Jump to content
IGNORED

Rad2x works with 7800GD!


MajorSetback

Recommended Posts

On 11/18/2023 at 11:23 AM, MajorSetback said:

I have a Rad2x for my Sega Genesis so I plugged it into the back of the game drive to see what happens. It works! Crystal clear hdmi output to my Sony TV. I figured this info would help someone else.image.thumb.jpeg.e7d212079b6241b0ad7194e3350df389.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.bfad822958348daef0c14f7602219366.jpeg

Do you need to connect a 5v power supply to the Rad2x to work with the 7800, or does it work on it's own without additional power needed?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, xboxiso said:

Do you need to connect a 5v power supply to the Rad2x to work with the 7800, or does it work on it's own without additional power needed?

+5 is routed to the RGB output so it doesn't need external power or shouldn't. There is a USB port inside the Rad2x to provide external power but it isn't open for use normally as it shouldn't be needed.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

+5 is routed to the RGB output so it doesn't need external power or shouldn't. There is a USB port inside the Rad2x to provide external power but it isn't open for use normally as it shouldn't be needed.

 

Thanks for the info! I really want to get one of these but can't find it in stock. I noticed you have posted about many cables. Do you know if the BITFUNX Sega Genesis cable works with the 7800GD? It's listed as a 2X cable, I wonder if it's similar to the Rad2x. It looks very similar to the Kaico Sega Saturn 2x cable. It is on sale on Amazon for 48.99 and was thinking of getting it. Just wondering how it would compare to the Rad2x which would be my first choice if I could find one.

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C69NDNZN/?coliid=I2BBTUCY3ZKL38&colid=3V0RX3AUWNIFD&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

 

Another option would be the Retrotink 2X Pro and the HD Retrovision cable but at an additional cost of course. I'll be connecting my 7800 with the 7800GD to an older Panasonic plasma. I currently have the Hyperkin cable and while it does work, I don't like how it smooths the picture. I'm looking for a crisp and sharp picture similar to what you get with emulation. What would you recommend? Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, xboxiso said:

Thanks for the info! I really want to get one of these but can't find it in stock. I noticed you have posted about many cables. Do you know if the BITFUNX Sega Genesis cable works with the 7800GD? It's listed as a 2X cable, I wonder if it's similar to the Rad2x. It looks very similar to the Kaico Sega Saturn 2x cable. It is on sale on Amazon for 48.99 and was thinking of getting it. Just wondering how it would compare to the Rad2x which would be my first choice if I could find one.

 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C69NDNZN/?coliid=I2BBTUCY3ZKL38&colid=3V0RX3AUWNIFD&psc=1&ref_=list_c_wl_lv_ov_lig_dp_it

 

Another option would be the Retrotink 2X Pro and the HD Retrovision cable but at an additional cost of course. I'll be connecting my 7800 with the 7800GD to an older Panasonic plasma. I currently have the Hyperkin cable and while it does work, I don't like how it smooths the picture. I'm looking for a crisp and sharp picture similar to what you get with emulation. What would you recommend? Thanks again.

Well...honestly all of the cable outputs I've used with my 7800GD have a softer picture as compared to using my s-video output into my Extron + OSSC setup. But you might try going into the video options on the 7800GD and make sure you have the video blending turned off? I think it is set to light or something by default. That might help?

 

I've not used the Bitfunx cable so I can't comment on that. In the case of the Rad2x, I've only ever ordered it from Retro Gaming Cables. Both times, it wasn't in stock and was a pre-order that took about a month before I got my shipping notification. I ordered another Rad2x around the time I first made this post and I finally receive it early last week. So there is a wait but I find it well worth it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Well...honestly all of the cable outputs I've used with my 7800GD have a softer picture as compared to using my s-video output into my Extron + OSSC setup. But you might try going into the video options on the 7800GD and make sure you have the video blending turned off? I think it is set to light or something by default. That might help?

Using the Tink5xp it's very crisp, I'm not sure how you're getting sharper from s-video than component. Although I am using RGB myself, rather than component, I'm not sure if the RGB to component loses a little definition.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SainT said:

Using the Tink5xp it's very crisp, I'm not sure how you're getting sharper from s-video than component. Although I am using RGB myself, rather than component, I'm not sure if the RGB to component loses a little definition.

None of the specific phase timings work for any of the RGB stuff in my setup. So as a result I have to use the Generic settings for all RGB sources. When I try to use the specific phase timings, I'm only able to get the middle of the screen to be pixel sharp perfect and then it starts to ghost and get fuzzy on the sides from the center outward. So yeah... the s-video goes through my Extron and that is converted to a VGA output that goes into the OSSC and that I'm able to scale up to 960P output and is very sharp. But RGB stuff I have to use the generic timings and it creates an overall softer output from the OSSC as a result. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I've been testing my PAL 7800 with the 7800GD (after updating the GD's firmware). Many of the NTSC games don't work although do load e.g. Klax. The other major, and main, issue is not getting any AV output from the cart's MegaDrive 2 AV socket. I getting nothing with SCART -> OSSC -> HDMI, and nothing with a MegaDrive 2 RAD2X -> HDMI, despite RAD2X incorporating Retrotink, and other folks on this forum getting it to work, I think? So I had to do an RF connection on a TV that still tunes analogue TV. Funny to see 1 channel pop up, but at least confirmed that the 7800 console is working.

 

How do you get AV output from the 7800GD MegaDrive 2 socket to HDMI? I know the Retrotink 5X Pro works, but with a house full of OSSCs I'd like to avoid having to buy that just for the 7800 🙂  Is it worth trying a MegaDrive 2 to 1 adapter connected to the RAD2X? Does the RAD2X have firmware that can be updated? Is it only PAL 7800s that have problems? Will future 7800GD firmware updates fix this?

 

I tried the RAD2X with smoothing on and off, which made no difference. Attached are some photos.

 

Grateful for any advice 🙂 

IMG_4054.PNG

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

Edited by Pinballs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pinballs said:

I've been testing my PAL 7800 with the 7800GD (after updating the GD's firmware). Many of the NTSC games don't work although do load e.g. Klax.

NTSC and PAL games in general do not work on the wrong region console. You will get a warning stating as much when you boot them. I’ve replied to your other post with more information on what to try for the RGB output.

 

The question on trying to improve OSSC compatibility however, the answer is yes, I do want to try and improve this. I had the OSSC working originally (I already had one) but the OSSC is not compatible with picky TV’s and getting the 7800GD working well with the Tink5Xp broke OSSC compatibility, so I opted for the safety of the Tink5Xp working with EVERYTHING as I prefer a catch all solution.

 

However I do want to return to seeing if I can get more out of the OSSC. As it’s just a scanline upscaler, not frame buffer, the results are limited, but it will work with many peoples TV’s and monitors if it syncs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pinballs said:

I've been testing my PAL 7800 with the 7800GD (after updating the GD's firmware). Many of the NTSC games don't work although do load e.g. Klax. The other major, and main, issue is not getting any AV output from the cart's MegaDrive 2 AV socket. I getting nothing with SCART -> OSSC -> HDMI, and nothing with a MegaDrive 2 RAD2X -> HDMI, despite RAD2X incorporating Retrotink, and other folks on this forum getting it to work, I think? So I had to do an RF connection on a TV that still tunes analogue TV. Funny to see 1 channel pop up, but at least confirmed that the 7800 console is working.

 

How do you get AV output from the 7800GD MegaDrive 2 socket to HDMI? I know the Retrotink 5X Pro works, but with a house full of OSSCs I'd like to avoid having to buy that just for the 7800 🙂  Is it worth trying a MegaDrive 2 to 1 adapter connected to the RAD2X? Does the RAD2X have firmware that can be updated? Is it only PAL 7800s that have problems? Will future 7800GD firmware updates fix this?

 

I tried the RAD2X with smoothing on and off, which made no difference. Attached are some photos.

 

Grateful for any advice 🙂 

IMG_4054.PNG

IMG_4055.jpg

IMG_4056.jpg

I have the 1st release version of the 7800GD and it works great on my AV setup through a Rad2x? I just plugged the Rad2x off the AV output on the cart, and then ran it to my TV via HDMI and while there is a few seconds delay... it does eventually come up and show me the 7800GD menu and is fine from there. 

 

In your pic I see the Rad2x is locking into the picture as the purple LED would show, so I'm curious why you aren't seeing anything on your display? Again, the rad2x and even RGC megadrive 2 to component cables worked directly off my 7800GD although through my AV setup, the component output has some noise and slight inference on the screen. But that is true of most of my component cable connections in my AV setup and not unique to the 7800GD in this case.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

In your pic I see the Rad2x is locking into the picture as the purple LED would show, so I'm curious why you aren't seeing anything on your display? Again, the rad2x and even RGC megadrive 2 to component cables worked directly off my 7800GD although through my AV setup, the component output has some noise and slight inference on the screen. But that is true of most of my component cable connections in my AV setup and not unique to the 7800GD in this case.

 

That’s really interesting about the purple led, so that should mean the HDMI output is being generated ok, leading me to believe it’s the TV (or HDMI cabling?) which is the issue. Definitely worth checking with another monitor / TV if possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks guys, this is really helpful. I worked on this further tonight. The rad2x didn't work on another TV either. I even added USB power into the microUSB slot at the side of the rad2x. Interestingly, it made it go green some of the time, but it still didn't output a picture, so it's not a power issue. Once I got the RetroHQ bootup logo, which then disappeared, but I never saw this again in 20 attempts. So looks like it's failing to maintain an output.

 

As I reported earlier, the RGC MD2 RGB SCART cable connected via an OSSC didn't work, but when I plugged the SCART directly into a TV it did work and I was able to use the 7800GD 🙂   So I have a solution that is much nicer than RF.

 

So it looks like SCART and component directly connected i.e. where no processing is needed, work ok, but OSSC and even rad2x where there is processing, have problems e.g. due to the sync issues.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, SainT said:

NTSC and PAL games in general do not work on the wrong region console. You will get a warning stating as much when you boot them. I’ve replied to your other post with more information on what to try for the RGB output.

 

The question on trying to improve OSSC compatibility however, the answer is yes, I do want to try and improve this. I had the OSSC working originally (I already had one) but the OSSC is not compatible with picky TV’s and getting the 7800GD working well with the Tink5Xp broke OSSC compatibility, so I opted for the safety of the Tink5Xp working with EVERYTHING as I prefer a catch all solution.

 

However I do want to return to seeing if I can get more out of the OSSC. As it’s just a scanline upscaler, not frame buffer, the results are limited, but it will work with many peoples TV’s and monitors if it syncs.

Thanks Saint 🙂

 

I downloaded the 'ultra romsets' for 7800 and 2600 from archive.org. Many more files and, crucially, many more PAL versions. The PAL versions of 7800 games mostly work perfectly and full screen (without the garbled lower section on the screen), and some of the NTSC games e.g. Klax worked better. So it seems worth trying out different romsets and game versions if you're having problems getting games to work.

 

I think I will buy a tink5xp pro just so I have something that works universally. I use OSSCs a lot, even fitting them in some arcade cabs with 4K upgrade monitors that don't have VGA input, but it would appear that sometimes OSSC just isn't up to the job, such as with these older consoles with rather precarious video outputs!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Pinballs said:

I downloaded the 'ultra romsets' for 7800 and 2600 from archive.org. Many more files and, crucially, many more PAL versions. The PAL versions of 7800 games mostly work perfectly and full screen (without the garbled lower section on the screen), and some of the NTSC games e.g. Klax worked better. So it seems worth trying out different romsets and game versions if you're having problems getting games to work.

 

 

Avoid the ROM sets from archive.org. Get Romhunter's 2600 ROM set and Trebor's 7800 ROM set.

 

Mitch

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Avoid the ROM sets from archive.org. Get Romhunter's 2600 ROM set and Trebor's 7800 ROM set.

 

Mitch

Where from if not archive.org? Please could you PM me if not possible to post here? I checked out all the archive.org romsets, and the ultra ones looked pretty definitive TBH. I was particularly looking for PAL versions of games, because my PAL 7800 doesn't play NTSC games properly.

Edited by Pinballs
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Pinballs said:

So it looks like SCART and component directly connected i.e. where no processing is needed, work ok, but OSSC and even rad2x where there is processing, have problems e.g. due to the sync issues.

Good to hear something is working for you! Strange the RAD2X is having issues now on your setup, though. I wonder if it doesn’t work well with PAL? I have a feeling most reports are NTSC based…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, SainT said:

Good to hear something is working for you! Strange the RAD2X is having issues now on your setup, though. I wonder if it doesn’t work well with PAL? I have a feeling most reports are NTSC based…

Yes very odd. I'm thinking it's a PAL issue too. What else could it be? Meanwhile I've ordered a retrotink5x pro...  Also shows the importance of keeping some older SCART TVs around.

Edited by Pinballs
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...