IGNORED

Collecting for the 2600+

Brad_from_the_80s

As far as Pinball,   Yeah we have Baby PacMan, which I think of as Half Pinball...I don't really put Jinks there,  as it's more like a mad scientist laboratory crossed with a shooting gallery visually,  but with scrolling Breakout gameplay...Kind of.

I really wish someone would homebrew a Pinball game for 7800!   I mean,  in case @PacManPlus is reading this and (Genius that he is) thinking he could start with what he did in Baby Pac,  then change the layout,  number of balls, add some stuff,  maybe targets,  things that spin, fireworks,  lanes that take the ball to new places...And just add,   umm whatever you like (Dragons, castles, LASERS, haunted houses, black holes, other dimensions, ninjas, ghosts, spaceships, volcanoes,... anything really!)    HMMmmmm...Just throwing it out there...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GoldLeader said:

From previous and sometimes Long discussions here on AtariAge.   I may be one of 4 people who like it,  but JINKS IS AWESOME!  It's original and comes off as a 7800 Game.  And what I mean by that is it seems like a long lost 2600 game,  complete with weirdness and intrigue,  (Show me another game that looks like it), but more advanced on every level...Hard to explain or justify perhaps,  But I care not.  It has different color palettes for the different levels,  Remember when games did that?  (Akin to music when songs of older days would transpose the notes to add more emphasis after the solo,etc.) It has a very unique art style...Too advanced to be a 2600 game,  yet looks nothing like an NES game.  I wish there were a dozen more games like this.   Also every review seems to miss what makes the game special.  It'd be like reading a review of Star Wars that doesn't mention the Special FX, the cohesive look of the film, or the Sound FX.  I think,  because of the NES perhaps, that people get hung up on beating a game or wanting a plot, or characters that make sense...You don't need any of that!  As long as you're having fun while playing it!  If nothing else Jinks is Unique.

Cheers!

I also like being in the minority, heck I even love the 7800 Pro-line controller.

I'm gonna give this game a go. It's an inexpensive game to get CIB also.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, shane857 said:

I also like being in the minority, heck I even love the 7800 Pro-line controller.

Yeah,  if nothing else,  it won't  break the bank.  Grab a copy,  kick back with a beer,  and enjoy!  If you don't like it,  at least you didn't spend too much...

(One more thing,   IIRC,  your onscreen character is a PADDLE.   Now,  how do you control a PADDLE?  With a JOYSTICK of course!...I imagine the author of this game laughing maniacally as if he just told a joke that no one gets.)

1 minute ago, shane857 said:

It is! My copy is CIB and it wasn't expensive, just under £11 including postage.

It's definitely worth playing, I always enjoy unique games even if they are not super polished they can still be interesting and enjoyable to play. Go for it! 

• Like 2

I finally picked up the physical version of Alien Abduction; I also have it on the VCS800, but playing it with the CX40 is a much easier experience.  Also, the levels seem slightly different, with more power-ups.  Although I might be wrong, I'll check the VCS version.  I am aware the cartridge has 20 levels vs. the 15(?) on the VCS800.  You'll have to excuse me, I need to work on earning my patch.

image.thumb.jpeg.90c2a578424d76cdb4e79d384b9a948b.jpeg 

• Like 6

On 8/6/2024 at 7:26 AM, JetmanUK said:

My CX24 finally arrived today. Here it is just before I cleaned it up. 

IMG_20240806_120312.thumb.jpg.973483aeb5b2b2cd3d63896e85ead986.jpg

I just tested it by playing some Missile Command, I have to say that the stick was very responsive. 

Some questions:

IMG_20240806_120318.thumb.jpg.c58a3f252f83aee5a9e6482318efaded.jpg

Are the inner wires supposed to be exposed in the strain relief grommet here? You would usually see the black outer shielding go all the way inside the controller. I can possibly take this apart and move it inside if they are not all like this. 

The top of the stick.

IMG_20240806_120334.thumb.jpg.89e0f267e19d8b484dbfe4ac34cffe7e.jpg

It just lifts off easily. Is this supposed to happen? If not I can glue it on, or would that restrict taking it apart later? Or some blue tack in there might help. It spins round, but not enough to cause an issue. I could ignore it. 

The actual shaft of the stick.

IMG_20240806_120347.thumb.jpg.d111f8e750a2b91e5580e031f76d4224.jpg

This also spins round, is this normal?

Anyway, all these things aside I was impressed by the responsiveness of the joystick...But I can definitely see why having my left palm basically pointing to ths sky to hold the body of the joystick whilst simultaneously pressing fire buttons could cause extreme hand cramps. I have not played long enough to get them yet, but I can absolutely believe it would happen as it's such an unnatural way to hold your arm for extended periods. 

All round though, again I was surprised by the responsiveness and I'll try it out further. The jury is still out for me though. 

@JetmanUK Check it out! CX30 Evolved Paddles

IMG_2207.jpeg

Edited by MrChickenz
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, GoldLeader said:

I really wish someone would homebrew a Pinball game for 7800!   I mean,  in case @PacManPlus is reading this and (Genius that he is) thinking he could start with what he did in Baby Pac,  then change the layout,  number of balls, add some stuff,  maybe targets,  things that spin, fireworks,  lanes that take the ball to new places...And just add,   umm whatever you like (Dragons, castles, LASERS, haunted houses, black holes, other dimensions, ninjas, ghosts, spaceships, volcanoes,... anything really!)    HMMmmmm...Just throwing it out there...

That would be awesome.  Also, I like your ideas for the game.  Maybe one day a cool pinball homebrew will come out for the 7800.  

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bitsized said:

I finally picked up the physical version of Alien Abduction; I also have it on the VCS800, but playing it with the CX40 is a much easier experience.  Also, the levels seem slightly different, with more power-ups.  Although I might be wrong, I'll check the VCS version.  I am aware the cartridge has 20 levels vs. the 15(?) on the VCS800.  You'll have to excuse me, I need to work on earning my patch.

The VCS 800 version has 20 levels. The cartridge release has more. I have no idea if they changed any of the 20 levels at all.

21 hours ago, Bitsized said:

Cool Artwork. I've heard it's the spiritual successor to H.E.R.O?

I finally picked up Double Dragon 7800, but it doesn't work on the 2600+. It works on my 7800 original console though. Wow, that's some terrible collision detection and that music..ugh. 

But anyway, looking for ideas on why it doesn't work on the 2600+ -- it says "loading game" and just gives me a black screen. (if this is the wrong thread, please advise where I should post). Thank you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IcedCornholio said:

I finally picked up Double Dragon 7800, but it doesn't work on the 2600+. It works on my 7800 original console though. Wow, that's some terrible collision detection and that music..ugh. 

But anyway, looking for ideas on why it doesn't work on the 2600+ -- it says "loading game" and just gives me a black screen. (if this is the wrong thread, please advise where I should post). Thank you. 

I believe the two Activision 7800 games, Double Dragon and Rampage, do not work on a stock 2600+.

2 hours ago, IcedCornholio said:

What firmware and dumper are you running?

On 9/21/2024 at 6:25 PM, Dr Karnov said:

Great game 

IMG_20240921_232410270_HDR.jpg

Not heard of this one before. Nice get!

———-

Maybe you guys can help me out: so I’ve been building a collection of old games I enjoy over the last year and a half, and I think I’ve gotten most of the games I care to get as far as previously released games go. I want to start getting homebrew games, but I don’t know which ones work on the 2600+ and which don’t…

Is it just the champ games carts that don’t work?

What are some good recent games to start with? Like which ones should be a part of everyone’s collection?

I just ordered Circus Convoy, so I guess that’s the first one.

Edited by vagabondartist
Added new conversation points

5 hours ago, vagabondartist said:

Not heard of this one before. Nice get!

———-

Maybe you guys can help me out: so I’ve been building a collection of old games I enjoy over the last year and a half, and I think I’ve gotten most of the games I care to get as far as previously released games go. I want to start getting homebrew games, but I don’t know which ones work on the 2600+ and which don’t…

Is it just the champ games carts that don’t work?

What are some good recent games to start with? Like which ones should be a part of everyone’s collection?

I just ordered Circus Convoy, so I guess that’s the first one.

Atari are starting to officially release games that were previously considered "homebrew" (like Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, Frenzy etc) so it might be worth waiting to see what gets announced before paying out big money for homebrew 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

Atari are starting to officially release games that were previously considered "homebrew" (like Bentley Bear's Crystal Quest, Frenzy etc) so it might be worth waiting to see what gets announced before paying out big money for homebrew 

I did order the 7800+ so I’m getting BBCQ

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Dr Karnov said:

I'm curious what else Atari will release for homebrews.