IGNORED

Yes, I in fact DO play some modern games on occasion, here are some examples, how about you?

Obviously, I am a huge retro games player whether for nostalgia or just reliving classics or discovering new ones for the first time I may of missed out on BUT.......

When my mind is not dwelling on a million other things or I am not doing something else and I can take a moment to escape THESE are some of the more modern games I've dipped my toes into over the past little while, not listed of course emulation, game DEMOS and Indie games etc. 🤷‍♂️🎮 Sure by now some younger people might certainly consider even some of these "CLASSICS" so I guess we are talking games long after the 8-16-32 bit era 😝

404347092_10161802286348109_3194884543122161097_n.thumb.jpg.09e2a9f2c1186623950c01a617464aa1.jpg

What about you all? Have you enjoyed any "modern" titles lately? 🤔

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

Obligatory "Sonic Mania is the single greatest game released in the past 15 years and EVERYONE REALLY REALLY REALLY NEEDS TO PLAY IT, PREFERABLY RIGHT THE HELL NOW!"

I played it last week, and I played it two days ago, and I played it yesterday, and I think I'm going to go play it right now even though I'm sick and really need to sleep because fuck that, Sonic Mania is officially better than being healthy or whatever.

• Haha 2

Do the "recharged" games count as modern? If so then yes I play modern games. We do have a Switch but my games are typically remastered or collections of older games like NFS Hot Pursuit, Portal 1 and 2 or the Atari Collections. The only truly modern game we have is the latest Animal Crossing and its just my daughter that plays it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AtariLeaf said:

Do the "recharged" games count as modern? If so then yes I play modern games. We do have a Switch but my games are typically remastered or collections of older games like NFS Hot Pursuit, Portal 1 and 2 or the Atari Collections. The only truly modern game we have is the latest Animal Crossing and its just my daughter that plays it. 

Sure I'll accept that, I mean they were made recently so..........

Hell, I have times when I seriously considered clearing my hard drive of ALL modern games, and game clients and just sticking with retro gaming, emulation etc for the amount I actually play early it would probably suffice but I always seem to be gifted or suggested a newer game or see a gameplay trailer and get sacked right back in. I cannot seem to commit to retro only as much as I have considered it and it might simplify things 😝

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Obligatory "Sonic Mania is the single greatest game released in the past 15 years and EVERYONE REALLY REALLY REALLY NEEDS TO PLAY IT, PREFERABLY RIGHT THE HELL NOW!"

I played it last week, and I played it two days ago, and I played it yesterday, and I think I'm going to go play it right now even though I'm sick and really need to sleep because fuck that, Sonic Mania is officially better than being healthy or whatever.

Well, now I may just have to give that a whirl then.........🤷‍♂️🧐

Absolutely.  I play modern stuff as much, maybe more than retro these days.  I never really think too much about it other than "I wanna play this game now..." and it doesn't usually matter which platform "this game" is on.  I say 'usually" because there are times where I'll want to focus on a certain console for a bit, like that thought of "I haven't played Saturn for a while, lemme find something on that"

Recently, I played through Mario Wonder (Switch), Sea of Stars (PS5) and now working through the Mario RPG remake/remaster/whatever it is (Switch)

I've been thinking I may play through the 1st four Resident Evil "remakes" over the next couple of months.  I have them all on my "to play" list, but haven't made time yet.

• Like 1

Due to a ration of long term catch up I've mostly not played too many modern titles.  A large bit of it because of this is widely split in favor of the Switch unless something popped up on GOG/Steam I was on board with.  Like right now I have Super Mario RPGs remaster and SMB Wonder going.  Earlier in this year into last were those 2 Kirby titles on Switch as well, before that when it was in its first year was Animal Crossing.  I have too many unfinished to finished games that's the issue, even on here.  Dragon Quest 11S isn't done but great, yet Ghostbusters and Golf Story were done along with the Cat Quest games.  I could list so many more not done with Metroid, even Mario Odyssey as the watering down of too many moons got to me.  I did finish off Diablo III but never took the turn with the redo of D2 and as such never bought 4. :\

I also do mess with a few modern things on mobile too, usually I keep one less utterly greedy gatcha game around, right now this Danmachi title which has some solid touch control, kind of RPG/arena base like phantasy star online is with how stages/objectives work.

• Like 1

Most of my gaming time is spent with retro games or real pinball, so I've only messed around with a few modern games this and last gen. Elden Ring is probably the biggest one. I ended up rolling through that four times, and since I saw the Xbox version was marked down a bit recently, I picked up a copy of that and will likely do another run through that version. I also played through about two-thirds of Lies of P back in September/early October. Still need to go back and try to finish it. I grabbed Mario Wonder a few weeks back and played through much of it, though to be fair, while it's a "new" game, it's still oldschool in nature and it's not particularly lengthy either. That's what I tend to veer towards when it comes to modern games--ones with more of an oldschool design philosophy. Stuff that is more eye-hand coordination oriented, or ones that impose a moderate challenge and require actual skill to make it through (like the Souls games).

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

13 hours ago, OldSchoolRetroGamer said:

Well, now I may just have to give that a whirl then.........🤷‍♂️🧐

It's on sale for 5 bucks on Steam right now, and 10 bucks on Switch eShop, if you're interested in either of those 2.

1 hour ago, Steven Pendleton said:

This is a reminder that Sonic Mania does what Nintendon't

20231124103907_1.thumb.jpg.c27e071f778c3225ccfdf34ab4bfcea0.jpg

(Probably) Guaranteed to piss off some fanboys, which makes it even better.

There should be some sort of easter egg there when playing on Switch where he just looks at the camera with a thought bubble saying "well this is awkward...."

• Haha 1

Even on my "modern" PS4, I tend to play retro style games.  Most recently I've been playing Horizon Forbidden West and WRC 9.  I liked Spider-Man and Dirt 4 too.   But mostly on PS4 I play .. Ms Pac-Man and Dig Dug.  Also been enjoying some of the Pinball FX tables -  Williams FunHouse and Fish Tales (both are a lot of fun to me),   and the fairly mediocre Jaws table with fairly mediocre voice actor trying to sound like Robert Shaw/Quint. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

What even is the point of those other systems anymore?

They give the PC guys something to squawk about while troubleshooting and provide a common topic that helps them feel better about their sad selves (or something... I dunno why they feel the need to constantly mouth off about how much better their plastic toys are than others' plastic toys, but they sure as heck do... a lot) so I think those "other systems" provide a valuable service.  🤣  That could be a hard void to fill if it were taken away.  With nothing but PC left, those guys have to shout about "my mouse is better than your mouse" or "my font is superior to your font" or some other such silliness.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 11/24/2023 at 10:37 PM, Cafeman said:

Most recently I've been playing Horizon Forbidden West and WRC 9. 

I finally started Forbidden West this weekend and wow... I loved the first one quite a bit, but the first few hours of this one is giving me some pretty high hopes for what's ahead.  

• Like 2

I played a whole lot of pinball FX in the last week, on my PS4.  Wild West rampage, and Jaws are the tables I’ve played the most.  Also Indiana Jones and Funhouse.  I’m really hooked on Jaws now that I’ve played it and understand it better. It surprises me how complex pinball games can be.  

• Like 1

I play new stuff all the time. I've been a gamer since Combat was new. I play just as many modern titles as older ones, honestly.

That said, when I say I play lots of modern games, I'm not (usually) referring to AAA titles. I'm beyond tired of the overpriced drudge from Activision, Ubisoft etc outside the occasional exception like Elden Ring. Much prefer stuff from mid tier and indie developers like Riftmaker, Dwarf Fortress, Deep Rock Galactic, System Shock Remake, Grounded, Battletech etc. 

Admittedly though, I have way more time than most. My partner and I don't have (or want) kids so I can play mostly when I want. I can't imagine being able to do that juggling work and a couple of kids.

• Like 1

Reading above that reminds me I did grab finally Pinball FX3 because Indiana Jones pinball was $5 instead of the grubby $15 tag it usually has.  I almost grabbed FX but it seems to be more problematic and gimped than the older FX3 on the real table remakes. Also for scummy reason it's like a 40GB download as you buy one game, download them all, and they're hidden behind paying for the rest.  Given most places have download limits, that sucks.  I also nabbed that one pack with Medieval Madness in it too since those 3 in there (2 I really like a lot.)  I don't see buying up a bunch, but if I ever bother to put the TPA back into play my old pack of like 20+ tables should still probably pop up.

• Like 1

Trying to think. Minecraft, but that's what, 14 years old now? (I think it come out earlier, but I did play since 2010) so...still in production, does that count? Uh, atari 50th, switch, but those are mostly old games. Advance wars rebooted, but that's based on a now 20 year old game. Oh, Mario wonder is great, and that's actually new. Heh, I may use modern ish, hardware (switch) but even there still mostly play old stuff.

• Like 1