IGNORED

Strangest phenominon ever on my c64 1541 diskdrive

johannesmutlu

On 9/24/2023 at 10:21 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Your seller appears to be a comprehensive shop for modern Commodore and Amiga piracy.  Someone could argue the whole AbAnDoNwArE position, but he/she is selling commercial homebrew releases, too.

http://commodorecollection.com/

I've reported this user to eBay many times. Nothing ever happens.

It's pretty far from fair use or any other claim that they may have and as you say, they sell copies of modern games too. Downloading a d64 with a cracked version of Mario Bros from 1987 to play in your emulator or on your C64 is one thing but trying to make a living on mass distribution is something else.

A lot of the titles are Nintendo titles and I'm certain that the word abandonware isn't in the Nintendo vocabulary.

On 9/24/2023 at 4:21 PM, OLD CS1 said:

Your seller appears to be a comprehensive shop for modern Commodore and Amiga piracy.  Someone could argue the whole AbAnDoNwArE position, but he/she is selling commercial homebrew releases, too.

http://commodorecollection.com/

This is disgusting.

However, eBay will do nothing about it. You can report it until you are blue in the face. They will (may) only listen to a copyright holder with a C&D.

11 hours ago, hofster said:

I've reported this user to eBay many times. Nothing ever happens.

It's pretty far from fair use or any other claim that they may have and as you say, they sell copies of modern games too. Downloading a d64 with a cracked version of Mario Bros from 1987 to play in your emulator or on your C64 is one thing but trying to make a living on mass distribution is something else.

A lot of the titles are Nintendo titles and I'm certain that the word abandonware isn't in the Nintendo vocabulary.

Pretty much every site now has taken the stance that, unless you own the copyright, you cannot make a complaint.  The website for this seller is on Weebly, and you have to go through a DMCA process which requires you state you own the copyright and become an affiant.  eBay simply lacks the proper complaint categories.

So, unless the owners of the copyrights involved make complaints, grifters like this get away scot-free.  These sites simply do not care.  (In the email world we deal with "pink contracts," selling of mass-mailing services to spammers, turning a blind-eye, or, in the case of Salesforce, actually running interference for the spammers, in return for additional service fees.)

1 hour ago, R.Cade said:

However, eBay will do nothing about it. You can report it until you are blue in the face. They will (may) only listen to a copyright holder with a C&D.

I just got off the phone with Nintendo.  Its reporting process for IP violation is amazingly stream-lined.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, i might have found the solution for my 1541 diskdrive,instead of opening the diskdrive to clean the reading head,why not trying Memorex disk cleaning kit instead???

It might just much simpler but not less effective then doing it that way,unless somebody can clearly prove me that memorex cleaning kit doesn’t work properly and/or could potentially damage the diskdrive,otherwise i might consider buying memorex cleaning kit for my 1541 diskdrive and try it out myself,andrian from youtube proved that it work on his apple || C diskdrive so i just can’t see why it wouldn’t fix it,but as of now it might be an considerable option to me as an easy solution😁😁

B01A6D46-A286-4DC6-AC4D-C11957B4A3B9.jpeg

Those work, just not as well as manual cleaning.

Also be careful if there is a window on top of the cleaning disk also, that it can damage or wear away the felt pad on top that presses down on the disk surface. Most cleaning disks are for double sided drives and have that window, but some are for single-sided drives like the 1541.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johannesmutlu said:

Hey guys, i might have found the solution for my 1541 diskdrive,instead of opening the diskdrive to clean the reading head,why not trying Memorex disk cleaning kit instead???

The primary argument is age and cost.  It is less expensive to open the case and use a cotton swab with isopropyl.  But, if you can get a NIB ("new in box") head cleaning disk, go for it.

1 hour ago, johannesmutlu said:

unless somebody can clearly prove me that memorex cleaning kit doesn’t work properly and/or could potentially damage the diskdrive

Well, you can damage your head using these cleaning kits, as they are actually abrasive.  That said, you could also damage the head doing it manually.  I own a kit full of cleaning disks because they do work so well and I picked it up cheaply.  Sadly, I will likely never be able to find refills again, but generally speaking I use them for irregular maintenance and I bring out the swabs for the big jobs so they should last a while longer.

MAKE CERTAIN that you do NOT remove the upper-head cover on the cleaning disk.  These kits usually come with the ability to clean a double-sided drive and have a cover over the top hole for use in single-sided drives.  If you remove that cover and use it in your 1541, you can damage the felt pressure pad which can, in turn, damage disks.

• Like 1