IGNORED

FinalGROM99 Freakout: Mythical Munchman II mayhem? Frozen keyboard problem.

Boschloo

I've recently acquired the FinalGROM99 cart and I'm blown away by how cool this thing is, in theory. I was able to play a lot of the games. One of the games listed is the mythical "Munchman II." I had heard it existed since possibly the 80's, but had never seen a cart in the wild.

Well, I tried to load it up in FinalGROM99 and it seems to be one of the few failed ROMs. Loading the FinalGROM99 and selecting C for the games folder works most of the time, but with Munchman II, it freezes the keyboard. I find it very interesting that the TI splash logo appears asking me to press any key, but, at that point, the only key that works is Z. The = sign also works, but, pressing it by itself resets the TI-99/4A just as if I had pressed down the function key along with it.

It's a strange error. Does Munchman II work for you? @pixelpedant

• Like 1

Yeah, as far as DBT carts (which are all pretty uncommon), Munchman II doesn't seem super rare.  Probably because it's actually a reasonably playable game that might be worth owning (unlike Boxer and a couple others). 

As far as the Munchman II copy in the standard FGROM archive on WHTECH, it works and plays fine for me. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

Yeah, as far as DBT carts (which are all pretty uncommon), Munchman II doesn't seem super rare.  Probably because it's actually a reasonably playable game that might be worth owning (unlike Boxer and a couple others). 

As far as the Munchman II copy in the standard FGROM archive on WHTECH, it works and plays fine for me. 

Thanks! Can you please link me to the zip containing all the FGROMs? I saw it in one of your videos and it had a much longer list of folders than mine. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, pixelpedant said:

One note, Munchman II is actually one of the cartridges released by Triton, along with The Great Word Race, Strike Three!, Super Extended BASIC, and 4A Flyer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OLD CS1 said:

While I am not @pixelpedant, I can say the Munchman II ROM I have on my FG99 works fine.  The cartridge does turn up from time-to-time on eBay.  I just want to show off mine that I purchased with my lawn mowing money back in the late 80s.

selectdatabioticscarts.thumb.JPG.7769602f70c0629e455340d0b712c959.JPG

Is it normal for the FG99 to freak out when you make a menu option, requiring you to warm reset the TI?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boschloo said:

Is it normal for the FG99 to freak out when you make a menu option, requiring you to warm reset the TI?

I would not call it normal.  I have seen it happen on occasion if the cartridge is not inserted properly (accidental bump,) sometimes when the console is connect to my PEB -- again, not a normal thing I expect.  I have seen freak out at the menu on a QI motherboard, but it should be consistent and not limited to specific ROM/GROM files.

2 hours ago, Boschloo said:

Thanks! Can you please link me to the zip containing all the FGROMs? I saw it in one of your videos and it had a much longer list of folders than mine. 

Well, I've got a bunch of folders of my own creation as well, so that's not necessarily representative of the WHTECH archive.  And I've added any number of cart images from here and there, over time.  But as to the WHTECH archive, it's here:

http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FinalGROM99/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1