IGNORED

DonkEye or PopKong

Zonie

I often wonder what Popeye would have looked like if Nintendo got the rights to Popeye when they originally tried to and developed DK. Was DK Popeye with quickly recreated characters? I think so. Wouldn't it be fun to be in that smoke filled Japanese conference room when they worked that all out?

I also wonder, if it would have been the smash hit that DK was. Of that, I'm on the fence. As a Gen X'er, Popeye was definitely something we watched, but it was old already. More of a Boomer cartoon that was on afternoon tv kids shows, not mainstream saturday morning.

Was the Robin Williams Popeye movie the driving factor? Personally I don't care for musicals really at all, but Popeye is one of my top ten favorite movies of all time, and even though I can stream it, when it is on TV, I watch it.

Were the prizes like the purse or the umbrella supposed to be hamburgers and cans of spinach?

So this makes me wonder, If a great home brewer such as Pacmanplus (nudge, nudge; wink, wink) were to hack DK with Popeye graphics, would it be cool?

What would the gaming scene look like today without DK and his cohorts?

Oh, When did Brutus (brutisk, as Popeye pronounced it) become Bluto? And Why?

PS, I love hamburgers and creamed spinach.

Edited by Zonie

Brutus was created because King Features Syndicate mistakenly thought that Bluto was created and owned by Famous Studios/Paramount Studios, when it turns out that Bluto had been created for the comic strip.  They didn't figure it out for decades, but when they did, the name reverted back to Bluto. (And, later, Bluto and Brutus were established as separate characters, twin brothers)

• Like 1