IGNORED

130XE games

Thelen

Yeah, that's the thing, there were quite a few games in the '80's that took advantage of the 128k, like all those mentioned above and more, but those games also worked on 8-bits with less memory, there was just more disk access and/or some things were left out; i.e. Questprobe graphic adventures had cool animations in them that only worked on the 130XE. Alternate Reality the City also used the extra ram if you had it...

Flight Simulator II and one or two others were 128K. Still, they should run fine on a stock 800XL or 65E. I kinda messed up my initial reply and agree with the main thing most have said - that some commercial games used the extra memory, but can't recall any that had to be run on a 130XE.

today i opened up my 800XE machine, because the lowest row of the keyboard didn't do anything.. and i looked at the board, and there was standing : 130XE(64x4). is it so that a 800XE/(65XE-XEGS) uses the same board, only missing 2 32KB dram chips ? and if i solder them in ?

Thelen

quote:

Originally posted by thelen:

today i opened up my 800XE machine, because the lowest row of the keyboard didn't do anything.. and i looked at the board, and there was standing : 130XE(64x4). is it so that a 800XE/(65XE-XEGS) uses the same board, only missing 2 32KB dram chips ? and if i solder them in ?

Thelen

My 800XE missed the CO25953 (or PAL 16L8) logic chip needed for bankswitching. There was space for the chip but it was replaced with some jumpers. So look on your board for the chip. If it has one, then you can probably just put in the extra ram chips. If it isn't there, you should obtain the CO25953 chip first.

Or if someone publish the schematics of the internal structure of the CO25953 chip, you can build one with normal 74LSxxx chips.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...