IGNORED

Calling All Atari XEGS Systems

Scooter83

On 10/16/2023 at 3:11 PM, Scooter83 said:

A1 7C 1051819.    N/A.                      Mr. Fish

I edited my post for this one and provided a keyboard serial already too. The keyboard was sold, but I still own the machine.

I happened to find my XEGS while cleaning out a closet yesterday -- I don't think I've used it since college.  I wonder where my 850 is...

Anyway, I discovered that I must have picked up a second XEGS at some point.  I don't remember how or when, but I know which one is "newer" one as it still has the cartridge lock tabs.  The tabs on my original snapped off at some point.

I can't find the KEYBOARDS at the moment, but:

USA

My original unit (1989 purchase by grandparents?) 

A1791009341

Second Unit (unknown origin)

A17C1139205

Personal opinion  I'm sure and hope other chime in too. I feel the 1200xl today I feel is a bit more on the rare side. Price point I believe it's more.   I see more XEGS systems forsale than 1200xl systems on average.  But it's a very small sampling that I've seen and paid attention to.  I'd be interested to see the take from others if one seems to be rarer and harder to come by than the latter.  

I think on balance the 1200xl is rarer. 

Obviously depending on which side of the pond you are, that has a bearing. As mentioned the 1200xl was only made in ntsc flavour and in the States. 

Furthermore only £105,000 1200XL's were made during a very small window in the 80s.

The Xegs (afaik) was made over a longer period of time a good few years later than the 1200xl, was made in far greater numbers and was available all over the world. The build cost was also presumably cheaper and Atari was competing with the NES in the market, so more units were made afaik.

Finding a complete boxed xegs with keyboard, lightgun, and original grey CX40 joystick, isn't that commonplace. But I'd say finding a standalone xegs, (maybe with it's keyboard), is far more commonplace that finding a 1200xl.

I think you'll likely find more of both the 1200xl and xegs units being sold on ebay overall at present because people are seeing some advertised for very high amounts, recalling the have one sitting in a box in their attics/storage, and think they can make some money. 

I had to source my 1200xl from the States in last year, and my boxed xegs was a lucky find here in the UK. 

Edited by Beeblebrox

My XEGS was from a pawn shop maybe 20 years ago and I don't recall paying a lot for it, maybe $20 Australian. It is a lovely piece of kit and I always loved the STesqu designs of the last 8-bits. I did buy a boxed light gun brand new back in the day for my 800XL too. I still have it and the box.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Atari030 said:

My XEGS was from a pawn shop maybe 20 years ago and I don't recall paying a lot for it, maybe $20 Australian. It is a lovely piece of kit and I always loved the STesqu designs of the last 8-bits. I did buy a boxed light gun brand new back in the day for my 800XL too. I still have it and the box.

$20?!! WOW, bargain, even 20 years ago.

Currently you are looking at anything between £125 to £200 for an unboxed xegs with or without a keyboard, to £350-500 for a boxed complete xegs with lightgun, joystick, manuals, these days. 

I was lucky. I picked my complete boxed one up for a bargain, which is very rare. 

I think in the late 90s, early 0's most A8's were still circulating around for peanuts on classifieds, charity shops, etc. Seems 20years on, and the factors of ebay price gouging/resurgence in retro computing, have really knocked up the prices well beyond what they should be. 

You only have to look at how much the jaguar CD unit is worth now. £1000-£1500 for just the unit on average. 20 years ago maybe you'd pay £150 for one with games. 

• Like 1

I've always been involved one way or another in the Melbourne Atari scene so I have had a few machines gifted to me over the years. A lot of them needed repair but now I'm down to a MegaSTE, 130XE and a 2600Jr left to get up and running, no Atari left behind and all that. I have developed a knack for picking up machines at the right time. Now is the time to buy Flashbacks, Ps2's/3's, Wii's/Wii'U and Xbox 360's etc. ;-) My Jag was bought for $100us and one of my Falcons for $50au because they were diminishing in popularity at the time.
According to Wiki the XEGS sold 100000 units, checking their source that figure was in 1988 alone by the look of it. A bit misleading.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

A really lovely system, it's the only A8 with detachable keyboard, great 80s angles, and console buttons that look like what the Easter Bunny plopped out. Yet somehow still looks good.  (But the pastels would have been better opposite black rather than gray...)

I've three and will post those when I get a chance. It'd have been four, if I didn't bid extra on ebay, and should have since the whole working set (sans box) for < $200 is arguably a great deal... grr...  I'm modifying two to run s-video output...

Edited by CommodoreDecker