IGNORED

I wonder when it will be that people will become nostalgic for RF (and composite)

eightbit

On 9/15/2023 at 3:10 PM, Emehr said:

I think there's a sweet spot in that later 8-bit (NES/SMS) and 16-bit era (Genesis/SuperNES/Turbo) where the games just look better on CRT. The pixel sizes were at just the right size to take advantage of that CRT blending byproduct. Games like Golden Axe or Super Metroid just don't look right without it.

Guys, guys, not to worry. There's an easy solution. Just buy a $1,000 Retrotink 4K and spend two hours goobing around with the settings to get your HDR 4K OLED tuned in just right. It looks just like a CRT. Your non-gamer friends won't think it's weird at all when you explain how they too can have an easy "plug and play" solution to hook up their old Genesis they've got sitting in a box in the garage.

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, DJ Clae said:

Guys, guys, not to worry. There's an easy solution. Just buy a $1,000 Retrotink 4K and spend two hours goobing around with the settings to get your HDR 4K OLED tuned in just right. It looks just like a CRT. Your non-gamer friends won't think it's weird at all when you explain how they too can have an easy "plug and play" solution to hook up their old Genesis they've got sitting in a box in the garage.

There is the other side of the coin of explaining to people why you have a 30 year old TV with 15 retro consoles hooked up to it for that "authentic 1987 experience." Because that's more normal than having a 4k TV. 

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, madman said:

There is the other side of the coin of explaining to people why you have a 30 year old TV with 15 retro consoles hooked up to it for that "authentic 1987 experience." Because that's more normal than having a 4k TV. 

Judging by what I tend to see fairly often it would be explaining to people why you have several stacks of 30 year old TVs...  

Can't say I'm nostalgic for RF/composite. I bought an s-video Trinitron in 1996 to eliminate a lot of the blur.

These days I use upscalers on HDTVs. I'm no retro purist and I'm playing these old games now the way I wanted to back then when I couldn't. On the biggest color TV I can get. That just happens to be modern flat panels.

• Like 2

I honestly don't think there's a single advantage to RF, at least composite is simple and the image is way better, with RF you have to consider signal interferences, the image in the middle of a crowded city is worse than in a suburb or rural areas. Something that occurred frequently was a neighbor seeing your videogame while he was trying to watch TV on the same channel, of course nowadays everyone watches Digital TV, so it's not a problem anymore.

Besides, RF modulator take a lot of energy and space inside the console, if you AV mod it the console is mostly likely going to work for more time without the need for repairs. And if you really want RF, the external modulator posted above seems like a better option.

And if you really want to dig into real world examples of various problems with RF due to or aside from signal interference it's not hard.

- NES toploader, and a few others -- jailbars in the video, cheap piss poor RF option with inadequate shielding.

- Blur whichever, the images tend to just seem fuzzy and anything but sharp

- Smear/ghosting again another whichever, you tend to see your image, then some of it (usually white and red I recall) that tends to smear horizontally away from the intended display

RF sucks, other than not using some old U connector setup for even older TVs, I can't think you can really do any worse.

It’s the right thing for the right time, like having access to leaded gasoline for an old engine. Most people would choose the modern, cleaner engine that can do the same thing with less mess. 

I loved my old games but digital AV is nicer. My kid finds chunky graphics “disgusting.” We’ll need to clear space for the younguns eventually. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flojomojo said:

It’s the right thing for the right time, like having access to leaded gasoline for an old engine.

This exactly. If a console already sported composite I wouldn't use RF. I always used what was available to me at the time for the most part. I don't believe I had a composite cable for the VIC-20 or C64 so I did use RF with those for some time as a kid...but those are the exceptions. 

The RF I am nostalgic for is the era of RF only. Colecovision, Atari 2600/7800, Atari 5200, Intellivision and so on. It was not as crisp as composite could be of course, but like I said it did in most cases look really good. It always had a slight level of interference and I think that added to the charm and my nostalgia for the look.

I don't mind RF at all for earlier systems. Assuming it isn't loaded with static (looking at you, most to all of my Colecovisions).

I noticed when I started playing 7800 Joust on my composite modded system...the lovely ghost trails behind the ostriches disappeared. While it wasn't enough for me to go back to RF (few games seem to benefit in this way) I for sure prefer the original look that I grew up with. The more basic the game, the more I think RF is just fine. I sure do miss those "trails"....

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

RF sucks, other than not using some old U connector setup for even older TVs, I can't think you can really do any worse.

Sweet baby jesus...the screws!!!! The absolute worst, I will agree there. Nothing like needing a tool every time you want to change a source.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GoldenWheels said:

Sweet baby jesus...the screws!!!! The absolute worst, I will agree there. Nothing like needing a tool every time you want to change a source.

That's funny and there's a funny story behind this. I believe it was 1982....I was seven. One of my school friends had a VIC-20 and of course I wanted one. My grandmother bought one for me and my six year old mind just couldn't figure out how to hook it up to the only color TV in the house (hers) because of the screws. My folks were not good with any of this stuff. I am surprised they even knew how to plug stuff into outlets...lets put it that way.

We returned it and went to Radio Shack. The sales guy's pitch to us was that "those computers are just too hard to hook up" and sold us a CoCo 2. Well, guess what, that hooked up the same way...lol. 

End of the day I figured it out and was then pissed off that I returned the VIC-20!

• Haha 1

The only experience I have the pitch fork connector from hell was my moms and her friends (they both had the same) Fairchild Channel F which had the usual generic black plated TV <-> GAME slider.  That thing sucked.  Sucked to wire up if it ever popped off, and just had a feed awful enough to beat RF in a contest finding the bottom of the toilet bowl the fastest.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I should add that I do have some tricks up my sleeve that I have been using for many years in order to obtain "better RF". One being using the proper RF cables as mentioned before. Another is using those coax to RF adapters instead of switchboxes, and the last is to use an amplified (powered) RF video selector:

Picture 1 of 5

Radio Shack Archer Amplified Video Selector 15-2100, TV, VCR, Cable ...

I have found using these powered amplified switchboxes the RF signal is a ton better and in most cases right on par with composite. Just a tip for people who want to use RF and keep it original ;)

Edited by eightbit

On 9/17/2023 at 3:48 AM, Lord Innit said:

I always wanted my consoles to give the nice crisp, vibrant images that you got in the arcade. So, RF holds no nostalgia for me. Just had to put up with it til something better came along. 

But the charm is it didn't look crisp 40+ years ago.  So 4k does not recreate the childhood experience.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, eightbit said:

I should add that I do have some tricks up my sleeve that I have been using for many years in order to obtain "better RF". One being using the proper RF cables as mentioned before. Another is using those coax to RF adapters instead of switchboxes, and the last is to use an amplified (powered) RF video selector:

Are you talking about using a F-type adapter to convert RF to a coaxial cable in lieu of using a traditional TV/Game switchbox? Otherwise I'm sort of confused since RF ultimately is going across via a coaxial connection somewhere down the line unless it's a really old set with VHF screws, so I don't really know what you mean when you're talking about converting coaxial to RF.

I say that because either the console's RF switch only has coaxial out (such as Nintendo's designs during the 8-64 bit years and perhaps even on the GameCube for the minority that didn't at least have composite inputs by then), because you're having to use a VHF to coaxial adapter for your TV/Game switchbox due to the lack of VHF screw connectors on your television, because you're using a slightly less ancient TV/Game switchbox that actually can output via a coaxial cable (the last few that I got from Radio Shack in the 90's had that in addition to the traditional VHF connections), or because you're using the F-type adapter attached to something like the 2600's RF cable to directly interface it to a television's coaxial input.

Edited by Atariboy

17 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

I'm confused. Are you talking about F-type adapters in lieu of TV/Game switchboxes? Otherwise I'm sort of confused since RF ultimately is going across via a coaxial connection somewhere down the line unless it's a really old set with VHF screws.

I apologize, I should probably elaborate and use the proper terminology for these adapters. I'm just used to calling them "coax to RF" for some reason. I am indeed referring to using RCA Female to F-Type Male Video Adapters versus the old switchbox "tv/game" boxes we are all too familiar with. I actually have two of those sitting in front of my on the bench as I type ;) But, these I am referring to via the attached image.

Taking the tv/game box out of the equation is step one to better clarity over RF. Second is to use the proper cable. Attached is a reference image of what those look like. I think folks who have old RF based game consoles know what these are.

And, using the aforementioned amplified switchbox also helps, although it is not necessary if you have only one console connected via RF. I think you would be fine with the proper RF cable and the RCA to f-type adapter.

1280_oUivT4ngIg01.jpg

41Xg0xgLS3L.jpg

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, 0078265317 said:

But the charm is it didn't look crisp 40+ years ago.  So 4k does not recreate the childhood experience.

Don't recall mentioning 4K. My point was I didn't care for the RF image bitd and longed for something like the arcades of the time.  All vibrant and crisp, not washed out. Something like arcade Galaxian, which if I recall, was not 4K, but certainly had a nice crisp image on a CRT screen. When I bought the Master System and found it could output RGB, a Scart lead was an instant purchase.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lord Innit said:

When I bought the Master System and found it could output RGB, a Scart lead was an instant purchase.

Yeah, some of us in the USA (at least me and my friends) had no idea the SMS could output RGB...heck we didn't even have TV's that could use it. As a matter of fact, I don't even think we realized we could use the large DIN connection for composite until the Genesis...lol.

We grew up using the SMS via the included RF box and we loved every minute of it ;)

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 8:35 AM, Razzie.P said:

OP:  Anyone nostalgic for RF?

Responses: 

Some games always look better on CRT!

Mod that thang!

Here's a device that makes it look kinda like a CRT!

This is def the retro gamer's version of:

Person1:   Hey everyone, what's the best steakhouse in town?

Person2:  My house bc I make the best steak.

Person3:  Make a good steak is easy, why are you even having someone else do it?

• Like 2

On 9/19/2023 at 3:52 PM, eightbit said:

I have found using these powered amplified switchboxes the RF signal is a ton better and in most cases right on par with composite. Just a tip for people who want to use RF and keep it original ;)

What are some good affordable amplified RF switches you recommend?

I've been using a splitter and while the interference is low, I find that some consoles like my Odyssey2 will add interference (unless unplugged) even when turned off.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DIGAIRS