IGNORED

The "Coleco Chameleon" lives?!?!?

TPR

2 hours ago, teuton17 said:

Hi,

Can anyone share the supported file formats by system; the sd card format (FAT 32, exFAT, etc.), and the maximum sd card size? I want to make my sd card in advance of receiving the flashcart. Thanks in advance.

The SD card is already set up, and doesn't see added folders for organization, as far as I can tell. So, if you want to organize your roms by separate folders (for example games that begin with A, B, C, etc.) it seems you are unable to do so. So as far as Colecovision roms are concerned, I prefer my AtariMax Ultimate SD for the Colecovision. You can organize all your roms into whatever folders you wish (like make a separate Homebrew folder, for example). So it's easier to find what game you want to play, and the Ultimate SD is much faster too (you need to scroll through each game individually on the Chameleon until you find the one your looking for). But the Ultimate SD doesn't play the other game types (SGM, SG-1000, PV-2000, CreatiVision) so it's still a great device to own, it just won't replace my Ultimate SD for Colecovision roms specifically. The manual does mention the possibility of firmware updates, so adding folders might be an option in the future. Another thing I noticed is after adding roms to the Chameleon, you need to use a program like DriveSort in order for your games to appear in alphabetical order. No big deal, but just wanted to mention it. And unfortunately, even though it was well packed, my Chameleon box arrived crushed which is a shame because I love the box and planned on displaying it. I actually purchased it just as much for the box as the cartridge itself!

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the response. Seems a bit strange that the SD card has such a rigid structure, must have to do with hardcoding in the FPGA. I have the Ultimate CV Cart and Collectorvision Phoenix as well. I am just a sucker for flashcarts!

Would you please send me a photo of the root directory as I want to prototype the card in advance and then just copy over the game files properly once the cart arrives?  I presume it is FAT32, 32 GB max, though I was looking for confirmation on that. I also intend for the card I intend to build to be a backup to the one that comes with it.

Have you had any luck playing the SGM / 32K games?

I am sorry to hear about the crushed box - that is a real bummer. Perhaps you can get them to send you a replacement - never hurts to ask.

15 hours ago, teuton17 said:

Thank you for the response. Seems a bit strange that the SD card has such a rigid structure, must have to do with hardcoding in the FPGA. I have the Ultimate CV Cart and Collectorvision Phoenix as well. I am just a sucker for flashcarts!

Would you please send me a photo of the root directory as I want to prototype the card in advance and then just copy over the game files properly once the cart arrives?  I presume it is FAT32, 32 GB max, though I was looking for confirmation on that. I also intend for the card I intend to build to be a backup to the one that comes with it.

Have you had any luck playing the SGM / 32K games?

I am sorry to hear about the crushed box - that is a real bummer. Perhaps you can get them to send you a replacement - never hurts to ask.

It's a 16gb micro sd card, fat32

DSC00205.JPG

DSC00211.JPG

DSC00210.JPG

DSC00209.JPG

DSC00208.JPG

Edited by livingonwheels
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm guessing they are emulating the non-Coleco systems and pumping the TMS-99x8 data through the Colecovision's TMS-9918a. This could explain the issue with parts of the screen not updating correctly. There just isn't enough time to get the data to the VDP before the frame draws on the TV, especially on non-static backgrounds.

The same seems to be happening with the SN76489 data. From the description, there seems to be some attempt at converting the AY-3-8910 data to SN6489 where they can also.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 5:38 AM, NIAD said:

I’m equally impressed by the CV+ capabilities but wonder if that will work on an ADAM. Seems to me that the extra memory support provided would have to be disabled like the Opcode SGM does when connected to an ADAM.

Been kinda busy lately working on a new project so just noticed this post today. I too wonder if it can detect the extra memory, because if not it could be an issue with my CV-NUC+ unit as well. Anyone confirm this?

(just found this!)

Hey cool!

(I thought about putting in a joke,...like...I emailed him 10 seconds ago and he still hasn't gotten back to me!!)...

Anyway,  as I'm almost off to work,   Mainly I'll look into this when I have time.  Hope I haven't missed it!

3 hours ago, Greg2600 said:

Hopefully I can get one.  Wouldn't use it for CV, have the AtariMax anyway. 

How are the "emulation" of the Casio and CreatiVision?  I maybe played them once in person and hardly if ever on emulator.

The emulation seems spot on

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rietveld said:

The emulation seems spot on

@Greg2600

I'm not sure it's emulation?  Since these are all Z80 systems, doesn't the cart run some FPGA proc to hardware emulation the other non-CPU chips?

FWIW, playing SG-1000 on the Colecovision feels very much like playing on the MiSTer and Sega Master System

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RockLobster said:

I'm not sure it's emulation?  Since these are all Z80 systems, doesn't the cart run some FPGA proc to hardware emulation the other non-CPU chips?

The Creativision is 6502. Can RAM be mapped to the cartridge port on the Colecovision? The PV-2000 has 4k and Colecovision+ has up to 24k.

I'm thinking the exact opposite. Everything, other than standard Colecovision mode, is emulated to some degree. I think there's a passthrough of TMS-99x8 and SN76489 data.

Edited by cdoty
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cdoty said:

Everything, other than standard Colecovision mode, is emulated to some degree.

Yeah I have no idea what's going on inside that cart.   Though is it hardware emulation via FPGA or software emulation via code running in a general instruction set processor?

I meant "emulation" in a generic sense, because something is translating 6502 instructions to z80 that the CV uses.  Ironically the Creativision MK-II was designed to do this with a CV expansion cart, that was never released.  All of those systems used the same VDP, so obviously that's the connection, and what makes it possible.  But you know, sometimes there's a difference in the palette, or the controls stink, etc.

2 hours ago, cdoty said:

This seems to suggest it's ran by an RP2040 microcontroller.

That may be an unrelated project from those guys.   Although if it were the same thing, the RP2040 microcontroller (pico pi) won't be doing any emulation but just enough to load data.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...