripheral and cartridge-based software needs on a modern A8.

Going off-piste for a moment, I'll echo the recommendation of the U1MB (in part due to its excellent integration with the SIDE3) and add the UAV for improved video.

The external U1MB would be fantastic!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Larry said:

The external U1MB would be fantastic!

I think Lotharek showed off a PBI/ECI connected U1MB prototype on Facebook some months ago (maybe last year?). Not sure if anything came of it. 

Anyway, my for purely external devices:

1. FujiNet

2. SIDE3 (especially if paired with a U1MB equipped machine)

3. ? 

Internal upgrade musts for me are:

1. Ultimate 1MB (XL/XE) / Incognito (800)

2. UAV 

3. ? 

U1MB/Incognito and SIDE cart have long been the king of modern expansion and they are still right up there.

However the AVG cart with cables is now a near unbeatable no effort, no mod upgrade offering comprehensive functionality that can't be matched outside of the above combo.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 6:54 AM, DrVenkman said:

I think Lotharek showed off a PBI/ECI connected U1MB prototype on Facebook some months ago (maybe last year?). Not sure if anything came of it.

@candle originally posted about it in this forum ~2.5 years ago, I believe the design was finalized soon after.

The delay in production/availability would be due to the chip shortages.