IGNORED

Gamestation Pro

Dr Karnov

Atariboy said:  "He says N64 roms don't load, so presumably there's nothing to test out for performance on that end.

I'm not entirely sure how they're working yet also not working, but I take it that the system at least attempts to load them while other file extensions don't do anything. Sadly my teasing of him seems to have ended his involvement in the thread, so I assume we won't see any clarification on the matter until this reaches more people's hands."

@Atariboy  Not to overplay the overheating aspect, but simply, if anyone here would get their hands on a GSP, just turn it on and flip it over and look and listen and feel for air flow, see if there is a cooling fan operating.  Since the GSP was made for Atari 2600/7800 games, guessing there is no cooling fan, guessing it might be fine for NES, SNES, Genesis but might possibly overheat for N64.  

Edited by Living Room Arcade
  • Like 1

having a hard time getting roms recognized off the sd card.   Tried using .a26 games format.   Going to upload a video soon and need to show this.   If anyone can help please let me know.   I tried looking above to see how to do it, but just not having success.  

• Like 1

Interesting, I was watching tv and noticed on the shopping channel (Canada) that they had an Atari showcase.  They had the Gamestation for $140 Canadian and they also had the other two MyArcade items as well... the mini and handheld.  Not getting any of these but thought it was interesting that they are on the shopping channel.

I was really shocked to see Atari on the channel guide... I was curious to see what they had.  I was kind of hoping they would have had some other items such as a VCS for Canadians to order.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swlovinist said:

having a hard time getting roms recognized off the sd card.   Tried using .a26 games format.   Going to upload a video soon and need to show this.   If anyone can help please let me know.   I tried looking above to see how to do it, but just not having success.  

Does the .bin format work?   It seems (at least from my limited experience over the past two years) to be the more popular choice of the past few years but admittedly I'm basing that off of more homebrew titles than official back in the day ones.

Edited by LatchKeyKid

On 9/29/2023 at 9:59 PM, ThirdGenGamer said:

Quick Update from Tests

Orig:
Ok here is what I got to work so far:  2600, 5200, 7800, NES, SNES, GEN, GBA, PCE, GB, N64, NDS.

Tests show:
4 systems do not load roms:  PCE/SNES/NDS and N64 🙁
1 System Added to list : GG
So that's 8 known systems - Not too bad 🙂
NTFS supported on SD cards.  (USE A Fast CARD!)

Edit:  So I thought of something else.  In order for your 2600 game to run it must have an extention of .a26 not bin.  Both sets exist.
Another example: 2 sets for 32X.  Sorry both sets don't work.  The fun continues...

So the system understands the following extentions: .N64,.PCE,.SNES,.NDS,.ISO (I have no idea what system is ISO- I've tested several.),.bin. 
In my opinion, this shows possible future updates or maybe it already exists and we don't know about it.  BIN acts a little different. 

The system will try to load a *.bin file.  I've tried all the *.bin files I can think of.  I will continue to test and keep you guys up to date.
-ThirdGenGamer

I was using a fat32 format, maybe that is the issue?   What about brands?   I have a generic and Onn so now I will buy a brand card and see if the unit is picky.  

• Like 1

On 9/28/2023 at 5:53 PM, ThirdGenGamer said:

I picked up one at Costco in Denver!  Love this little thing!  I've wired up my wireless controllers with no issues.
Sorry - I don't want to wait until the end of October to fill my SD card.  I won't say where the directory is but if you look up the Atari Flashback 50th Anniversary, it has the same directory name. 🙂

Swlovinist, I think this post has a hint of what the folder name needs to be in order for the Gamestation Pro to recognize files.

Edited by Megadragon15

Thanks for all the tissues Guys!  Atariboy - If you had a question ask it like a question - lol ✌️

Swlovinist -
Make sure you have a directory named "Games" in the root.  It is case sensitive.
Start with a handful of games on a card.  I had 6000 roms and it took 25 minutes to read.
So far from tests I say 500-600 depending on rom size.  I use NTFS without a problem.
I use crappy little cards but see there is a difference with faster cards.
Do you get a blank blue page with only .a26?  If you do it doesn't like your version of the roms.
You know that if your blue screen has roms it either supports it now or in the future.
-ThirdGenGamer

• Like 2

I'm still looking into the possible bin extension.  Loaded 8 different types of bin files.  It tries to load but no go.
The system reads Gen games from a bin file.  It may be that bin files only work for Gen and not other systems.

The joysticks have no lag when plugged in.  There is a slight lag of 2.4 that I couldn't overcome. 
I have several spinners and trackballs that should be cool to test

There is no fan in the system.  It is quiet.
-ThirdGenGamer

Edited by ThirdGenGamer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.cabb20b9c5078cd86b2105a4a54af75e.jpg

Here's what it looks like inside - Looking for some insight!
By the way it worked when I put it back together.
I also plugged it into a computer to see if it would recognize it.  No Go
Plugged in a Razor mouse.  It connected because the mouse stopped blinking, but I saw nothing being controlled.

-ThirdGenGamer

Edited by ThirdGenGamer
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, ThirdGenGamer said:

thumbnail.thumb.jpg.cabb20b9c5078cd86b2105a4a54af75e.jpg

Here's what it looks like inside - Looking for some insight!
By the way it worked when I put it back together.
I also plugged it into a computer to see if it would recognize it.  No Go
Plugged in a Razor mouse.  It connected because the mouse stopped blinking, but I saw nothing being controlled.

-ThirdGenGamer

Wow that looks extremely cheap.  Like a 25 dollar device not a 100 dollar device.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThirdGenGamer said:

I'm still looking into the possible bin extension.  Loaded 8 different types of bin files.  It tries to load but no go.
The system reads Gen games from a bin file.  It may be that bin files only work for Gen and not other systems.

That's disappointing.  Most every Atari homebrew I want to play is in .bin format.  :(

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

Wow that looks extremely cheap.  Like a 25 dollar device not a 100 dollar device.

I think they published the specs a while back and it wasn't great.  It's enough to emulate 8 and 16 bit without issues but asking for more is a stretch.  I just considered it a plug in version of the various handhelds that play the same eras of retro games plus two full size multibutton joysticks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 0078265317 said:

While a surprising sight if you've never looked inside a modern plug & play, it's not an unusual sight.

Plug & plays all look like that inside. Some hide it better if you never open it by including weights inside which give an illusion of more substantial electronics inside (not so much to fool anyone but rather to simply make it more stable on a shelf), but that's essentially a pretty standard layout. So I wouldn't let that turn you off any.

You should see the inside of the C64 Maxi, lol. 99% of the interior is empty space. By comparison the Gamestation Pro looks pretty full inside...

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, fluxit said:

What are they?  A26 is the same as 'bin.'

I've only played through Stella on my laptop and I've seen older official ROM releases in a26 format but usually everything new is in bin instead.  Why have two extensions if they're the same thing?   So to play .bin on the gamestation, you just change the extension name of each file?

Stella doesn't care, because it only plays one system's games.

The problem is that '.bin'(when related to roms) generally just means that you have a file that is lacking a header to tell the system what it is. 

In the case of Sega Genesis games, it wouldn't necessarily matter, because the roms basically have a built in header on the cart image, but usually, it would require more analysis of the .bin to tell what it actually is for, and in some cases that would be a virtually impossible task for the program or loader.  That's why multi-system emulators use command line switches or differing file extensions to tell them which system you are trying to emulate.

Edited by fluxit
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Atariboy said:

While a surprising sight if you've never looked inside a modern plug & play, it's not an unusual sight.

Plug & plays all look like that inside. Some hide it better if you never open it by including weights inside which give an illusion of more substantial electronics inside (not so much to fool anyone but rather to simply make it more stable on a shelf), but that's essentially a pretty standard layout. So I wouldn't let that turn you off any.

You should see the inside of the C64 Maxi, lol. 99% of the interior is empty space. By comparison the Gamestation Pro looks pretty full inside...

So then still worth 100 in your opinion?

Edited by 0078265317