IGNORED

Indie Retro News

Looks like they've done at least some stuff on the PCE (https://www.indieretronews.com/2017/03/barbarian-cpc-head-chopping-classic.html ), I guess just not enough to warrant a dedicated section? They seem to be more focused predominantly on home micros, but then again they have a SNES and Genesis section so idk.

• Like 1

IMHO that's a very bad website that only gets a lot of views because it's in English. 😔 They do zero research, they don't even provide links to their previous articles about the same subject, nothing. They just copy/paste game profiles and video descriptions. I think the main editor struggles with health problems, though. Fortunately there's Time Extension now, you should contact them instead.

I keep checking IRN daily because they're quite thorough regarding computers, but mostly thanks to YouTuber Saberman (and since notifications don't always work for some reason, there are still a lot of things I find out through IRN). Unfortunately they don't care much about consoles, and I wish there was a Saberman's equivalent for consoles - that is gameplay videos of wip homebrew games without commentary. Well, it probably exists, but it's hard to find in the dumpster that is YouTube - if you have suggestions, I'm interested.

• Like 1

I saw your post the other day, just couldn't give any real answer.  I started poking through their archives in and out of site and it seems it was years since one story was posted, and mostly it's just that one story too unless other related hardware got it too which seems super sketchy/fishy.

I've never much cared for the site, used to look at it at times, but it felt like (being crude here) it was more into sucking off old euro-spec computer stuff which really is a huge turn off to me in other than small doses.  I prefer Japanese centric gaming first, US-west next, then the collect-a-thon oddball style of the euro stuff a distant third.  But despite that they did seem to carry coverage of most the popular consoles and handhelds even if in disproportionate doses.

What roots pointed out after it being english centric giving it hits, that seems to match things i can remember over the years of randomly spotting it when some link to it would pop up, hard to follow, lack of help going back to sources, etc.

The stuff that page seem to care about gets more deep coverage, details, good info despite the flaws.  It's like a shittier version of hardcore gaming 101 when they dive into a series, a spinoff release, general news that just does it, but just not very well.

• Like 2

Yeah, and no section for PCE. They cover a lot of crap, some of it barely functional (early demos). It's definitely not in-depth or whatever. It feels like those old school meta retro-news site. I wasn't looking for something indepth.. I was just curious as to why they don't have a PCE/TG section and why they don't conver it... when they clearly cover everything else under the sun.

Anyway, they have a twitter page. I've asked them, and they've completely ignored me. I figured with the lack of a PCE or TG category, and ignoring my questions multiple times, only one homebrew thing covered ever for PCE/TG (there has been work in the homebrew scene since then).. that they have something against the PCE. Really seems like they go out of their way to ignore it.

9 hours ago, WIZZARD77 said:

Offer to help do the research for IRN. I'm sure he has only a limited amount of time with real life things.

What do you mean? Each time he'll want to publish an article, he'll have to wait for me to find for him info about the developer? Did you understand what I meant by 'research'? That's very basic stuff that takes a few minutes.

3 hours ago, WIZZARD77 said:

You can find all these new games, supply him with the info

Then you clearly didn't understand what I meant. Contacting me because he wants to publish an article, waiting for me to do the research for him, then publishing the article would be a hassle even if the research itself doesn't take much time. Simply because I may not be available when he asks (I may be as busy as him, you know). And there's no way I would do that for free either. I write my own articles and do the proper research for it. Why would I contact him about what I found if I can publish articles on my own website?

17 hours ago, turboxray said:

that they have something against the PCE.

I think he just doesn't know very much about it. He clearly favors systems he uses (or used as a kid), often spends the beginning of each article to talk about his childhood experience of the game he's going to talk about...

His editorial line is all over the place anyway. He even published a lot of articles about The Witcher 3 (maybe he thought he had to since he had some kind of agreement with GOG), and he published at least two about a VR game: https://www.indieretronews.com/2016/01/ghost-theory-very-paranormal-experience.html

"Finally after all these years I've come across a game that's currently going through a Kickstarter campaign that really appealed to my paranormal senses. As someone who is a paranormal investigator and has visited many places that would scare even the most hardy of man" 🙄

To be fair, it was many years ago and I haven't seen questionable stuff in the past few years.