IGNORED

Anyone care to check something for me. . . .

28 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I dunno about this other guy you mention, but I ain't passing any of my SNES mockups as actual in-development games--my Mode 0 shmup is however an early SNES game with working SNES code examples to show how it would work on the console directly, despite being mostly in the design and art phase--so maybe you and your like need to learn to read things like video descriptions better.

And maybe actually go create something yourself, even just some simple proof of concept SNES mockups if that's all you can manage.

Your weak-minded sheep-mob behaviour and words of attack are far less of a contribution to anything of any worth to the SNES scene than you imagine I'm not making.

Lot of anger there man. I just don’t get why. Like, you haven’t actually done anything… I’m sorry if I’m not impressed by your clip art. This is like that dude who was making Road Rash on the Jag. All of you guys have two things in common: 1) you, and you alone, possess these hardware secrets and 2) you’re super defensive about it. Make something playable before talking down to folks.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

I dunno about this other guy you mention, but I ain't passing any of my SNES mockups as actual in-development games--my Mode 0 shmup is however an early SNES game with working SNES code examples to show how it would work on the console directly, despite being mostly in the design and art phase--so maybe you and your like need to learn to read things like video descriptions better.

Then why don't you put in the video title it's a GameMaker demo? You won't do that because you want uninformed people to think it's actual SNES homebrew and that you're an SNES dev. Neither are true and you're being dishonest by burying that info in a word salad video description.

22 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

The examples I am making in GameMaker 8.1 are representative of what SNES is capable of, with minor differences I have pointed out in my own video descriptions. And anyone whole tells you otherwise is either flat out lying to you or just doesn't know how I'm doing what I'm doing in my examples to make sure they would work on SNES and is too proud to simply admit they only think/believe it couldn't be done from that perspective. 

None of your samples would work on a real SNES. Actual SNES devs have pointed this out to you and many of them are laughing at your more recent demos in the communities you've been banned from. The demos show a complete lack of understanding of the hardware to the point of being a troll parody.

Take your own advice and actually try learning the hardware and making something that actually runs on it.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Lot of anger there man. I just don’t get why. Like, you haven’t actually done anything… I’m sorry if I’m not impressed by your clip art. This is like that dude who was making Road Rash on the Jag. All of you guys have two things in common: 1) you, and you alone, possess these hardware secrets and 2) you’re super defensive about it. Make something playable before talking down to folks.

Credit to Vlad, at least he actually programmed on hardware. Kirk doesn't even own a SNES.

• Like 5

@jerseystyle @KidGameR186496 A piece of advice with Kirk (aka: Inceptional) giving him any rational, helpful, meaningful, or even worse instructive help is a really really bad idea.  He will get salty, push back, then ban(ignore) you on the site and add you to his honor wall of his signature while perpetually posting more half truths and lies acting like he isn't manually unlocking some of our posts as it's just too coincidental.

Either don't talk to him period, or give him lots of factual based info, pick apart his defrauding video clips and pictures he makes, and make it clear he can't convert you to his wrongful posts and ways of dealing with others.

Seriously look up Inceptional and SNES on google, you'll find him run out of communities, pushed back on, shamed, and just ridiculed for his behavior and lies in his posts while attacking actual coders in the community telling them how wrong they are and he isn't basically.  It's the classic smart ass grade schooler mentality of lash out, then run n hide.

Come to think about it now since I own a copy, I wonder how he would feel about Neko Tako for the SFC/SNES?  I'm sure there's a problem there, or you'll get the half baked response of it's a start, but I want more?

Short game, fun, worthwhile:

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, jerseystyle said:

Well, you and everyone else is free to read every single comment in here [and in many of my other threads] and see exactly what's going on if you really want to. So, here's what I'm going to do from now when someone makes a false statement and just dismisses the actual working SNES examples I've already posted multiple times here as well as on my YouTube channel and my Twitter page, which the posts in here almost always link to, basically because they're letting other people tell them what to think and how to act towards me: I'm just going to mute people like that so I don't have to keep explaining myself or argue over and over into a total black hole. That's not going to achieve anything worthwhile in here at all. All I want to do is talk about SNES and post my own game examples [be they actual in-development SNES stuff or proof of concept mockups] and share various articles and cool stuff around it. And I'm not going to waste any more breath trying to convince anyone of anything more around my own work, my understanding of SNES capabilities, or my own abilities here. I'm simply going to post about SNES, and whomever else can do whatever they want to do in here. But, hey, maybe some people in here--not all, but some--need to think about what they think they are actually doing with some of their posts and the motivations and intentions behind them--or not.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1

So, here's what I'm going to do from now when someone makes a false statement and just dismisses the actual working SNES examples I've already posted multiple times here as well as on my YouTube channel and my Twitter page, which the posts in here almost always link to, basically because they're letting other people tell them what to think and how to act towards me: I'm just going to mute people like that so I don't have to keep explaining myself or argue with them into a total void.

Translation: Stop arguing opinion with facts or I'll ban you too because I can't take it anymore.

The only thing he has developed is a cluster headache among the people here reading through all this.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

All I want to do is talk about SNES and post my own game examples [be they actual in-development SNES stuff or proof of concept mockups] and share various articles and cool stuff around it.

You can do that on your blog then. Link dumping and not interacting with anyone (ignoring anyone who disagrees with you, i.e. everyone) is not what a forum is for.

Edited by Mittens0407
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Come to think about it now since I own a copy, I wonder how he would feel about Neko Tako for the SFC/SNES?  I'm sure there's a problem there, or you'll get the half baked response of it's a start, but I want more?

Short game, fun, worthwhile:

Hey, thanks for posting that. I hadn't heard of the game before and it looks like a lot of fun (unlike these "demos" Kirk keeps crapping out). I think I am going to give it a try!

1 hour ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

or proof of concept mockups

Stop labeling your "proof of concepts" in a misleading manner. The majority of people on YouTube don't read descriptions, which is why the platform is overloaded with clickbait titles.

IMG_3698.jpeg

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

Even calling these "proof of concept" is misleading. They're literally just concepts, you prove said concept by running it on actual hardware. Which he can't. I think the most generous thing you could call these would be target renders, and target renders usually get scaled back an awful lot in actual development. Like these would have to be because they would not work as depicted.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, KidGameR186496 said:

GameMaker is not a benchmark for what the SNES is capable of.

And ironically there's a well known homebrew publisher that used Game Maker to create prototypes of SNES games without disclosing it (afaik). 😔 Most of these games are still not available for some reason. 😅

Feel free to ignore me as well, Kirk, but remember that everyone else can read the posts you ignore and that doesn't make you look good, believe me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

And ironically there's a well known homebrew publisher that used Game Maker to create prototypes of SNES games without disclosing it (afaik). 😔 Most of these games are still not available for some reason. 😅

Feel free to ignore me as well, Kirk, but remember that everyone else can read the posts you ignore and that doesn't make you look good, believe me.

Who is this well known homebrew developer?

I'll go check out for myself their ideas prototyped in GameMaker, unfinished or otherwise, and see what the real deal is there.

Also, some of you guys are clearly real confused regarding how you think I'm approaching my SNES ideas, prototypes and mockups--be they tested with actual running SNES code, as some already were, or made in GameMaker 8.1 or otherwise--no surprise there.

Like I said though, we'll all know the true nature of certain people in here in due course, and I know the truth about who I am, as does every other individual about themselves, so I'm fine with that.

The mob can throw all the stones it wants.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

So, here's what I'm going to do from now when someone makes a false statement and just dismisses the actual working SNES examples I've already posted multiple times here as well as on my YouTube channel and my Twitter page, which the posts in here almost always link to, basically because they're letting other people tell them what to think and how to act towards me: I'm just going to mute people like that so I don't have to keep explaining myself or argue over and over into a total black hole. 

I am eagerly awaiting for his IGNORE list to become longer than his actual posts.......Oh darn, I just remembered signatures are limited for content. Oh well, keep up the muting and ignoring Kirk, you can then post in your little bubble happily ignoring reality while everyone else is free to continue pointing out your nonsense for those who might not already be aware of it, it's a win-win scenario for all involved imho. 🤷‍♂️🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I won't tell it here publicly, sorry.

OK.

But you are certainly a little different to some other people in here, who'd be posting his entire [selectively edited] history online given half the chance. You know, to teach us all how terrible a person he is--based on pushing the same old funnelled troll and then mob narrative.

And it's interesting how, when someone maybe actually wants to check some "facts" for themselves rather than just follow the voice of the herd, some people aren't quite so forthcoming with the actual links to the real sources and such.

It's quite easy for someone to accuse someone else of something when either most people don't bother to do any real digging into the full picture/history themselves, so whatever story they're told just sticks, or it's not particularly easy for them do some proper firsthand checking of the real facts in their proper context if they actually want to.

But, hey, I guess he really must be completely ignorant of what he was creating and of the various limitations of SNES vs GameMaker or just very deliberately lying to us all, because that's the narrative, right:

Some "authority" who almost certainly doesn't know the full details told us all he was a bad man and that something he likely showed in early development and concepting for SNES but running in GameMaker at the time absolutely couldn't be done on SNES possibly based on their own ignorance of how it actually could actually be done on SNES in one way or another = truth.

Sounds about right.

Edited by Kirk_Johnston
  • Confused 4

3 hours ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

Also, some of you guys are clearly real confused regarding how you think I'm approaching my SNES ideas, prototypes and mockups--be they tested with actual running SNES code, as some already were, or made in GameMaker 8.1 or otherwise--no surprise there.

As far as I'm aware you were only able to beg a dev to make your basic mode 0 demos work on a real SNES twice. One was in a SMW hack that was a glitchy mess, the 2nd was a standalone ROM but also had some bad flickering issues from what I remember. Other than that none of your other demos were ever made to work on an SNES.

The issue with those mode 0 demos wasn't that they were beyond the SNES's capabilities, it was that you were going around calling yourself an SNES dev and telling people those game maker demos were real SNES games, when neither were true. Here you've gone a step further and are now making things that flat out can't work on a real SNES because you don't understand how the hardware works. And to make it worse you're using extremely flawed toddler logic of "Well my basic Mode 0 demo was made to work on an SNES so therefore any Gamemaker demo I make can work on an SNES!" It's incredibly flawed logic and anyone with at least half a brain can see the problem with it.

37 minutes ago, Kirk_Johnston said:

OK.

But you are certainly a little different to some other people in here, who'd be posting his entire [selectively edited] history online given half the chance. You know, to teach us all how terrible a person he is--based on pushing the same old funnelled troll and then mob narrative.

And it's interesting how, when someone maybe actually wants to check some "facts" for themselves rather than just follow the voice of the herd, some people aren't quite so forthcoming with the actual links to the real sources and such.

It's quite easy for someone to accuse someone else of something when either most people don't bother to do any real digging into the full picture/history themselves, so whatever story they're told just sticks, or it's not particularly easy for them do some proper firsthand checking of the real facts in their proper context if they actually want to.

But, hey, I guess he really must be completely ignorant of what he was creating and of the various limitations of SNES vs GameMaker or just very deliberately lying to us all, because that's the narrative, right:

Some "authority" who almost certainly doesn't know the full details told us all he was a bad man and that something he likely showed in early development and concepting for SNES but running in GameMaker at the time absolutely couldn't be done on SNES possibly based on their own ignorance of how it actually could actually be done on SNES in one way or another = truth.

Sounds about right.

Your reputation is no ones fault but your own. You could rectify that by actually trying to make some changes for the better. Actually learning how to do some homebrew programming on any old console would be a good starting point. It doesn't even have to be the SNES if that's too hard for now. You could start with something easier like the Genesis, PC-Engine, NES, etc. Heck even the Saturn and Dreamcast wouldn't be bad as both those have pretty nice C libraries that aren't too bad to work with. Doing that would show some actual dedication to learning the limitations of these older systems and making something.

But you probably won't do that because all you really care about deep down is console warring and attention whoring.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Nobody needs to edit your history to make you look bad. In fact, I think if you go back, nearly everyone on your little list started out being very patient with you and trying quite earnestly to engage with you and encourage you to make the next steps in development. You were then a massive prick to everyone while making no forward progress, and we all got sick of your attitude, your bullshit, and your excuses. Which is a pattern for you.
Maybe do a little self-reflection and try to understand why this happens to you everywhere you go. Here's a hint: it IS you and how you approach people. Everyone else here seems to get along with each other just fine. As much as you complain about how hard-done-by you are by everyone here, there aren't a lot of communities where someone would still be allowed to participate after publicly ignoring a moderator, never mind all the other venom you've spewed over your time here. Everyone has done everything they could to be accommodating for you, and all you ever seem to prove in your little crusade is how little you ever deserved what patience you've been shown.

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, WavyGravy said:

Nobody needs to edit your history to make you look bad. In fact, I think if you go back, nearly everyone on your little list started out being very patient with you and trying quite earnestly to engage with you and encourage you to make the next steps in development. You were then a massive prick to everyone while making no forward progress, and we all got sick of your attitude, your bullshit, and your excuses. Which is a pattern for you.
Maybe do a little self-reflection and try to understand why this happens to you everywhere you go. Here's a hint: it IS you and how you approach people. Everyone else here seems to get along with each other just fine. As much as you complain about how hard-done-by you are by everyone here, there aren't a lot of communities where someone would still be allowed to participate after publicly ignoring a moderator, never mind all the other venom you've spewed over your time here. Everyone has done everything they could to be accommodating for you, and all you ever seem to prove in your little crusade is how little you ever deserved what patience you've been shown.

Bryan Cranston Mic Drop GIF

• Like 1

I posted it in another thread given an amusing comment tied back to here, but we now actively have members into this stuff who won't return to this section of the board.  Why?  Kirk and only kirk.  They will not return to this forum until he is removed or grows up, and the second option isn't happening given this is a track record over not just multiple classic web forums but also more modern with reddit, discord, etc.  The usual talk big, understand so little, people get fed up, blame gets tossed, which runs into martyrdom, and finally a ban.  Yet here, somehow no ban so far.  Why?  More patience than is deserved and definitely earned.

I probably was more than patient than a number here who just stayed out or kept quiet, but enough is enough.

When it crosses into active members banning themselves from sections of the forum and threads that get infected with that level of incompetence, is that the line in the sand finally?

We're not a mob, and this isn't some gotcha crusade.  Sadly it's just dedicated members who equally if not more care that have their hands tied because we're not staff and can't take you out back, tie you blindfolded to the proverbial post, and hand over a final smoke.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I posted it in another thread given an amusing comment tied back to here, but we now actively have members into this stuff who won't return to this section of the board.  Why?  Kirk and only kirk.  They will not return to this forum until he is removed or grows up, and the second option isn't happening given this is a track record over not just multiple classic web forums but also more modern with reddit, discord, etc.  The usual talk big, understand so little, people get fed up, blame gets tossed, which runs into martyrdom, and finally a ban.  Yet here, somehow no ban so far.  Why?  More patience than is deserved and definitely earned.

I probably was more than patient than a number here who just stayed out or kept quiet, but enough is enough.

When it crosses into active members banning themselves from sections of the forum and threads that get infected with that level of incompetence, is that the line in the sand finally?

We're not a mob, and this isn't some gotcha crusade.  Sadly it's just dedicated members who equally if not more care that have their hands tied because we're not staff and can't take you out back, tie you blindfolded to the proverbial post, and hand over a final smoke.

image.gif.eccb909f8f3ef7b86287d457703a689f.gif

• Haha 1

So I did some math on his demos and I don't think he even fits into VRAM. He's doing his math based on this post: Space for 256-colour image plus second background? - nesdev.org

But that post is assuming you have only a 256x224 image on screen with no scrolling. He is scrolling here and it's scrolling smoothly with no update jank on the sides from updating the tiles and tile map data in VRAM. From how I understand things for that to work he'd need at least a buffer of tiles on the side of the screen to try and hide the updating, possibly even more. So if we assume he needs it to be 272x224 worth of image, the math works out like this:

• 272x224 comes to 238 (17 tiles wide x 14 tiles high) 16x16 tiles. At 8bpp that comes to 60,928 Bytes.
  • Smallest Tilemap is 32x32, and he's going to need 2 of those. So 4,096 bytes there.

At this point we're at 65,024 bytes. Which is almost all of the 64KB we have for VRAM. But he still has more to draw:

• His 2bpp layer has at least 14 unique 16x16 tiles in it, so that would need about 896 Bytes.
  • He's also going to need about 22 8x8 4bpp tiles for his HUD. It's not scrolling with the 2bpp layer so I'm guessing it's sprites here. So That's another 704 bytes.
  • His Goomba will need 4 8x8 tiles at 4bpp, so another 128 Bytes.
  • The Alucard sprite is going to need roughly 22 8x8 tiles at any given time if I'm looking at it correctly, so another 704 bytes.

So he would still need about 2,432 Bytes. In totally he'd need almost 66KB to display just the 8bpp layer, the 2bpp layer, the HUD, Alucard, and Goombas.

In short, these demos can't work at all even at the basic VRAM level. The only way it could possibly work was if he only used exactly one screens worth of tiles in VRAM with no buffer to allow for smooth tile updates as it scrolled. If he did that it would come to just a few bytes shy of 64KB. But then he'd have obvious errors on the sides of the screen as he tried to update the tiles and tilemap as it scrolled since he'd have no off screen buffer.

Edited by TrekkiesUnite118
Tired Math errors
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4