IGNORED

To sell or not to sell, that is the question...

82-T/A

13 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

The question I would ask everyone first is... do you actually PLAY the games you have?

Honestly, it varies. I pull out consoles sometimes and I have a go at a lot of them. Though, many can be emulated. Some of my favorites have even been released on modern collections that make them more accessible than having to drag all of that out and hook up systems. Sometimes I wonder why I mess around with cartridges. They bring me joy, but mostly for smaller game sessions. When it comes to long gaming sessions, I'm usually in front of my PC or playing a modern console.

I'm planning on using a traditional CRT, I think it's 38-41", can't remember. The TV tilted back with a traditional shaped hood and Atari Marquee, all sitting on a clear acrylic cabinet showing off the original systems with LEDs and some slick cable management. Quad speakers, rumbling subwoofer.

Still working on the layout idea for the controls. I want 2 each 4/8 points joysticks, analog joysticks, heavy rotary encoders, trackballs, and light guns.

But making a cabinet that can host multiple arcade boards would solve space issues for a lot of collectors.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 1:42 PM, 82-T/A said:

I do play the Super PacMan (usually PacMan Plus) on it at least once or twice a day. I actually leave it on 24x7. It uses almost no power. Marquee uses LED lights, the coin doors use LED lights, the PCB is a teeny tiny modern PCB that has 60 in one, and the screen is a Dell 27" monitor (I think.. forget the size). So almost no power... I just leave it on.

That does sound nice.  I don't have the experience (as in done it before) to properly go that route, it's why I never did it on the pins I had.  Ideally I'd love to get an LED kit for my MVS for the 2 panels up top and/or just an LED panel to just light the whole thing as the dark area with 2 lit boxes are a bit strange to me, and then for the coin spots as well.  I know it's hated, but if I could get a 25" or near it square LCD panel 'd drop the CRT too since I don't like the quirks of it between games as it gets choosy where it aligns even after a recap so it's a nature of the beast.

On 1/20/2024 at 9:32 PM, Tanooki said:

That does sound nice.  I don't have the experience (as in done it before) to properly go that route, it's why I never did it on the pins I had.  Ideally I'd love to get an LED kit for my MVS for the 2 panels up top and/or just an LED panel to just light the whole thing as the dark area with 2 lit boxes are a bit strange to me, and then for the coin spots as well.  I know it's hated, but if I could get a 25" or near it square LCD panel 'd drop the CRT too since I don't like the quirks of it between games as it gets choosy where it aligns even after a recap so it's a nature of the beast.

Yeah, the "hate" for flat-screen monitors is a bit much. I think generally, if you're restoring an arcade machine, you should probably use a CRT if you can. But if you're building a generic multi-game cabinet from something that's basically already trashed, then there's no reason why anyone should care if you're using a flat screen display. For my Super PacMan... I bought it as a multi-cade. Everything had been completely stripped from it. The coin door had NOTHING installed on the inside. It was missing the coin tray, and all the guts. It didn't have the graphics on it, or anything else. It was just configured as a generic. I bought all the parts and re-assembled it, and then bought new Super PacMan graphics and installed them. But still... it already had a flat screen, so it was no big deal. Honestly... it's way better than a CRT anyway.

IMG_4900.thumb.JPG.289d1dc8668e9aa569b9058e7641d36a.JPG

• Like 2

@82-T/A Ooh i like that.  And I more or less agree if it's a massacre or a true survivor you really need to go one way or the other and not be some mental patient like the mockery of the pcmasterrace type stuff with the nose in the air about stuff being rude.  It's a bit STFU mind your own damn  business moment either if someone asks for X and you demand Y because you know better...yeah...no.  My MVS aside from the CRT having a small problem on the top/bottom corner areas are on point, recapped, and everything else solid including a coin cell battery replacement piece before it had a chance to rot through.  Aside from a replacement CFL in the marquee unless it came that way and didn't have EL panel installed it's all stock, original, and 8.5/10 quality or so with a low use counter to boot.  I swore if the CRT ever choked I'd find some way to put as large as financially responsible LCD in there instead but it's impossible last I looked (5yrs back) to get anything over 19.5" and not pay like a $1000 for whatever bs reason there is for that price and what I have is a 25" so it would get weird and small.  Just as with a survivor Game Gear I got last year for cheap, all original, launch system, not a drop or sniff of fishiness, runs like brand new somehow and I had intended to LCD update it until I saw that.

The flat panels are way better.  You have this crystal clear image of the graphics as they saw them making the things on their workstations.  In the case of a multi-game or a MVS multiple-cart style setup you end up having each unique game always displaying visuals a bit different.  Different display modes, tolerances, draw distance to the extreme sides.  It's aggravating no matter how much you tweak it, you go between like Bust a Move Again and then Samurai Shodown III and either one or the other has the far left/right part of some score number or edge of the life bar just off the view space and it sucks.  But, run that game through a LCD, problem goes away as they're rock solid.  I'd prefer that stability.  If I knew someone in town to be fair, I'd make a deal with them, take my 25" wells n gardner you can have it, if you setup the largest possible LCD in there with the PCB needed to convert the signal and we're good, as I know people adore and desire the things, I just don't.

17 hours ago, 82-T/A said:

Yeah, the "hate" for flat-screen monitors is a bit much. I think generally, if you're restoring an arcade machine, you should probably use a CRT if you can. But if you're building a generic multi-game cabinet from something that's basically already trashed, then there's no reason why anyone should care if you're using a flat screen display. For my Super PacMan... I bought it as a multi-cade. Everything had been completely stripped from it. The coin door had NOTHING installed on the inside. It was missing the coin tray, and all the guts. It didn't have the graphics on it, or anything else. It was just configured as a generic. I bought all the parts and re-assembled it, and then bought new Super PacMan graphics and installed them. But still... it already had a flat screen, so it was no big deal. Honestly... it's way better than a CRT anyway.

IMG_4900.thumb.JPG.289d1dc8668e9aa569b9058e7641d36a.JPG

I have the Mortal Kombat Arcade 1-up with MKII artwork, including Raiden throwing lightning on the side and 12 games on it. It's got a 17-inch flat screen display and I love it. It's a nice crisp display and all of the games look gorgeous on it. I know some people think games designed for a CRT only look good on a CRT, and I'd never tell anyone they're wrong, but I think a well done modern flat screen that does a great job of displaying the games is the way to go. It also probably weighs about 1/50th the weight of a CRT in the same size, which was nice to me back when I put the machine together and whenever I have to move it.

Incidentally, I love your lineup of machines there and the boss Darth Vader statue you have next to them.

• Thanks 1

I swear despite the fact I don't think it does I find the Neo Geo 25" CRT inside is heavier than the Pinbot pinball table I had years back.  It maybe the upright top heavy nature of it or whatever but argh I hate moving it.  I got some of thsoe 6" circular slip plates and put them under each foot so I can shove it if needed.

• Like 1

Nowadays I don't play anything except if it's on my PCs with emulators.

But I have a house full of retro computers, systems, and games.

Now it's at the point that selling everything seems like it would become a nightmare, just due to logistics, not to mention the new IRS/Paypal rules.  I feel like I'm trapped to having a house full of stuff!

• Sad 1

I feel that.  When I thought the last couple of years when it would be 600 that first one I had a shop (that since won't do it) would pay 60%+ on stuff so I'd dump it there and got paid as well as what I would after all the shitty taxes that would have dropped had the 600 limit hit so I have no regrets given it was only lifted 48hours before the new year.  Last year at least they warned around black friday so I started to get rid of more excess, and this year its 5000 which may be the last of it, or given the work being done may just stay there.  With that I've offloaded nearly all my gamecube stuff so far and a few toys.

It's not that bad if you just take a few hours and run some pictures with your phone, make a basic template you can modify as needed on your computer to paste into the box on ebay (or elsewhere) and bang out new items every 5min give or take.  Set a cap of like 20-30 and as it gets down to some lower level, up a few more.  

On 1/26/2024 at 12:19 AM, thanatos said:

Nowadays I don't play anything except if it's on my PCs with emulators.

But I have a house full of retro computers, systems, and games.

Now it's at the point that selling everything seems like it would become a nightmare, just due to logistics, not to mention the new IRS/Paypal rules.  I feel like I'm trapped to having a house full of stuff!

I can identify there, I have about 14 bikes and the thought of shipping alone makes me cringe when I think of selling it of.

On 1/26/2024 at 12:41 AM, Tanooki said:

I feel that.  When I thought the last couple of years when it would be 600 that first one I had a shop (that since won't do it) would pay 60%+ on stuff so I'd dump it there and got paid as well as what I would after all the shitty taxes that would have dropped had the 600 limit hit so I have no regrets given it was only lifted 48hours before the new year.  Last year at least they warned around black friday so I started to get rid of more excess, and this year its 5000 which may be the last of it, or given the work being done may just stay there.  With that I've offloaded nearly all my gamecube stuff so far and a few toys.

It's not that bad if you just take a few hours and run some pictures with your phone, make a basic template you can modify as needed on your computer to paste into the box on ebay (or elsewhere) and bang out new items every 5min give or take.  Set a cap of like 20-30 and as it gets down to some lower level, up a few more.  

The IRS rules flat out suck.  It's an issue the old BMX market is dealing with as well, especially since how many of us saved receipts from 40 year old bikes/parts and there's no way otherwise to prove the actual value of something for tax purposes

@ABA180 Yup, that's about it.  No one in their right mind unless they had some weird archival reason to do it as a kid (which I did for nintendo based receipts up through N64/GBC strangely) it just wasn't done.  They know it too, so they can easily try and argue with you about if you had it from 40 years or 40 week or 40 days ago... no receipt, they can come up with some BS value and try and tax you for it which feels very illegal since they're just going to presume you're a thief basically.  It's why I ducked out and went to the far more aggravating cash and local only bit unless someone was trusting enough to F&F a payment (rare) and I never burned anyone on it either that's that's a big ask.

I'll say this much they at ebay are liars and thieves with their forward facing pile of crap about taking like about 15%.

I'll be transparent and break this down as I'm mostly through getting rid of stuff, so I can slow up on this pretty quickly next month thankfully to an as-needed thing.

Total sales (Includes taxes)  $1,644.55

Taxes and fees
$0.00 - Collected by seller
$109.51 - Collected by eBay

Selling costs
$402.50 (24.5% of your total sales)

Net sales (Net of taxes and selling costs)
$1,132.54

So if I'm reading this right, they're collecting tax from the buyers, pocketing it, then also charging me tax too.

Because roughly speaking 1600-1100 = 500.  And 400 + 100 is that 500.

That's pretty damn filthy.

In the end, there is no 15% and 24.5% is bs too, they're taking 33% because I'm being punished for collected state tax and having me pay for everything.

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@ABA180 Yup, that's about it.  No one in their right mind unless they had some weird archival reason to do it as a kid (which I did for nintendo based receipts up through N64/GBC strangely) it just wasn't done.  They know it too, so they can easily try and argue with you about if you had it from 40 years or 40 week or 40 days ago... no receipt, they can come up with some BS value and try and tax you for it which feels very illegal since they're just going to presume you're a thief basically.  It's why I ducked out and went to the far more aggravating cash and local only bit unless someone was trusting enough to F&F a payment (rare) and I never burned anyone on it either that's that's a big ask.

I'll say this much they at ebay are liars and thieves with their forward facing pile of crap about taking like about 15%.

I'll be transparent and break this down as I'm mostly through getting rid of stuff, so I can slow up on this pretty quickly next month thankfully to an as-needed thing.

Total sales (Includes taxes)  $1,644.55

Taxes and fees
$0.00 - Collected by seller
$109.51 - Collected by eBay

Selling costs
$402.50 (24.5% of your total sales)

Net sales (Net of taxes and selling costs)
$1,132.54

So if I'm reading this right, they're collecting tax from the buyers, pocketing it, then also charging me tax too.

Because roughly speaking 1600-1100 = 500.  And 400 + 100 is that 500.

That's pretty damn filthy.

In the end, there is no 15% and 24.5% is bs too, they're taking 33% because I'm being punished for collected state tax and having me pay for everything.

It's one thing if someone still has the receipt from their system 40 years ago, though you wonder if that's not faded by now.  Even at that who saved each game receipt?

I know I still had the paperwork buying my 1986 Schwinn because it was handwritten as well as the payments on layaway which was about $225 back then.  I didn't save the receipt for a $12 part that (if I still had it) is worth several hundred now.  

Even looking for comparables I bet would be shot down.  Odds are they'll do it the way MA does vehicle transfer since 1992.  You pay sales tax based on the amount paid or Blue Book, whichever is higher, unless bought from a dealer.  

I bought many cars at auctions as a teenager and onward, partially because I couldn't afford any other method and maybe to make a little money on a project.  My Camaro, bought from a government auction for $700, booked at $2200.  They claim it's to stop people from fudging the sale price.  I argued it (to no avail) stating I'm sure the government isn't going to falsify the sale price.  The clerk took a look at it, said "oh you're gonna get whacked on sales tax aren't you" and chuckled.  I looked right back and said "sure am, and I'm pissed off about it anyway before you laughed about it.  But I can't do anything about it despite the reason you gave me being invalid.  Take my money, get me my paperwork, and shut your face".  Didn't make a new friend but I was right.  

Only other option is maybe a money order, YMMV on that method of course but I know long before I had credit cards I used that to pay for Ebay stuff.  Quite a few big sellers on the BMX pages I frequent are doing that as well.

I used money orders too for years until paypal became more or less ebay standard/forced/trusted enough.  They're fairly much harder to get now than ever before, very likely on purpose due to the lack of ability to track that vs other digital means.  I just went back to cash, and if someone doesn't like it, buy from someone else. :)

On 1/29/2024 at 10:43 PM, Tanooki said:

I used money orders too for years until paypal became more or less ebay standard/forced/trusted enough.  They're fairly much harder to get now than ever before, very likely on purpose due to the lack of ability to track that vs other digital means.  I just went back to cash, and if someone doesn't like it, buy from someone else. :)

Pretty simple, or the FF Paypal route. I'm willing to do that if I have done business before with a seller or solid feedback (and lots of it).  I did a FF for some bike parts the other day that my friends had used before so I did it and got the stuff immediately