IGNORED

Favorite Recharged game on the VCS?

bluenomadgaming

Pretty much all of the Recharged games I've played have been good. I've probably spent the most time playing Yar's, Gravitar, and Centipede (although these have all been on the Switch). One of these days I'll actually hook up my VCS and try some gaming on it.

16 hours ago, Sauron said:

Pretty much all of the Recharged games I've played have been good. I've probably spent the most time playing Yar's, Gravitar, and Centipede (although these have all been on the Switch). One of these days I'll actually hook up my VCS and try some gaming on it.

^^^ pretty much this is the same for me, except I don't have a VCS at all. These were good games, worthy of the old name and I bought them all except Breakout. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 3:30 AM, OBLIVION23 said:

I've put a ton of hours into Centipede Recharged.  Easily my top Recharged gane

Yeah, totally agree. I want to like Missile Command, but it just doesn't play well on the controller I think. You really NEED a trackball... but that said, I can do Centipede pretty well... I've really been enjoying it.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:09 PM, Flojomojo said:

^^^ pretty much this is the same for me, except I don't have a VCS at all. These were good games, worthy of the old name and I bought them all except Breakout. 

Flo, you should get one. It's totally worth it. I just bought my second VCS so that I have can one in the formal downstairs family room, and then one in the upstairs family room.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Flo, you should get one. It's totally worth it. I just bought my second VCS so that I have can one in the formal downstairs family room, and then one in the upstairs family room.

LOL no, not for me. This does not seem like the time to buy. Maybe I can come over and play yours in the informal room because I don’t like neckties. Or shoes. Or pants. 

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2023 at 11:58 AM, Atari_JaguarVCS said:

I honestly couldn't pick a favorite Recharged game i genuinely appreciate them all and think they're all excellent and have been very well done. I think I've played Asteroids Recharged and Centipede Recharged the most though. 

Asteroids for me.   That one gets me hooked and I play again and again.  

• Like 1

On 7/31/2023 at 9:55 AM, Flojomojo said:

LOL no, not for me. This does not seem like the time to buy. Maybe I can come over and play yours in the informal room because I don’t like neckties. Or shoes. Or pants. 

17 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

we call it "living room" for short

LOL, sorry... hahah...

• Haha 1

Ranked:

9.  Gravitar - The least of the bunch.  The color palette is dull and the speed too slow and plodding relative to the original.  The compulsory three shot burst was a poor choice.  Co-op is too impractical to be fun.  It did introduce some interesting scoring elements to the series.

8.  Black Widow - Really does not do enough to distinguish itself from the original.  Twin-stick shooters are so ten-a-penny at this point that you really need something more than this in a new title.

7.  Missile Command (2020) - It's fine (and free if you have the VCS), but it lacks most of the features like leaderboards, co-op and challenges that make the series what it is.  Should rank lower, but I like playing it.

6.  Yars' Revenge - This is a little too much of a departure from the original.  Yes, there is still some of the basic DNA of Yars, but the twin-stick controls and the puzzle pattern elements don't capture the cat-and-mouse essence of it.  

5.  Asteroids - Some games are just evergreen, and you can riff on them endlessly.  This gets just about everything right about the series, but the challenges are a little anemic.

4.  Missile Command (2022) - The controls are made more simplistic in this version (boo), but it does have all the missing elements of the previous version (yay).  If anything, the speed could come down just a hair on this version, but as-is, the challenges present quite a strategic dexterity exercise.

3.  Caverns of Mars - I really should rank this lower, since it has have the scope of the original game, but the free fall mechanic captures the essence of it, forcing you to memorize and hone your reflexes.  The resource management element of it is a nice update of the original.  One of the better balances between classic and modern gameplay.

2.  Breakout - It's such a simple formula: old game + power-ups + leaderboard + co-op + only one life = Just One More Try.  The blend of old and new is spot on here, there are a ton of challenges, and they are quite well-designed.  Would be number one if the co-op wasn't busted and they didn't cuck on the one life conceit.

1.  Centipede - Everything that was true about Breakout is truer here.  The difficulty progression scales quite nicely, and the co-op is the best of the lot.  Played many, many a round of this with my then 7, now 8 year-old, who loves it, and that's exactly what a project like this is supposed to be about.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just purchased Caverns of Mars Recharged and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. Also downloaded MC:R (2020), it just doesn't play right with a controller. I enjoyed it much more playing it on my phone. I might spring for the updated version.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, killersquirel said:

In my opinion they are all great, but I am loving Quantum and I think that might be the best in my opinion.

I haven't dedicated a lot of time to Quantum (yet), but what I have seen I liked. I had some doubts about pulling it off without a trackball, but the modern controller works surprisingly well.

• Like 1