IGNORED

Atari 400 questions...

Ze_ro

Okay, I finally managed to find an Atari 400 at the thrift store, and it seems to be in pretty good shape except for two problems: 1) Some jerk snipped the RF cord, so I'll have to replace that (which shouldn't be a problem), and 2) Atari never seems to write the power requirements on the bottom of their stuff! I'm sure this question has been asked before, but what voltage/current should I be providing to this thing?

Two more quick questions: Since I haven't gotten the thing up and running yet, I have yet to experience the expected crappiness of the keyboard... I can't even tell how good/bad it is, do these keyboards break down easily? (I don't mean "does it suck?", I mean "will it get worse?"). Also, how common are tape/disk drives? Am I likely to find them around the thrift stores, or am I destined to scour eBay looking for accessories?

--Zero

It's funny. I've had an Atari 400 for years, but I never even bothered to test it until I read your post. I hooked it up to the same power adapter that I use on my Atari 800, and it fired right up. That is, I used:

Atari Part No. C017945

Input: 120V 60Hz 50W

Output: 9VAC 31VA

As far as the keyboard goes, yeah I hate it. I can't stand using a membrane keyboard. That's why I never bothered to use the thing. But if all you use it for is to play disk or cartridge games (where your primary user interface is a joystick), it's not so much of a drawback.

I rarely see Atari 400/800 tape drives in the wild, and I see diskette drives even less often. If you don't want to wait 3 or 4 years looking for them in thrifts and fleas, then eBay is definitely the way to go. Or you might want to check out what they have in stock over at B & C Computer Visions.

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

Don't be hatin' that membrane keyboard, yo. I wrote Creepy Caverns, Parrot, and all the other pre-college stuff on it. I even played it like a musical instrument

It did finally wear out...a couple of letters "broke" and wouldn't register anymore. It took a lot punishment, though.

Seriously, don't knock it until you've tried it. I'm convinced that humans can adapt to almost any keyboard given enough practice.

You could also buy a broken / stripped / bare 400 on eBay that has a key caps upgrade. Swapping the 400's keyboard is trivial.