IGNORED

2600+ w/7800 support

Goochman

Odd that Ballblazer is listed as passing compatbility, but that Commando is untested? Does Atari not have access to all the physical carts I'm guessing? They should have reached out to the public to try and secure some of these untested games to see what is up with them.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, john_q_atari said:

If there is a game compatibility list then I am guessing a lot of games may be incompatible. At the very least I am assuming all ARM assisted cartridges are incompatible. If so I may pass as other than the form factor and console shell, this doesn't give me anything I don't already have.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0609/3658/5381/files/Atari-2600Plus-Compatibility.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well I've gone ahead and put in an order so I'll test as many of those UNTESTED games as I own myself. Also if you're thinking about doing the same thing WELCOME15 will get you 15% off. I bought Mr. Run and Jump and the paddle controller too so I saved $30 total.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Silver Back said:

Wow the price isn't bad really either.  I think 99 would've been the sweet spot but 129 isn't bad for what they normally do. Also, with 7800 support could that mean new 7800 xp games like they did with 2600?  Maybe some officially licensed games that were previously homebrew?  Could be a positive sign!

I won that Atari Pong Jr. unit that was done with the help of ARcade 1up a few years back - they were asking $129 for that piece of crap (all it does is play Pong) so in comparison, the 2600+ is a much better deal :P

Too bad they don't have a mini-7800 case option for this though. Guess it'd be time to talk to someone I know with a nice 3D printer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy the Atarian said:

I won that Atari Pong Jr. unit that was done with the help of ARcade 1up a few years back - they were asking $129 for that piece of crap (all it does is play Pong) so in comparison, the 2600+ is a much better deal :P

Too bad they don't have a mini-7800 case option for this though. Guess it'd be time to talk to someone I know with a nice 3D printer

Hack it into a Flashback 1, Remember, it was a 7800 look alike.
Atari Flashback - IGN

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Odd that Ballblazer is listed as passing compatbility, but that Commando is untested? Does Atari not have access to all the physical carts I'm guessing? They should have reached out to the public to try and secure some of these untested games to see what is up with them.

I would doubt they do. This isn't the OG Atari, with a vault full of original cartridges. Ballblazer is easy to find and test. Commando much less easy and cheap...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 4300 said:

I would doubt they do. This isn't the OG Atari, with a vault full of original cartridges. Ballblazer is easy to find and test. Commando much less easy and cheap...

Also this current Atari is still based out of the EU right? Commando isn't as easy to find in PAL land as it is here in NTSC either correct?

2 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Also this current Atari is still based out of the EU right? Commando isn't as easy to find in PAL land as it is here in NTSC either correct?

They are incorporated in the EU still but their HQ is in New York.

37 minutes ago, desiv said:

Is the MiSTer much better?   Yep.

Does it cost $129?   Nope...  ;-)

Not even close. You're looking at close to $400 for mister and Arcade compatibility is for shit. I get taht 7800 comapatibilty is good/great, but You can buy like 3-4 real 7800's for that price, or 1 real 7800 and a Retrotink and get much better results than a Mister.

Edited by John Stamos Mullet
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

Not even close. You're looking at close to $400 for mister and Arcade compatibility is for shit. I get taht 7800 comapatibilty is good/great, but You can buy like 3-4 real 7800's for that price, or 1 real 7800 and a Retrotink and get much better results than a Mister.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...

I love my MiSTer, but I don't have too many cartridges, and I'm fine with using ROMs. It's a great living room kind of system for me.

There's no way I'm buying the 2600+, especially because it's more like a 2600- in some ways.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, John Stamos Mullet said:

I almost got sucked into buying one of these.

Then I came here and reminded myself that none of my flash carts will work with it, so no thanks.

There's one cart that might work. Until it ships, we won't know for sure.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, desiv said:

Is the MiSTer much better?   Yep.

Does it cost $129?   Nope...

Good luck playing two button 7800 games on the current MiSTer 2600/7800 core with real controllers.  

They can't get SNAC working w/ the second button so you'll have to go USB and maybe use a 2600dapter-d9 if you insist.

...and no, they have no plans on fixing it bc the devs aren't interested.

• Like 1