IGNORED

Atari 7800 Manual Compendium

Kirkland

I've collected all the Atari 7800 manuals, colorized them, and combined them into a large PDF so everyone who just has cartridges can enjoy the games.

http://www.atensionspan.com/KML/Atari7800/Atari_7800_Manual_Compendium-KML.pdf

(for compressed- 94MB)

http://www.atensionspan.com/KML/Atari7800/Atari_7800_Manual_Compendium-VGM.pdf

(for lossless 4K- 253MB)

Waiting to see how the 8.5"x11" print version turns out from Lulu.com (but that's 2 weeks out)..

Funny exchange on Reddit:

"Do people not realize that atariage.com has always had these?"

If you'd actually flip through it, you would notice it also includes maps for Commando, Crossbow, Dark Chambers, Double Dragon, Ikari Warriors, Impossible Mission (Possible Mission hack), Jinx, Super Skateboardin', Tank Command, Tower Toppler, Water Ski, and Xevious.. as well as Trebor's excellent Midnight Mutants walkthrough and a Scrapyard Dog walkthrough, hints for 9 games, level/password codes for three games... and then the main point of this: every cover has been replaced with color box art and every instance of a screenshot and items/weapons/characters artwork has been 100% accurately replaced with in-game graphics- down to the exact scores/lives/levels/enemy locations to make it faithful to the originals.
But yes, all of this is on AtariAge.
(In original black, red and white, and individually, of course).

A7800 Manual Compendium.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 6

https://www.lulu.com/shop/jonathan-grimm/atari-7800-manual-compendium/paperback/product-m22dpgr.html

Lulu has it up and running.  The standard color wasn't good enough (bleh- washed out), so had to opt for the Premium Color print.  Triple the price, but it makes it glossy with crisp pictures like a yearbook.  Really makes it shine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 3/21/2024 at 10:01 PM, TrekMD said:

I did and I like it.  Nice way to look and read the manuals for the games.  :)

If the Doc says its good then that is good enough for me. I just placed my order for one before they possibly can't be gotten anymore. I like that is comes with some game maps already in it along with passcodes. That means I wouldn't have to print that stuff out myself or look it up and have it all in one spot. Nice...

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 8:58 PM, Zonie said:

Nice work. Thanks.

$45 isn't a bad price for this. Sure $15 would be great, but really not that bad.

Is it possible to get a spiral bound version?

I had hoped I could sneak by with standard color printing, but covers were completely washed out and maps were a muddy mess.  Lulu hits me for $34.98 raw cost to print this many pages with their high resolution premium color, then charges 20% commission to distribute- so I make a whopping $8.01 each.  Which will absolutely never cover what I spent on manuals, let alone the 200+ hours scanning/cleaning/formatting/editing for the final print.  I'm putting all funds towards future manual projects.  It allows me to pull the trigger on eBay on a couple manuals that I would normally pass up as being "a little too expensive to justify".

I'm currently rebuilding the Atari 2600 Field Service manual.. it's not.. fun- but I will get it done because after 40 years the quality of the current pdfs on the internet infuriates me.

For spiral bound, I waffled on this (and will use it for other projects), but there are a couple of across-the-gutter spreads that the spiral destroys.  While it would be nice for this to lay flat, it just wasn't in the cards with the layouts.

IMG_5457.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

Edited by Kirkland
added standard color reference pics
  • Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:02 PM, Trebor said:

8.5" x 11" - 168 pages of goodness! 

@Kirkland did a wonderful job, formatting and bringing this all together... thank you!

Thanks for the endorsement- it means a lot coming from you.

As a reminder, the pdf versions on my website has two bonus walkthroughs- Scrapyard Dog and Trebor's Midnight Mutants walkthrough.  I tried my best to get every scrap of usable Atari 7800 info wedged into the printed book, but pixel maps of those sizes unfortunately don't translate well to print.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kirkland said:

As a reminder, the pdf versions on my website has two bonus walkthroughs- Scrapyard Dog and Trebor's Midnight Mutants walkthrough.  I tried my best to get every scrap of usable Atari 7800 info wedged into the printed book, but pixel maps of those sizes unfortunately don't translate well to print.

For Midnight Mutants, any interested parties can acquire a downloadable "small booklet" pdf printable version in the respective thread.

I received my hard copy today, it looks amazing!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Also, I thought I would mention that the tips for Meltdown, Sentinel and the original Crossbow map were from me. I didn't bother crediting myself on my own website. :-D

Out of curiosity, did you base the color scheme on the Pole Position manual on the 800/XE manual?

Mitch

• Like 1