IGNORED

Atari 600 XL Pitfallin'

newTIboyRob

So leaving aside the possibility that I am in a mid-life crisis, I returned to a game of Pitfall, but this time not 1982 2600 style, but modern style: 600XL, 64K Ram expansion, ATR image on an Sdrive Max.  Looks beautiful!  My memory naturally is cloudy from 1982, but in this "new" version, did anyone notice the following difference? 

• (A minor point, and a bit geeky... but ...when you get the gold bar, the "reward" music is different, much lower?  That reward sound I did remember and was looking forward to, so when I played the ATR version just now and heard the new music, I was like oh, bummer!)

• Wasn't there a way to "duck" from the things flying overhead in the original Pitfall, or am I thinking of another game?   I vaguely remember ducking  (I don't mean with the ladders, I mean just like a crouch down.)

Then I tried Pitfall 2 which I never even tried back in the day, as that is where my 2600 journey grinded to a halt.  What a cute game it is though!  When he swims, that is beyond awesome and with really spirited music to boot!

Edited by newTIboyRob
  • Like 1

Try this version of Pitfall 2. You can save and load the game at any time with the OPTION key! (I've attached my save disk as well. Load game 0 and walk right to see the ending of the hidden Adventurer's Edition!) 😀

Pitfall II (Save with option key).atr Pitfall2 (Saves).ATR

Use a separate blank disk for your saves!!!

Edited by Houdini
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, newTIboyRob said:

That was, ahem, magical Houdini, thank you. The version of Pitfall II I was using loads/runs the game with the OPTION key down.  Isn't this the same as yours? :) 

Not loads/runs but loads/saves. Yes, you need to load the .ATR with the OPTION key down if you are using a stock machine. After the game is loaded you can press OPTION to load the storage menu. From there you can save or load your game. Kind of like a save point. You can then go back to that point at will. 

(Houdini wasn't a magician. He was an escape artist...)