IGNORED

The wonderful world of vintage bootlegs and protos

Tanooki

The topic here is inspired by an old friend I bought some old games from. A few are modern copies of unholy expensive gb/gbc games but what applies here is more interesting. 

In the package with the three gb bootlegs and a couple legit fc games were two sega mega drive titles.  One of them was a legit Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon but the one that applies here. 

I’m over simplifying it but during the era of street fighter ii sega got left in the dirt and snes got the attention.  Capcom then decided to go multi platform with chose to give sega fans the franchise. It’s a known the released game is an utter audio disaster with other compromises.  

Back in the age of dialup BBS a pioneer group somehow got the prototype of the game in three dates. The final almost seemed legit other than a placeholder title and a few ending quirks. You can get the details at the link and link below covered the earlier builds. 

This game is legit but buried a capcom build with clean audio closer to the snes and pce copies and other improvements.

https://hiddenpalace.org/Street_Fighter_II:_Champion_Edition_(Turbo_prototype)

https://hiddenpalace.org/News/The_Lost_Street_Fighter_II:_Champion_Edition_for_Sega_Mega_Drive

I got this cart from him and a bootleg shell and case art for it to. It’s quite fun and more pleasing then the highly messy and compromised sold release which is a real shame. Do any of you have some thoughts or favorite bootlegs or protos that didn’t make it??

————————

I have another one to come uniquely fun but not unique in some content. ;)

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't done any recent collecting myself yet, just got the ol' collection of games from NES to XBOX 360 while growing up. It sounds fun running into some curiosities like that SF2 proto you got (grats on that!). Crazy how the release version has worse audio, anyone know why? ROM size? Or a big mistake? You ever hear about Sega CD's version of Monkey Island accidentally shipping the game with Shadow/Highlight mode enabled? That's why the game is visually dark, lol. Here's a hack that fixes it:

I'm not familiar with too many bootlegs or protos. Never heard of Water Margin or Ultracore until they were released... or if Mad Stalker and Darius count, but all of these look great, I want to get them soon.

This thread reminded me to check out a montage vid of some unreleased games, crazy how so many were so close to complete

ResQ is the one with the StarFox styled section of gameplay, very impressive! I actually think Ninja Gaiden could've been a Genesis classic, like the first Streets of Rage and Golden Axe.

• Like 2

Thanks for trying to keep this one alive.  I think those Genesis protos would be something to look at, given they're a unique game, which wouldn't be the case of the Super Star Wars title though as that's just fascinating.  You're likely right about the lost titles, love to see some of those thrown on a quality cart for release.  I had a few games for Genesis from ali, but the plastic/print quality was so crap I dumped them which sucks, but I couldn't tolerate DN3D, Pulseman, and Megaman that way.

• Like 1

ResQ is excellent and I want to say that the company that made it did basically released it to public domain so that folks could run it in emulators etc. I've got a really nice repro cart of ResQ that I had made up for playing on my actual Genesis. Pretty sure I've got a Pulseman as well.

• Like 1

@Tanooki It's a shame about those bad quality repros 😖 what's your verdict on the Genesis version of Super Star Wars' 3rd person hover vehicle scenes? (heh, never knew what they were called) It's definitely no mode 7, kinda has a Bimini Run method to scroll the sand, just not as good, but it still looks playable 👍

@-^CrossBow^- Really generous of them to release the rom for free! Good stuff on making a cart 💪If they ever team up with a publisher and do some kind of limited physical run that would be an easy option for me, haha.

Wikipedia has a more informative unreleased MD games list, but this one was easier to browse on my phone:

https://segaretro.org/Category:Unreleased_Mega_Drive_games

I spotted a badass game I remembered from a tweet, check out these screenshots of Devil Buster!:

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/03/03/devil-buster-mdg-cancelled/

Sample:

image.thumb.png.836c343ce0bc4f5f8f02e999406d3b32.png

Very cool looking! 🔥 It appears you can select character and stage.

Edited by JurassicDope
  • Like 1

Eh it kind of is what it is, a competent port.  Obviously it had spaces in it (mode7) that needed to be retooled, and the colors fiddled with due to the genesis cap, and well the audio it's not sampled but it's fine still.  When someone knows their stuff the Genesis despite gimping by Sega when it was made can do some pretty fine audio.

Last weekend I got the Lost Vikings on the system, been awhile since I got a new game other than the overseas duo a week earlier, and I was kind of surprised.  My best experience was around 1992~ give or take, whenever it came out for DOS as I got it.  The Genesis one is intact, good use of the limited colors as earlier DOS games didn't go all 256 VGA nuts anyway, and the audio was largely intact too feeling much like old adlib/sb sound support it came with, and bonus there are added stages to make up for the SNES port having richer audio/color too.  Even the import duo, the SF2 Turbo that failed has audio as nice as PCE and close enough to SNES which is a real surprise and Sailor Moon the audio is shockingly solid compared to the SNES as it's really poppin and despite again the lower color ability it matches up nicely to the SFC title as well.

The ali carts I got most of them were super flimsy plastic, bendable PCBs, and the stickers were largely right and nice but a few were as piss poor as the bendable rest of it so I just never used them, felt fragile, and I gave a friend a game or two later pitched the rest.  I hated to do it, Mega Man and Pulseman was STUPID to only put on cable tv sega channel, but there are other methods, same with Duke Nukem but that one probably would get costly being a south america (or Piko, canceled now) release.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:08 AM, JurassicDope said:

@Tanooki It's a shame about those bad quality repros 😖 what's your verdict on the Genesis version of Super Star Wars' 3rd person hover vehicle scenes? (heh, never knew what they were called) It's definitely no mode 7, kinda has a Bimini Run method to scroll the sand, just not as good, but it still looks playable 👍

@-^CrossBow^- Really generous of them to release the rom for free! Good stuff on making a cart 💪If they ever team up with a publisher and do some kind of limited physical run that would be an easy option for me, haha.

Wikipedia has a more informative unreleased MD games list, but this one was easier to browse on my phone:

https://segaretro.org/Category:Unreleased_Mega_Drive_games

I spotted a badass game I remembered from a tweet, check out these screenshots of Devil Buster!:

https://www.unseen64.net/2009/03/03/devil-buster-mdg-cancelled/

Sample:

image.thumb.png.836c343ce0bc4f5f8f02e999406d3b32.png

Very cool looking! 🔥 It appears you can select character and stage.

Devil Buster looks amazing.  Such a shame there's been no leak of that one.