IGNORED

80 column word processor for upgraded 600 XL?

newTIboyRob

1 hour ago, MrFish said:

Here's the same document in 80-column mode. You can easily switch back and forth between 40 and 80 columns, and your font selections for each mode are retained.

image.thumb.png.576e1750ed564a480f91f9f4394b8caf.png

Makes me wonder, if you have a VBXE with 640 pixel horizontal resolution and true hardware 80 columns, could you get 160 columns out of TLW?! Now, don't ask me why in the world someone would ever need, let alone want, such a thing. I just need to know if it can be done. I mean, I don't think anyone really asked for a Lego brick that can run Doom, but it's been done, so...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Makes me wonder, if you have a VBXE with 640 pixel horizontal resolution and true hardware 80 columns, could you get 160 columns out of TLW?!

I don't know; never thought of it.

14 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Now, don't ask me why in the world someone would ever need, let alone want, such a thing.

Well, if you're coding, you usually want more than 80 columns. For languages like TBXL, I always match the max line length (buffer) when I cross develop. The main reason, of course, is that your code will look a lot neater and easier to read/understand when you don't have lines wrapping. Wrapped lines monkey with the way indenting programming structures is suppose to work.

40 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Makes me wonder, if you have a VBXE with 640 pixel horizontal resolution and true hardware 80 columns, could you get 160 columns out of TLW?! Now, don't ask me why in the world someone would ever need, let alone want, such a thing. I just need to know if it can be done. I mean, I don't think anyone really asked for a Lego brick that can run Doom, but it's been done, so...

Yes - it could very easily be done - I thought about trying my hand at a 128 and 160 column text display.  You would have to use graphics mode though, and make very smart use of the blitter.  All screen operations would be dealing with up to 75kB of screen data.  The blitter is fast, but you would also have to write a custom driver, that would parse the text into graphics data, then be blitted.  Possible, yes.  Easy, I would say no.  Cool as hell - certainly!

• Like 1