IGNORED

What XE cartridges work on an Atari 400

nopaybob

A quick look down the Wiki page at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atari_XEGS_games

Some possibilities that might work given the originals worked in 16K:

Blue Max and Eastern Front.

Necromancer supposedly had an original cartridge version which mentions 16K so possibly it works also.

But all up, I'd not count on many of them working on low memory systems.

5 hours ago, nopaybob said:

I'm trying  to understand this, What would it take to play the XE Donkey Kong cartridge on a 400?

Donkey Kong was an old enough cart that it's really hard to imagine it not working on a 16K machine. That being said, I never had a 16K machine, so I'm not 100% certain. I'm fairly certain that there is anything at all improved or different about the game itself though. The only differences are the XE cart styling and new box.

I don't have a 16K 400 (I expanded mine) but I have a stock 600XL with 16K. I gave a try to some carts I have. Older games worked, of course - no problems with PacMan, Donkey Kong and many others. But what impressed me the most, was... Atari Blast! A new game that, when executed from a disk, requires 1MB of RAM, run smoothly on an unexpanded 16K machine... Just running from a cart. 

Just now, Peri Noid said:

I don't have a 16K 400 (I expanded mine) but I have a stock 600XL with 16K. I gave a try to some carts I have. Older games worked, of course - no problems with PacMan, Donkey Kong and many others. But what impressed me the most, was... Atari Blast! A new game that, when executed from a disk, requires 1MB of RAM, run smoothly on an unexpanded 16K machine... Just running from a cart. 

I've run Atariblast! off an Atarimax cart on 64k systems. Banked ram games like this and Spaceharrier, Flob, and (I believe) Onescape(?) will not need 1MB of ram to work if running from say Side3, Atarimax or AVG carts. Always a bonus to see these running.

Also for the record the distinction to make about a direct comparison between two 16k A8's such as the 400 and the 600XL is that they aren't the same, with the 400 having an earlier OS, (with no inbuilt Basic). 

Any 600xl I've gotten my hands on I've instantly upgraded it to 64k using one of the many very cheap manual upgrade methods. It's a no brainier to bring it in line with it's big brother the 800xl. 

Doesn't this all depend on what we mean by "XE cart"? As we all know, quite a few silver/grey/striped label (and a few brown label) era carts were pushed during the release of the XEGS in support of it. I'm sure that I saw one of those pink "works with the XEGS" stickers slapped onto a few Super Breakout and Galaxian big boxes in 1988 here in Canada, but it's been a few decades...

44 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Doesn't this all depend on what we mean by "XE cart"? As we all know, quite a few silver/grey/striped label (and a few brown label) era carts were pushed during the release of the XEGS in support of it. I'm sure that I saw one of those pink "works with the XEGS" stickers slapped onto a few Super Breakout and Galaxian big boxes in 1988 here in Canada, but it's been a few decades...

I thought there were more, but maybe not, but for sure Donkey Kong, Eastern Front are just rehash titles. There was nothing at all special about them that made them "XE" titles. They were the same titles that had came out on the old brown carts and the later silver carts, before getting refreshed again as XE carts. They had no different or improved coding and there were no changes at all that I am aware of other than updated packaging and manuals. That I can recall, there were no XE carts that really required an XE or XEGS to run, as all would run on a 64K XL and many would run on 400/800/XL machines with lesser amounts of memory as well.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I thought there were more, but maybe not, but for sure Donkey Kong, Eastern Front are just rehash titles. There was nothing at all special about them that made them "XE" titles. They were the same titles that had came out on the old brown carts and the later silver carts, before getting refreshed again as XE carts. They had no different or improved coding and there were no changes at all that I am aware of other than updated packaging and manuals. That I can recall, there were no XE carts that really required an XE or XEGS to run, as all would run on a 64K XL and many would run on 400/800/XL machines with lesser amounts of memory as well.

I think that Tower Toppler would have been the only slight exception -- had it actually been released -- due its use of artifacting. But the brown/blue XL pallette is really much nicer than the pink/green effect on the XE systems anyway.

• 2 months later...