IGNORED

Does anybody know anything about this set of controllers?

vintagegamecrazy

My friend owns a video game store and we were digging through his warehouse and we found this pair of TI controllers. The color scheme is completely different and we can't seem to find any info on them. The model number is identical to the standard TI joysticks. If anybody can shed any light on these it would be appreciated.

IMG20231206130812.jpg

Not a special edition at all. TI made four separate variants of their Joysticks, three of which use the same form factor as the set you picture here. These were the first of the three types using the form factor, with them switching to the orange button on a black base about a year later. Prototypes exist of the last form, which had purple fire buttons and a beige case like the later consoles did. Only the beige variant is rare (I know of about a dozen or so sets of them in the wild, one of which is part of my collection). The black button style is not as common as the orange button type, but you can turn up both of them relatively easily on eBay.

The fourth joystick type is very different from these, and relatively uncommon even though it is the original TI joystick. These are the true TI Pain Sticks, as the ball at the top will start eating into the flesh of your hand after 20 minutes or so of use (painful experience speaking here from playing TI Invaders with them as a young man).

Here is a link to a site with pictures of all three variants other than yours.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I know of people who put their thumb on top of the lever of the TI controller, which did cause some pain, up to blisters.

Me, I always used to hold the lever between thumb and index finger of the right hand, while holding the joystick body in the left hand, pushing the button with the left thumb.

It was not *that* painful in my memories, in fact. The problem rather was that they wore out and stopped working after some time.

Edit: lever, not level. (Brain-internal autocorrection failed.)

22 hours ago, Ksarul said:

I have been wanting a pair of the beige and blue for a long time.

5 hours ago, retrodroid said:

...and all of them have the distinction of being perhaps the most uncomfortable controllers ever produced. 😱 

Urban legend.

2 hours ago, mizapf said:

I know of people who put their thumb on top of the level of the TI controller, which did cause some pain, up to blisters.

But, why??

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Broke three sets of them.  They were the same style as in your picture.  Never had the pain or blisters but kept breaking the stick staff.  The local TI repair centre replaced all three of them at no charge.  The last set the mylar contact wore out and was put in storage to never be repaired.  Got two Wico TI adapters and a collection of Atari joysticks.  Also have a collection of non-TI branded joysticks for my TI-99/4A.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2023 at 4:59 PM, vintagegamecrazy said:

My friend owns a video game store and we were digging through his warehouse and we found this pair of TI controllers. The color scheme is completely different and we can't seem to find any info on them. The model number is identical to the standard TI joysticks. If anybody can shed any light on these it would be appreciated.

IMG20231206130812.jpg

I just threw these exact ones in the garbage last week. They were broken. There's lots to love about the TI. Joysticks don't easily make the list. 

• Like 1