IGNORED

To sell or not to sell, that is the question...

82-T/A

So, I went to a game shop that I happened to drive by today... was pleasantly surprised that they had Atari 2600 games... 3 for $5, which is really not that bad. I also picked up the NES T&C Surf Designs, which has always been a favorite of mine.

Seeing some of the systems there, I realized that I STILL have a bunch of video games that I never play. Granted, I enjoy having some games that I can pick up and play now and then, but then I question, do I really need duplicates and doubles of the systems I have? Like... I have an NES Action Set CIB... more or less new, but I've opened it and played it a few times, so no longer NIB. But I also have two other NES systems (my wife's from when she was a kid) and another one that came from who knows where. I then ALSO have a Retron system that plays NES games. So... maybe I keep 1 original NES as a backup and the Retron, but why do I have the other stuff?

Seriously makes me question whether or not I need any of this stuff... and I'm getting that "itch" where I feel like I have too much stuff and it's starting to own me, rather than me owning it.

For the record, I unloaded like 75% of my video games several years ago, and got rid of even more stuff like 10 years before that. So I'm finding that I want to pare more and more down.

I also have a couple of computer systems that I'm considering getting rid of. I have my original 8088 KayPro... which I will NOT sell. But I also have the family's second computer, a Leading Edge D3/SX 386 computer, and it doesn't even work (battery leaked on the motherboard). But it's complete in the box... but I'm wondering why I have this, and for what purpose? I don't think I'll ever use it... because honestly, I have a Dell P325 386 desktop that I put a 486 DLC-40 in that I can switch between basically a DX-25 386 and a slower 486 SX, which is perfect... and I don't even play that.

Anyone kind of looking over the cliff and wondering if you should make the leap of faith and just unload a ton more stuff???

From my experience the issue is pretty clear.

Items - Time = Lack of use

Lack of use + money = More things you DO care about

No reason to store it, if it sits and you're not overly attached.  I'm still unloading systems, handhelds, games, PC games I just don't have time for anymore I know I won't feel too rotten about parting with, toys too.

The whole rip the band-aid off thing never has had an impact on me after 05's unemployment era hurt me bad losing well over a thousand pieces, that was a slow painfully awful pull one hair at a time on an old school band-aid moment so my attachment to most of it just isn't there but what was largely retained from before the dying.  Some just will end with me or my cares entirely.

Just look at it, and make 3 mental, preferable physical piles to start on the floor.

A= KEEP

B= ???

C= I'm done

Once A and C are set firmly, then look at B and try and spread that up or down best you can, the more it lingers in that pile, the more it needs to deservedly be in C.  It works.

Right now I'm making the A *B* C moment with Gamecube in B entirely.

Why?  I don't use it but very rarely.  After my original system died and then right after the steep increase of insipid greed and shady behavior has put me off it basically all together.  I can't find any fair prices, good prices on the stuff anymore other than the rotten licensed drek and sports garbage.  Gamecube has been turned into like a Sega optical island of hell where the better stuff starts around $70 and gets into the 100s and I'm not doing that.  The mini-dvds are over compressed and lean towards being picky to keep working like overly compressed CD aka GDROMs the DC used.  Too many moving parts, finicky discs, shitty scalpers is a bad trifecta that sucked the joy out of it.

I'm right on this whole 55/45 edge of dump it or hibernate it.  I won't do it this month, but if that IRS thing is true about $5000 next year I may just let the sharks have the feeding.  Most of my GC games are stuff I've always had largely retail bought/gifted so it's a bit more ehhhh about letting that go vs second hand store dumpster dives.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/2/2023 at 8:16 PM, Tanooki said:

if that IRS thing is true about $5000 next year

What IRS thing?

I have a collection of Apple II stuff that I really should sell. I refocused my collecting toward the Commodore 64 and 128 so now they're just going to gather dust. Yet I can't sell because I got them too recently. They LOOK great...but they won't see actual use because of the Commodore thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 12/2/2023 at 6:32 PM, 82-T/A said:

Anyone kind of looking over the cliff and wondering if you should make the leap of faith and just unload a ton more stuff???

I'm sure you know the saying, "The things you own, end up owning you." I've been feeling a lot of mental weight from all my crap lately, so yeah, I have started downsizing a little bit. Like in your case I had a lot of duplicates. 3 NES consoles, 3 SNES, 2 Saturns, 3 2600 systes, etc., so I started unloading those. I've also combed over things I barely play, that can also be played elsewhere at high quality now. I already sold my Jaguar (BigPEmu is amazing and I have a Jag controller adapter to keep that original feel), and I'm weighing in my PC Engine DUO (I have an Analogue DUO about to arrive) along with my Neo-Geo CD (my MiSTer FPGA handles that perfectly).

Getting rid of the dupes at the very least and only keeping what I need/what I will actually use has felt good. Instead of selling online or to others locally, I've just taken them to the local game store and picked up some games here and there with the resulting store credit.

In some cases it's a really good time to sell, too. Yesterday I took a scratched up original 3DS, a decent 2DS, and a decent DS Lite, all loose, and ended up with $240 in store credit. I ended up nabbing a few things I've really wanted (and can't normally justify the high price of), like a PC Engine DUO-RX six-button pad. So not only am I lightening my load, but am getting a few things I've always wanted in the process. It's win-win. 

5 hours ago, Boschloo said:

What IRS thing?

I have a collection of Apple II stuff that I really should sell. I refocused my collecting toward the Commodore 64 and 128 so now they're just going to gather dust. Yet I can't sell because I got them too recently. They LOOK great...but they won't see actual use because of the Commodore thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This: https://www.kiplinger.com/taxes/irs-1099-k-tax-change-for-online-selling

Looks like for most of the country, it's still a $20,000 threshold if you sell via PayPal, Venmo, etc., before being sent a 1099. However, a handful of states (like mine, Virginia) implemented a $600 rule years ago. Go over $600, and I get a 1099. That $20k threshold for the rest of the country however will apparently be lowered to $5,000 next year.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 1

I have ONE more item I'm going to buy and then that's it, hopefully forever this time. I turned to collecting again to deal with a stressful real life situation, but this isn't the way to do it. Filling the house with junk from the 80s isn't going to take me back to 1985. It's going to take me to depression when I look at it and realize that's not the world anymore.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Boschloo said:

I have ONE more item I'm going to buy and then that's it, hopefully forever this time. I turned to collecting again to deal with a stressful real life situation, but this isn't the way to do it. Filling the house with junk from the 80s isn't going to take me back to 1985. It's going to take me to depression when I look at it and realize that's not the world anymore.

A lot of people get into this hobby because of the nostalgia factor and then go overboard hoarding things at a crazy rate while it's all still new and fresh to them. It's fun in the beginning, but then they realize it can be overbearing and stress-inducing. Then they do a complete 180 and unload it all.

Honestly, it's all about finding a good balance that works for you. Keep the hardware that means something to you and is still fun to play with, then get rid of the rest ("trimming the fat", so to speak). It doesn't have to be all or nothing--just gotta find that happy medium.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Austin said:

A lot of people get into this hobby because of the nostalgia factor, but then go overboard hoarding things at a crazy rate. It's fun in the beginning but then they start to realize it has become overbearing and stress-inducing. Then they do a complete 180 and unload it all.

Honestly, it's all about finding a good balance that works for you. Keep the hardware that means something to you and is still fun to play with, then get rid of the rest ("trimming the fat", so to speak). It doesn't have to be all or nothing--just gotta find that happy medium.

It's exactly what just happened, I accumulated stuff at an insane rate just over the last month or so. My first post here was on October 28 I think. Now I own a lot of stuff I wish I hadn't bought. It was nice to see all those things again, but the moment itself is gone forever. 

Yup I agree with everything. After a couple of decades since the '90s when I started collecting games, I finally offloaded a ton of them the past two months and it feels great. I kept only the ones that mean something to me or ones that are pretty expensive. Everything fits into a nice small section and it's nice knowing I only have games that I want or am familiar with. I use emulation a lot too.

• Like 5

Good on you @cimerians that's the way.  Nothing wrong with even getting a few new items now, if it's one you know you'll actually play and enjoy, otherwise, there's probably 100s left and that's more than enough to rotate over time along with whatever item here or there shakes out.

I'm fence sitting losing the Gamecube, that market is just awful, god awful, and unlike a lot of vintage systems now falling to even moderately crashing on the loose side that stupid thing is maintaining and increasing which is madness.  It seems the problem children are all flocking to something to keep artificially up, much like enough of the DS/3DS stuff is too which is ridiculous and why I did offload those two.  I'm right on the edge of taking an afternoon, snapping a lot of images and going to town on it as the money would be nice.

That said even what's here now is a pittance to what had been twice before, though nothing like the first.  Right now I've got a 21 shelf propac media triple shelf, at one rate it was totally loaded and stuff on the top too and various other storage bits too.  Now though, 80% if we ignore the few tabletops/toys, randomness and a number of DVDs and Blu Rays(anime) on there, and when it was last more loaded I wasn't using up the entire bottom of it for MVS carts which are space pigs compared to consoles so it would be a bit less yet.  GB to GBA sit in a pair of pull out old drawers and a snap case(gba), VB with those, and the genesis games I have just rest in a wooden cube with a door.  There are other items in the room, but the totality of it is a lot less.  It helps kill the burden it really does.

Ideally if it didn't feel like tearing off a band-aid from the last big console era I cared about the Gamecube would be out.  I've got other stuff I'd debate doing it too on a game by game basis, but I don't think I'd pull a lot still from the NES, SNES, 64, Gen, GG, GB to GBA, VB(complete set, going nowhere), and random mini arcades/handhelds/tabletops I have.  It seems like a lot, but what's here really isn't that bad if you imagine some of this I've had about 40 years now.

If anyone is really curious I don't usually link this anymore but: http://tanooki.byethost8.com/

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 3:32 PM, 82-T/A said:

I'm on the opposite end, I think.  I am collecting but I'm "behind", meaning I want/"need" more stuff, mostly 5200, Vectrex and 2600.  On the 2600 I have long since decided that trying to collect everything for it is insane, but I want to have "enough" to have a little more than what I had as a kid.  Part of that is mentally kicking myself for throwing away the boxes for most of those games (my brother owns our original gear, I'm buying replacements for myself).  Part of it is time travel, seeing/playing those games puts me back in the '70s/'80s for a brief time.  What I've learned to do is look for games (usually the Sears Telegames versions of the 2600 stuff) and, just sort of stare at them (the auctions).  I leave the auctions up, go back a few times.  I know it sounds weird but some times it's enough, I just need to look at the game and, if it's not that great of a game and I didn't really want it back when I was a kid, then looking at an auction for the boxed CIB version for $40.00 is good enough, I'm not going to pay that much for that game just because it's "part of a set" of the old-school Atari shit.  On the other hand, certain games, I'm getting them goddammit.  But not at $80.00 or whatever.  So I keep looking, browsing through the listing.  Also the For Sale area on AtariAge.  Once in a while, bingo, I get some cool shit for a justifiable amount of money.  I got all 3 of the Sears exclusive 2600 games (Steeplechase, Submarine Commander, Stellar Track) for very reasonable money, now on eBay they're too expensive.  This is of course taking forever but, again, forcing myself to wait for the right price sometimes gets me to the point of asking, why am I even trying to get that game?  I didn't even care about it when it was new, knock it off.  Those weaker games are going to be what the Harmony cart is for.  But I do still want some specific gear (I need some keyboard controllers, for example) because you can't simulate that.  I want a CIB Sears Race game, big box with the Driving controllers and everything else.

The 5200 and Vectrex, "thankfully", were never that popular so "collecting everything" isn't nearly so daunting or expensive.  Again, certain games are lame, don't care.  On the other hand I'm also more interested in homebrews because those two systems look much better than whatever the 2600 could pull off.  But, "thankfully", it's not like 50 homebrews show up per year, either, so it's manageable.  Also, legitimately thankfully, I don't give a crap about newer systems, not even the first Playstation or any Nintendo stuff, so thou$ands saved there, hahaahaha.  Ok, I do want an XBox so I can play Steel Battalion but that's Money and I can wait.

They say shit or get off the pot, well ...I just started selling my Gamecube stuff off locally to friends giving first shot at things.  Most of it is all only owned and ever touched by me things, so they're like 9.5/10 type condition stuff. :D  The value on the stuff is ugly like over 3000 and I don't even have a huge amount of it which is sucky, but why its going in part...greedy prices to get or enjoy it.

Right now and only writing this because it's evolving and related or I'd keep out of it.  I've already looked up what the stuff sells for on ebay in comparable shape, then set a low price so that the 30% BIN is in the middle range of what they sell fairly easily for.

Step 1: Talk to local/long distance friends and give them a notably nicer price on anything, first picks.

Step 2: Take images

Step 3: Dec 26th it's going all up on ebay either at ones if possible (it's a lot) or in stages as they go

From there I'm thinking cold turkey on the stuff, and probably just erase the emulator and ISO backups I keep and that's it.  I'm a bit tempted to keep the ISOs, but I think I'd just not use them or it could bother me later.  That said, anything on Cube that did get a Steam/GOG release I'll get those as like there's this slick Dreamcast Collection on Steam and it has the 2 Sonic games and Crazy Taxi I enjoy, and then Tales of Symphonia is on there too (I have its guide, keeping the guide for it) so a few I can retain.  Sunshine is on that Switch card, 1000 year door is on Switch in a few months, little things like that.

There is an alternative to the keep or sell dichotomy -- give it to a local thrift shop. Someone has to support local resellers (and collectors)!

Selling things online is far too much effort for the amount of revenue that I will generate, but I still want to clear some space.

I am off to my local thrift shop tomorrow with some books, last year's Winter coat, and some random joysticks and other bits and pieces.  

This past year, I have donated approximately 15 boxes of books to various thrift shops, as well as numerous other things, including a vintage set of glassware. I intentionally spread these donations between six establishments in two different cities. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I laughed, but at the idea of doing that with games other than some ratty sports titles isn't happening.  If I knew 100% fact they'd go to gamers and not scalpers to rip someone else off I'd feel entirely different, but I'm not going to help the exploitation racket.  Clothes, food bank, old appliances, furniture, toys, tools, etc sure as it'll help the needy, but sending something random like Final Fantasy II SNES to a thrift is a waste.  Most of it will go to pay for the employees and keeping the doors open, it won't help anyone, other than a scalper if they don't already ask some preposterous ebay rate like goodwill does now.

For me it depends on why.  I have over 100 sets of darts but they take up little space, of course..

I almost sold several of my BMX bikes a couple of years ago..my wife had spinal surgery and thought we might need the money, fortunately she beat her timetables on everything.  I didn't tell her I might sell them though just in case haha..

That said in my case I don't see most/all of those things as they're in the garage.  Better thing is my wife doesn't have to, she's a minimalist.

• 3 weeks later...

Its tough for sure right now. When I started collecting >20 years ago prices were a lot more friendly on the wallet. Now prices are just crazy across the board for everything and it makes it a lot harder to get more items and less fun. I still like to pick up new items I don't have however I see myself focusing more on the older consoles now more than anything. Its really about having fun, if its not fun, its not worth doing. 

• Like 1

Personally, I have tried reduce my own collection of stuff and have all the gaming coverage I could need and/or want.  Currently, I have a modded 3DS to play DS and 3DS along with retro thrown in.  I also have a Razer Edge to do Android gaming as well as retro stuff, and now added a Steam Deck OLED for PC gaming along with even more retro stuff.  Finally, I have an Atari Flashback handheld (woodgrain version) that I probably should get rid off, but can't as I like it too much.  But, I do have an Anbernic RG351mp that I do like quite a bit, but will be looking to get rid of as it has been made more than redundant.

However, all that being said, it really just depends on what you need and/or want to do.  Personally, I just don't want the space and/or hassle to maintain a big collection of stuff.  Sure, I like having nice things and enough of it, but I think one can have too much where one's stuff becomes too much of a burden.  Just my thoughts on it. 

Take care and best of luck no matter what you and/or anyone else decides to do.

The burden is real, and I got off the fence and most of my gamecube stuff is gone as it's going at a good pace.  The last 6 games I need to upload I'm being lazy about but most of what was up has sold so far.  Even offloaded a decent number of dvd/blu rays I had largely anime stuff I can catch on streaming.

My collecting is currently a bit out of control, but I'm bringing things into focus. I have loads of stuff that I've collected for my current and future students, and a lot of stuff that I'm collecting for spare parts, but I'm aiming to keep the core of my collecting to only 8-bit Atari systems. For instance, I have a Mega Drive, but I just have a single flash cart for it, same with my TI 99/4As, and my SNES. When we find my Girlfriend's childhood NES, it will likewise get a flash cart.

I do have a very large collection of vintage TI calculators. I have no issues about selling off or parting out all of the duplicates. 

I do currently have a lot of Atari 8-bit that needs to be repaired or broken down for parts. Getting to that next winter will reduce my collection by a few hundred cubic feet. And I have hundreds of paddle controllers to be gone over and sold for a few dollars a pair.

This year we integrated the household of a relative who passed. His wife also paired way down as well. So, we took in a fantastic amount of clothing and housewares that need to be sold off. That's eating up a huge amount of room right now. For what remains this summer, I will probably do a couple flea market days. I've always done well with them and can usually dump a panel truck's worth in a weekend.

I used to collect dice and rubber ducks exclusively. Where did I go wrong???

At one point when I was very broke, I sold my Sega Dreamcast and Nintendo 64 collections. That was over 23 years ago and that decision still bothers me. That was before Ebay really took off, and I took all of my stuff to a secondhand shop and sold it all. I got the cash I needed badly but I don't have that stuff anymore. The Dreamcast stuff particularly bothers me. Dreamcast has become very hot in the past decade or so, and anything for it can catch a premium. I don't want to sell it now, but as a retro game enthusiast, I just want to play some of the games. At another point of being extremely broke, (closer to 15 years ago) I listed my entire SNES collection, including my SNES "slim" that I bought to replace my original console that died and my games on eBay. It never sold and I'm glad it didn't.

The past 8+ years have been really good to me. I'm so financially well off that I buy retro stuff and other fun things that I really enjoy and I've made other great purchases, such as buying a house last fall. I remember the tough times, though, so I'm glad for what I have. However, extreme financial hardship is the only reason I'd sell a retro collection as I enjoy classic games.

The question I would ask everyone first is... do you actually PLAY the games you have?

I fully get and understand the feeling that you have when you see a large collection of games. For many of us, it brings back memories of seeing everything on the shelf at Toys R' Us, or what have you. But a massive collection of games can also CONSUME you. So you have to be acutely aware of how your collection can manifest into an addiction. If you have a large video game collection, but your house looks like total shit, with paint peeling outside, and weeds and landscaping looking like crap ... or... you've spent all your money on video games and are renting an apartment because you cannot afford a house. Well... you have a problem.

There's nothing wrong with having nice things, it's when they control you that you have to take stock of your life and reconsider how much these things actively mean to you, and whether or not you even have the time in your life to actually use them.

I'd say that's a soft yes.  I play or did play with them for a long time.  If I bring it in now it's to play, not to be a shelf queen about.  But that said I've got a lot of my original NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy(color and advance) games I've had since they were on the market still.  I like to go back to them, it may take months, years even, but I do go back for a little fun so I'm fine letting those rest which is why it's a soft yes.  But if I bring something in now my intent is not to flip but to play, but I buy local and cheap so if it's not for me or meh one and done it's out of here.

Gamecube went out despite it being part of that club because of various factors.  One being the utterly predatory asinine prices despite the current ongoing downward trend in game prices, they're not.  I'm on my 2nd cube because the original just decided to largely up and not want to load any discs anymore, it wasn't a pot issue, it was the unit itself and needed replacing and made more sense just swapping new hardware in.  But that's the beef with me, laser based systems are flaky and can go and will go far sooner than chip on board.  The games are also flaky on cube, the double density in particular are a struggle for the hardware and any unalignment they get pissy, plus the storage is highly compressed so the wrong mark can spell doom like on Dreamcast (another I put the same reasons on not to own now outside emulation.)  I just saw it as a costly liability, finicky, and too temperamental to put up with, let some collector fuss over it as it had demotivated me into buying things I should enjoy and staring at it, so it went.

As of now largely what I have fits onto one large propak 3 tier 21 placeable wherever style shelf.  I could load it easily if I took the little gameboy games and trayed them so they wouldn't fall off, it's not even full now with 3 spaces eaten by MVS, 3 more with anime stuff largely, and various others with some toys/handhelds on display.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

I'd say that's a soft yes.  I play or did play with them for a long time.  If I bring it in now it's to play, not to be a shelf queen about.  But that said I've got a lot of my original NES, SNES, N64, Gameboy(color and advance) games I've had since they were on the market still.  I like to go back to them, it may take months, years even, but I do go back for a little fun so I'm fine letting those rest which is why it's a soft yes.  But if I bring something in now my intent is not to flip but to play, but I buy local and cheap so if it's not for me or meh one and done it's out of here.

Gamecube went out despite it being part of that club because of various factors.  One being the utterly predatory asinine prices despite the current ongoing downward trend in game prices, they're not.  I'm on my 2nd cube because the original just decided to largely up and not want to load any discs anymore, it wasn't a pot issue, it was the unit itself and needed replacing and made more sense just swapping new hardware in.  But that's the beef with me, laser based systems are flaky and can go and will go far sooner than chip on board.  The games are also flaky on cube, the double density in particular are a struggle for the hardware and any unalignment they get pissy, plus the storage is highly compressed so the wrong mark can spell doom like on Dreamcast (another I put the same reasons on not to own now outside emulation.)  I just saw it as a costly liability, finicky, and too temperamental to put up with, let some collector fuss over it as it had demotivated me into buying things I should enjoy and staring at it, so it went.

As of now largely what I have fits onto one large propak 3 tier 21 placeable wherever style shelf.  I could load it easily if I took the little gameboy games and trayed them so they wouldn't fall off, it's not even full now with 3 spaces eaten by MVS, 3 more with anime stuff largely, and various others with some toys/handhelds on display.

Here in lies a problem that I have.

I have 4 arcade machines in my house...

- Galaga (totally restored, but the monitor just blew)

- Polybius (a custom 345897234234 in 1 arcade cabinet done up like a Polybius cabinet)

- Missile Command (totally original, only Missile Command, works)

- Super PacMan (totally restored, has a 60-in-1 in it with all the PacMans, and also Galaga and Missile Command)

So... why do I have Galaga and Missile Command, when both the Polybius and the Super PacMan also have have both those games?

I like looking at them... I want more arcade games, but I have to force myself against buying new ones, cause I don't have the space.

I do play the Super PacMan (usually PacMan Plus) on it at least once or twice a day. I actually leave it on 24x7. It uses almost no power. Marquee uses LED lights, the coin doors use LED lights, the PCB is a teeny tiny modern PCB that has 60 in one, and the screen is a Dell 27" monitor (I think.. forget the size). So almost no power... I just leave it on.

10 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

The question I would ask everyone first is... do you actually PLAY the games you have?

Yes, I maintain a playable collection. I often pull down a pile of carts and just cycle through them until I find what fits my mood. I cycle through which antique calculator is on my desk for regular work. 

About the overlaps though. I love Dig Dug and have it for all the 8-bit Atari. Indeed, a lot of my collection overlaps from system to system. 

I have yet to build it, but I just want a single arcade cabinet with several systems integrated into it. I think that would be a great place for each system and a flash cart to land.

2 hours ago, bent_pin said:

I have yet to build it, but I just want a single arcade cabinet with several systems integrated into it. I think that would be a great place for each system and a flash cart to land.

This... I seriously think it would be nice to have a well-laid out arcade cabinet that allowed me to switch between say, the Atari 50th (guts from a 1Up), the 23452345234523456 in 1 system that's in there new, a Raspberri Pi w/ Jamma connector, and maybe something else. There are 4 in 1 Jamma connectors that allow you to switch between them, almost like a KVM, I just don't know yet what that would look like inside.

My Polybius is kind of sweet... it has an 100 watt amp in it with dual 40 watt speakers and a powered subwoofer all installed. I've never cranked it, but when I play the 10000+ Capcom fighting games, you really feel the punch.