IGNORED

C64 MAXI is broken.

DavidC

I bought a C64 MAXI when they first came out.  Used it probably 10 times, all worked great.  I tried it the other day, and it won't power on.  

I tried several different USB power supplies, and different cords,  I tried powering it thru the USB port with a powered USB hub.  NOTHING.

I opened it up today, the leads running to the red LED power light were touching, bare metal sections of the Red and Black leads were touching. I assume that 

shorted something out and it is now a plastic pile of crap.   I googled it, did not find much of any info regarding a C64 MAXI not powering on. 

Maybe I am missing something, MAYBE there is still hope.....anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this thing to force it to work (I am thinking about smashing it with a 20lbs sledge hammer, just to see it explode)  can I use the keyboard with a raspberry pi running VICE?  That would be cool....

Any ideas? 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DavidC said:

Maybe I am missing something, MAYBE there is still hope.....anyone have any ideas of what I can do with this thing to force it to work (I am thinking about smashing it with a 20lbs sledge hammer, just to see it explode)  can I use the keyboard with a raspberry pi running VICE?  That would be cool....

Good luck with the repair.  At least the case and keyboard seem really nice, and would be a shame to have to throw them out.

Now I am going to have to open mine and make sure there are no potential shorts.

19 minutes ago, OLD CS1 said:

Good luck with the repair.  At least the case and keyboard seem really nice, and would be a shame to have to throw them out.

Now I am going to have to open mine and make sure there are no potential shorts.

I think it's toast, and I am kinda pissed about it.  But, I wouldn't mind slapping a RPi in there..if the keyboard will work with it.  It is beyond my realm of knowledge though.  Maybe there is a youtube tutorial? 🤣    😂  damn it.

I have no idea how that thing is built and I don't know if there are any schematics out there but I doubt that shorting the power LED to GND would destroy the unit beyond repair if it's just a power LED.

If the LED is just connected between power and GND, it's more likely that you've blown a fuse or a voltage regulator or something which would be a cheap repair for anyone with the skills.

If the LED is controlled by the FPGA on the other hand... who knows.

Rebuilding it using an RPi or something might be the way to go.

I highly doubt a short in a power LED caused this either. And, I regret to say I really don't think it will be serviceable. It's one of those cheap little SOC boards in these, ARM based IIRC...not an FPGA. Think the boards in other mini retro consoles.

I couldn't find much of anything either except some people on Lemon64 where theirs died too:

https://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=73518

I don't think this is a widespread thing and those posts are quite old, but it's still unsettling for this to just give up the ghost for no apparent reason. 

On 9/19/2023 at 9:53 PM, OLD CS1 said:

So, Retrogames is replicating not just the Commodore 64, but also its early years' reliability?

I never thought about it that way, but nail on the head!

But, will they replicate support? 

Actually, if they do nothing for you they would replicate that as well.

• Haha 1