IGNORED

7th Annual Fall Knockout Tourney - Round 8 - Antarctic Adventure

image.jpeg.74a01827aaac0599431c9b7835e85de2.jpeg

HIGH SCORE CLUB

7th Annual Fall Knockout Tournament

Round 8 - Championship Round

CentipedeFan vs Colecovision

image.jpeg.6a604ee9a8620b25cf308e982cdfaed8.jpegAntarctic Adventure for Colecovision Box Artimage.png.89fb31a57f2c6abee23441542dc177ce.png

Game Information

Game Name: Antarctic Adventure

Released by: Arcade: Konami 1983. CV: Coleco 1984.

Settings: Turn it on and play - 1 Player.

CV HSC High Score1 Player: 721,150 Bmack36 (2020 Fall KO Tourney).

Manual: http://adamarchive.org/archive/Manuals/ColecoVision/Antarctic Adventure (Poster).pdf

Round Ends:  Sunday December 17th at 8pm (PST) 11pm (EST)

Rules are simple. After each round ends, the player with the lowest score is eliminated and we continue playing rounds until one individual remains atop the carnage. Having the top score isn't necessary yet, just try not to have the lowest score. Good Luck!

ColecoVision Platform Theme Video - Platform Theme Videos - LaunchBox  Community Forums

Good Luck!

Final Antarctic Adventure Scores

1)377,100 Colecovision - WINNER

2)174,050 CentipedeFan ELIMINATED

The Players

CentipedeFan 

Colecovision

ed1475                      (ELIMINATED Round 1)

ctelkin19                   (ELIMINATED Round 2)

fakecortex                 (ELIMINATED Round 3)

jblenkle                     (ELIMINATED Round 4)

DuggerVideoGames  (ELIMINATED Round 5)

Northcoastgamer      (ELIMINATED Round 6)

Mikey50                     (ELIMINATED Round 7)

antarctic-adventure-1984.rom

Edited by Northcoastgamer
Final Score Update

3 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Don't do ANYTHING special to get points.

Gonna be hard to get a high score if I don't get points....seeing as how that's the metric that decides who wins.  On a serious note Ive tried not collecting a single flag or fish during a leg and it yielded no special bonus.  It's not Bump N Jump apparently.  Grabbing all the points you can on a leg seems like the way to go, maybe I'm missing something.  I'm not familiar with this game or it's tricks.  This was likely a bad pull for me as I can barely get a fraction of the current HS.  Maybe that will improve over the course of the next 2 weeks.  We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, CentipedeFan said:

Gonna be hard to get a high score if I don't get points....seeing as how that's the metric that decides who wins.  On a serious note Ive tried not collecting a single flag or fish during a leg and it yielded no special bonus.  It's not Bump N Jump apparently.  Grabbing all the points you can on a leg seems like the way to go, maybe I'm missing something.  I'm not familiar with this game or it's tricks.  This was likely a bad pull for me as I can barely get a fraction of the current HS.  Maybe that will improve over the course of the next 2 weeks.  We shall see.

No, I'm saying-take the points you can get, focusing on finishing the levels. If you don't get to the end, the game is over.

So "speedrun" it, get level after level complete, and the points will come.

Again, NOT good, but I'm not really a Coleco dude, and it was my third or fourth time ever playing the game-

225,850 seemed like a pretty good score to me, haha, is the TG W/R. 

(Stop laughing, dammit...).

:D

Another thing...

Use a CX-40 or something. Holding up the whole time on that disc(you know that, I know), is a bitch.

4 hours ago, CentipedeFan said:

Unless I missed the rule where you add a zero to the end of your score then I think I'm in trouble.  Judging by what Ive played and watched of the game so far, a score of 200k is about a 2 hour game.

Mine was 54 minutes, 54 seconds for the whole vid.

Just try to make making it all the way around the course your goal, then try to do it again! 

Forget those silly fish, if you get them, good, if not, no worries!

2 hours ago, Rogerpoco said:

Just try to make making it all the way around the course your goal, then try to do it again!

Are there any point increases for completing multiple circuits?  Ive scored as many points going for nothing but fish and flags and timing out before completing the first circuit than I do speedrunning for completion.   4 flags is worth 20 seconds of end time bonus.  That's huge in terms of maximum point potential.  That end time bonus is pretty nominal if you can capture even a few pickups during the run.  I think the key will be a fine balance between speedrunning the course and picking up drops.  Leg 8 is where I really struggle.  I almost always tank my game on this stage, even just trying to fly through it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CentipedeFan said:

Are there any point increases for completing multiple circuits?  Ive scored as many points going for nothing but fish and flags and timing out before completing the first circuit than I do speedrunning for completion.   4 flags is worth 20 seconds of end time bonus.  That's huge in terms of maximum point potential.  That end time bonus is pretty nominal if you can capture even a few pickups during the run.  I think the key will be a fine balance between speedrunning the course and picking up drops.  Leg 8 is where I really struggle.  I almost always tank my game on this stage, even just trying to fly through it. 

OK-

I may have been confusing, I've even confused myself.

Yes, get the flags, best you can-over time, figure out which ones you can and can't-

I wasn't really thinking about that as "points", as stupid as it is, as much as the flags were the "proper route".

So, ya, grab the flags if possible, but do NOT go out of the way to get the jumping fish.

TERRIBLY sorry about that, hope the clarification helps!!!

I don't think the scoring rate increases. I'll try to check that later.

Edited by Rogerpoco
  • Like 1

I felt this was a monumental effort built on multiple failures, so it's clear I'm completely out of my league on this game.  I just can't seem to "get it".  Had this title been the first game of the comp, I may have very well been eliminated in round 1.  Given how wide the gulf is and how long a game would need to be played in order to win, this will probably be my only submission.  I may give it a few more attempts between now and next weekend and pray for a miracle but I think you have probably crowned your champ.  Nice game, Colecovision.  Maybe in the next final I'll draw a better game ;).

AA84320.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

After 150,000 the game get a lot easier. With practice you get to the next level of skill. Once you get how to time your jumps your brain take over it's not that hard anymore. You can also alternate between jumping and avoiding the holes like in a racing game to get more flags and fish.

Edited by Colecovision
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Colecovision said:

After 150,000 the game get a lot easier. With practice you get to the next level of skill. Once you get how to time your jumps your brain take over it's not that hard anymore. You can also alternate between jumping and avoiding the holes like in a racing game to get more flags and fish.

"Racing Game", there ya go, that's what I was saying.

Great score, 300+k, BTW, HSC high score or not, still, well played!!!

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 6:35 PM, CentipedeFan said:

I felt this was a monumental effort built on multiple failures, so it's clear I'm completely out of my league on this game.  I just can't seem to "get it".  Had this title been the first game of the comp, I may have very well been eliminated in round 1.  Given how wide the gulf is and how long a game would need to be played in order to win, this will probably be my only submission.  I may give it a few more attempts between now and next weekend and pray for a miracle but I think you have probably crowned your champ.  Nice game, Colecovision.  Maybe in the next final I'll draw a better game ;).

That's why this is a two week final. You still have time to improve your game. Both of you guys were giving up early, come on now. As has been stated, don't worry about the flags and fish so much. Be more concerned with the walrus and jumping over two ice crevasses when necessary. Time is not on your side. You want to be as clean as possible for each run with minimal mistakes. Practice, practice, practice....... 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CentipedeFan said:

I never said I was giving up.  I said I need a miracle.  I just don't have 2 and 3 hour bocks of time in my day to better these scores.  I can play often in short bursts or rarely in long.

Duly noted. You have doubled your score already, nicely done!

• Like 1

I know this doesn't actually add to the conversation, strategy wise, but something that helped me on this game was that I actually really liked it.

Strokes and folks, I do all kinds of stuff(actually have the legit MAME Burgertime W/R), but as I played more and more, I gravitated towards timed games more than points games.

In particular, if something is "shooting down" at me, expect me to suck at it, which is a LOT of games...

:P

So I kinda consider myself a "speedrunner", of old assed games, haha. 

That causes me to look at games that have timers, but also other strategies, and simply see them as "complete waves quickly".

In the 2600 HSC, few years ago, we had a Homebrew, sold here, Doggone It!(I'm on the back of the box, haha! Ridiculous!).

Certainly had to figure out a few other things, effective use of random power ups, etc, and then I just started speedrunning it, trying to nip corners like Adventure, on 2600, wound up with a whopper of a score.

Ya, like @Colecovision was sorta saying, you'll eventually actually memorize what to do after playing a few times. 

I prolly underexaggerated my attempts on the game, I kinda lose track of time/attempts when I'm zoned in.

Congratulations to Colecovision our winner of the 7th annual Fall KO Tourney! Kudos to CentipedeFan as well for some impressive scores on the way to the finals! Big thanks to everyone that participated in the tourney and Season 16, it is truly appreciated, Thank You! The Monthly Gaming Alternative will return in January and Season 17 will commence late March early April of 2024. I hope everyone has a great holiday and gets the games from Santa that they wanted, Happy Gaming!

• Like 3