Jump to content
IGNORED

GENEVE via HDMI


Shift838

Recommended Posts

I've had a thought to get the Geneve via HDMI without one of the cheap SCART to HDMI.  I want it to go direct to HDMI from the Geneve video.

 

I found a current device that works with the play station to convert the CSYNC over to HDMI.  I tested it first on an Amiga and it worked, so I wired it up to the Geneve.  Still a lot of testing to do, but check the photos out.

 

I have it hooked up to a Dell 22" Monitor, Model: P2222H

 

So far, I have tested MYWORD, MYTERM, DOS stuff.  

 

Pics were taken with my iPhone.

 

4:3 Aspect Ratio:

IMG_1639(1).thumb.JPG.7f007feba73ba5f2d4793b561b81fb50.JPG

IMG_1642.thumb.JPG.698c0fb99ffde0a64df56c32476bb108.JPG

 

16:9 Aspect Ration:

IMG_1640(1).thumb.JPG.853c72cd1943435e0c773729bd193075.JPG

IMG_1641.thumb.JPG.197ffddb96cedebdae832c6c13b35e49.JPG

 

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is something I am interested as I had your adapter board apparently go out on my backup Geneve.  At least I suspect it is the board as the Geneve still boots up.  I had moved things around a couple weeks ago to make room and declutter a work area.  It was working one minute, then another, it had stopped. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, 9640News said:

This is something I am interested as I had your adapter board apparently go out on my backup Geneve.  At least I suspect it is the board as the Geneve still boots up.  I had moved things around a couple weeks ago to make room and declutter a work area.  It was working one minute, then another, it had stopped. 

 

send me the adapter board.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like I found an issue with using Myart.

 

Myart loads but when you try to load a file, save a file, bring up the help it seems to change the graphics mode and you briefly see the screen (for about 1/2 a second maybe) then it goes black.   If you know what you are doing like loading a file you can do it from memory and it looks good, but it is messing up on changing of the graphics mode.  This does not happen when loading GPL as it is good.  I am only experiencing this with MyArt.

 

What other programs that use the graphics capabilities can I find to test?

 

 

IMG_1643.JPG

Edited by Shift838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

The display looks great in pictures. How does it compare with MP910 or some of the other scalers?

 

3 hours ago, Shift838 said:

If you know what you are doing like loading a file you can do it from memory and it looks good, but it is messing up on changing of the graphics mode.  This does not happen when loading GPL as it is good. 

I've not encountered this issue before.  Are you running Myart from EXEC?   You mention GPL, but it isn't clear to me what you meant.  Attach the files you are using and we/I can try it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

 

The display looks great in pictures. How does it compare with MP910 or some of the other scalers?

 

I've not encountered this issue before.  Are you running Myart from EXEC?   You mention GPL, but it isn't clear to me what you meant.  Attach the files you are using and we/I can try it.

The display looks crystal clear, no wavy or shimmering at all.

 

As far as GPL, I can run GPL and any GPL Modules like Parsec and others.  I have tested with no issue.

 

The MyArt has no issue if I'm running it via SCART, so it seems to be something with this HDMI circuit.  And I am running Myart just from the MDOS prompt, not via EXEC.

 

 

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Shift838 said:

The display looks crystal clear, no wavy or shimmering at all.

 

As far as GPL, I can run GPL and any GPL Modules like Parsec and others.  I have tested with no issue.

 

The MyArt has no issue if I'm running it via SCART, so it seems to be something with this HDMI circuit.  And I am running Myart just from the MDOS prompt, not via EXEC.

Excellent on the clarity.  

 

I don't think the interlace mode is enabled in the Myart menu but that is one distinct possibility that could impact the scaler. Assuming the problem is not with your copy of Myart.  I suspect you already ruled that out.

 

With ABASIC, you can set each of the graphics modes with the CALL GRAPHICS(x,y) command.  I don't have the manual handy but they are all documented. If you find one that doesn't work, that would be a good starting point for troubleshooting with the device. 

 

Y.A.P.P. is a /4a based graphics program that can load and display images. 

 

Edit: does your Geneve have the extra 64K for a total of 192K VRAM?  That might make a difference in one or both programs.  We/I used YAPP to verify the 192K mod was added successfully, back in the day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Excellent on the clarity.  

 

I don't think the interlace mode is enabled in the Myart menu but that is one distinct possibility that could impact the scaler. Assuming the problem is not with your copy of Myart.  I suspect you already ruled that out.

 

With ABASIC, you can set each of the graphics modes with the CALL GRAPHICS(x,y) command.  I don't have the manual handy but they are all documented. If you find one that doesn't work, that would be a good starting point for troubleshooting with the device. 

 

Y.A.P.P. is a /4a based graphics program that can load and display images. 

 

Edit: does your Geneve have the extra 64K for a total of 192K VRAM?  That might make a difference in one or both programs.  We/I used YAPP to verify the 192K mod was added successfully, back in the day. 

The Myart I am using is version 1.4 and works fine on my 910MP via SCART.  I have not tried any other scaler's.  I also thought about the interlace mode as it is set by default in Myart from what I read, changing it had not effect.

 

All graphics modes work in ABasic as well.

 

Is Myart 1.4 the latest version?

 

I'll dig up Y.A.P.P and give it a shot too.  My geneve has the 192k VRAM mod already.  changing all the modes from the MDOS prompt works fine too.

 

Edited by Shift838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

Excellent on the clarity.  

 

I don't think the interlace mode is enabled in the Myart menu but that is one distinct possibility that could impact the scaler. Assuming the problem is not with your copy of Myart.  I suspect you already ruled that out.

 

With ABASIC, you can set each of the graphics modes with the CALL GRAPHICS(x,y) command.  I don't have the manual handy but they are all documented. If you find one that doesn't work, that would be a good starting point for troubleshooting with the device. 

 

Y.A.P.P. is a /4a based graphics program that can load and display images. 

 

Edit: does your Geneve have the extra 64K for a total of 192K VRAM?  That might make a difference in one or both programs.  We/I used YAPP to verify the 192K mod was added successfully, back in the day. 

is there a trick to loading YAPP?  I tried to use the command 'EXEC YAPP' within the directory and it looks like it loads the program, but immediately exits the EXEC info screen about the program loader being Faireware and if you find it usefull, etc. etc etc..

 

 

Edited by Shift838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Shift838 said:

is there a trick to loading YAPP?  I tried to use the command 'EXEC YAPP' within the directory and it looks like it loads the program, but immediately exits the EXEC info screen about the program loader being Faireware and if you find it usefull, etc. etc etc..

 

 

No trick I am aware of, though it might try to load a file from DSK1 - mouse driver perhaps?  I can try both your Myart and YAPP on my system tonight if you attach the files.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

No trick I am aware of, though it might try to load a file from DSK1 - mouse driver perhaps?  I can try both your Myart and YAPP on my system tonight if you attach the files.

it was looking for something on DSK1, slapped the image on my Gotek and it loaded.

 

I had no issues loading images up and changing screen modes with YAPP.  Starting to look like an issue with MyArt only.  I was also able to run Tetris, telnet in graphics mode from MDOS with no issues.

 

 

Edited by Shift838
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, 9640News said:

I assume no issue loading those same graphic screens up as well?

 

 

correct no issues.

 

With MyArt i did not have issues loading the graphic screens, I just had issues when MyArt would change the screen mode for the menu like when you hit S to load.  if you know what the screen says you can type it blind then enter the file name and it loads the graphic file fine.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With my Kodak CRT and my copy of Myart, the 9938 interlace is enabled while in the picture graphics mode.  (Interlace flicker is very noticeable (to me) on a CRT.)  The help and options screens are not interlaced. 

 

If you want to play around with the setting you can turn it on/off within GPL.  Press ENTER for the menu or load up a cart like XB.  Once in the menu or XB, press the left-hand CTRL-ALT-SHIFT keys together to cycle interlace/non-interlace. You'll through four different settings with the interlace and "26.5" mode bits.  I think the latter bit is a mistake in the code.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

With my Kodak CRT and my copy of Myart, the 9938 interlace is enabled while in the picture graphics mode.  (Interlace flicker is very noticeable (to me) on a CRT.)  The help and options screens are not interlaced. 

 

If you want to play around with the setting you can turn it on/off within GPL.  Press ENTER for the menu or load up a cart like XB.  Once in the menu or XB, press the left-hand CTRL-ALT-SHIFT keys together to cycle interlace/non-interlace. You'll through four different settings with the interlace and "26.5" mode bits.  I think the latter bit is a mistake in the code.

what is the latest version of Myart?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

messed around some more with this little unit this morning.  I thought to myself for some reason it feels like it is losing its sync signal, or something.  Tried a variable resistor/trimmer to adjust the resistance on the csync line when the screen goes blank within Myart screen mode changes, no effect.  let it set while I thought about it and the screen suddenly came back.  odd.  

 

Took the trimmer out of the circuit and letting it sit the screen will eventually come to life.  I then decided to just try to flip the aspect ratio switch on it and it came to life.  This must be something to do with the unit itself.

 

I was thinking maybe a capacitor in line with the csync line may do the trick, so I tested about 25 different values, and they all do the same thing, the only thing that seems to work is switching the aspect ratio and back, cycling the power or a pushbutton switch to quickly reset the csync signal, a normally closed tactile pushbutton will work.

 

 

 

Edited by Shift838
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...