IGNORED

Bad day in the office / L33 details

macsonny

Hi All,

Just discovered that I've somehow managed to break off L33 on my 520STFM. Look like there are normally 3 of them in a row and I've broken off the top one.

The broken part has "102" with the 2 underlined stamped on it.

Anyone know what the value of this item is and any specifics I need to know when purchasing a new unit?

Thanks

macsonny

IMG_3400.jpeg

IMG_3401.jpeg

It's a 1000uH inductor, however it looks like it has 3 terminals so may have 2 inductors internally.

The center terminal looks like it's connected to the ground plane, unfortunately I can't find a circuit diagram

of this revision board that shows these inductors type.

Just found a diagram that shows the device, as I suspected it's a double device with an internal capacitor to ground.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture, but this is the best I could find.

image.png.734c28563ef4b096aab3e0005e1b0c86.png

It's connected in series with one of the Floppy Disk lines (they all have one of these), again it's so fuzzy I don't know which

line it's connected to.

The good news, as long as you can source one I don't suppose it matters which line its on.

I got this detail from the 1040ST circuit diagram, so the actual component names may be different, but functionally they

are identical. 

If you have trouble sourcing one of these, you could solder 3 vertical wires into the circuit board and lay this device on top of the

remaining 2 and see if there's enough of the stumps on the device to solder these wires onto, not ideal, but maybe worth a try.

Failing that you could put a shorting link across the 2 outer pins (please avoid the centre pin), it should work ok, but you never

know how much noise could be on that line (this is the last resort :) )

It looks like the filters are for the MIDI port. My unit boots fine now as it appears the booting issue was with my 4 meg upgrade - not the inductor. 

The inductors are right next to the MIDI ports so I figure it's filtering for the MIDI as you have suggested. I might just leave for now as everything seems to be working now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, snarkdluG said:

Some have filters on the MIDI ports

You are right, L33 is on the Midi out port, it's not on the signal lines, but on a pullup resistor, so unless you

plan to use Midi it's all good, personally I think there's no real need for the inductor there, I think a link

would be ok.

12 hours ago, JamesWD said:

These are what i had in my ST that i used to replace :

https://uk.farnell.com/murata/dss1nb32a102q91a/cap-1000pf-10-100v-6a-radial-th/dp/3471207?CMP=e-email-sys-orderack-GLB

If you look at the datasheet it is exactly the same internals as detail 2 from the ST schematic 

Thank you! Perfect.