IGNORED

Hey! What are you playing right now?

Living Room Arcade

Nothing right now until my power adapter comes in but yes I DO have the Qyx demo (and all the other Champ Games demos) ready and rarin' to go on my Harmony Encore when it comes in and I can finally dig into my newly-acquired 2600 Jr. Short Rainbow (got it back on Wednesday out of Toronto) for the first time since my 5200's VCS adapter took a dump on me earlier this year, I's also like to get going with Galagon, Gorf Arcade and Wizard Of Wor Arcade too!!! maybe the adapter will be in on Monday, if not then Tuesday at the latest. I was mailed out back on Thursday morning from Long Island.

FINALLY NO MORE GODDAMN FLASHBACK 9 BS!!!

• Like 1

Robomechanik.  Love the combination of puzzles and action, and really like the music (some of the best on the system, IMHO).

Looking forward to perhaps seeing a finished version one day.  That's not to say that the current version (WIP 4, IIRC) is broken or anything - just that it'll be interesting to see how it shakes out in the end.

• Like 1

Played standard version of Mappy. I try to at least play through to level 15.(only got to 12 this time)

Star Castle, just to knock some of the champ game high scores out of the way.(this is one of the few games that tracks the high scores right in the game itself)

Gorf for the same reason with save-key keeping track of scores for me.

I play Beef Drop almost daily on the 7800 on expert version.(the regular version is just to slow) If my brain cooperates I can get thru the game levels three times.

2600 Chaotic Grill > 5200/8-bit Beef Drop

i just enjoy what @splendidnut has been able to do with his 2600 rendition of Burgertime more than I do of the late Ken Siders’ version of it on Big Sexy/XEGS, Chaotic Grill is more colorful and has more fluent motion and a pretty good soundtrack to it as well considering the 2600’s limitations.

So much great homebrew to play!  

@BIGHMW  Yeah, that Burger Time homebrew is outrageous.  So much better than the Mattel version in 1982, isn't it?  

@x=usr(1536)  Thanks for posting that, I downloaded RoboMechanik, definitely need to have a try with that.  

@cvga  Bejeweled for Atari 2600?  Cool!  Nice high score.  

@dwh  Mappy.  Cool.  Looks more like ColecoVision than Atari 2600, doesn't it?  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update

Midnight Magic & Backgammon

50385.thumb.jpg.e4241791943e3b82f232232e36add514.jpg

Midnight Magic: This pinball game is very difficult for me but I like it.  I haven't earned an extra ball yet.  The farthest I've gotten so far was I knocked down all five targets on top and the table turned blue and I got the x2 multiplier going for a few seconds.  I recommend this game if you like pinball video games.  

Backgammon: First, I had to read the rules and learn how to play.  Then, I played this video game.  I like it.  It looks great.  The dice are nice and big and easy to read.  The board looks nice.  It's very colorful.  The gameplay is smooth.  You can play against the computer or a friend.  I recommend this game if you like board games.  

• 3 weeks later...

Beamrider (Activision, 1983).  Really love this game for Atari 2600.  I love the look of it and the gameplay is fantastic.  

The 3D look, the Tron-like electro-theme.  I like the way your ship kind of locks into place at each allowed position.

It kind of locks the action into tracks, making for a kind of gameplay that's different from all the Space Invader clones.

(Nothing against those.  I love those.  Just sayin'.)  I learned how to use the missiles to destroy the boss ship at the end

of the level.  And I learned to catch the yellow falling thing to get an extra life.  What a neat game.  Really enjoying playing this one.  

The "Rambo" titles

Front Line (Coleco 1984)

Commando (Activision 1988)

Ikari Warriors (Atari 1991)

I like all three, but I was spending more time on Commando.  In Commando, I like the end of the levels where you have to destroy a number of enemies and then blow up the enemy HQ.  The crossfire becomes intense!  Hold down the joystick button to lob grenades.  Really, couldn't ask for more out of an Atari 2600 title.  It's pretty sweet.  

BTW, are there any more "Rambo" titles out there, maybe by another publisher or homebrews?  

On 10/2/2023 at 3:49 PM, Living Room Arcade said:

Beamrider (Activision, 1983).  Really love this game for Atari 2600.  I love the look of it and the gameplay is fantastic.  

The 3D look, the Tron-like electro-theme.  I like the way your ship kind of locks into place at each allowed position.

It kind of locks the action into tracks, making for a kind of gameplay that's different from all the Space Invader clones.

(Nothing against those.  I love those.  Just sayin'.)  I learned how to use the missiles to destroy the boss ship at the end

of the level.  And I learned to catch the yellow falling thing to get an extra life.  What a neat game.  Really enjoying playing this one.  

This is my favorite game for any system. I first played it on my best friend's Intellivision back in the day and later purchased it for my Atari. It's amazing on any system. I love all of things you mentioned plus the way it continuously introduces new enemies and speeds up the action. My location of Sector 36 is a reference to Beamrider even though my avatar is Bonk from Bonk's Adventure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 4:39 PM, The Eyeball Mural said:

I wish I was playing Penult, but I can't make it happen just now!  :(

While you're waiting for Penult, throw Dragonstomper (ROM, manual, guide with maps) onto your Harmony cart.  (Note: I have never played it, but it looks good.)  It says it's a big, 25kb ROM, putting you into a world many times bigger than your TV screen.  Along your journey, you'll accumulate strength, gold, dexterity, weapons and spells.  There's an onscreen inventory system, turn based combat and full-screen interiors of shops, caves and hospitals.  The story unfolds as you play out this RPG where you are the hero.

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 1:27 AM, Living Room Arcade said:

While you're waiting for Penult, throw Dragonstomper (ROM, manual, guide with maps) onto your Harmony cart.

Good advice! I've waded into Dragonstomper just a litte bit and it is on my list of games to dive into (along with Sword of Saros). I like what I've seen of it so far. I never played any Supercharger games back in the day, so they are "like new" to me. As for the Harmony Cart, I have no real hardware at all right now, just Stella on my PC. That's what stands between me and Penult!

• Like 1