IGNORED

Can someone tell me what the deal is with Warhammer?

82-T/A

Never played it, I think... but I'm seeing really good deals for a ton of games on GoG right now.

I THINK I played a Warhammer game many years ago on my 386. You'd randomly dock with some space ship, and in a turn-style based game, you would either be one of three teams (I think) that could go out and attack a bunch of aliens on a ship and clear them out. There were red guys, which I guess where Hells Angels... ok, just looked it up, they were Blood Angels. This is the game:

Man that game looks shitty now.

Anyway, there are apparently dozens of Warhammer games on GoG and some of them are insanely cheap. What's worth playing, what is the story behind all of this. These guys are space marines? I guess it's also a book and dice game?

Yeah, I think if someone really tried to break it down, you'd be reading a post about the length of War and Peace.  Warhammer is -- boardgames (pen n paper and strategy), video games, there are shooters, rts, turned based strategy, Hack n Slash,  Fantasy (LOTR Style) Futuristic Sci-Fi (smace marines you mentioned), even a Turn Based "football" type of thing that's actually quite amazing.  It's pretty vast.

As far as Video games go, some are ok.  Some are really good.  These 3 are pretty amazing in my opinion --

Total War: Warhammer 2.   (strategy)  -- The "Total War" series is excellent as is.  But what they've done with the Warhammer license was amazing.

Warhammer: Vermintide 2  (Hack n Slash)  -- so this one took the Left 4 Dead formula, plopped it into the Warhammer universe, and it's great.  Can play solo, but best if you bring some friends and you've got a incredible game loop with tons of replay value.

Blood Bowl 2  (turn based video boardgame) -- this one sounds stupid to try to describe it, but if I compiled a list of my top 3 "desert island games," this would absolutely be one of them.  Its Warhammer's version of football with Humans, Orcs, Elves, Mages, etc, only played turn based as if you're playing a boardgame.  But yep, it just works.  One of my all time favorites.   Part 1 is good.  Part 3 is a bit of a turd.  But part 2 was pretty much perfect.

These are pretty big time sinks, though, and from some of your previous comments, I've gotten the impression that you didn't really care to invest a lot of time into "super nerdy" stuff and perhaps prefer games that are more "quick pick up n' play."  So many of these - definitely the 3 I mentioned - might not be your cup of tea.

• Like 2

War and Peace sounds about right. The franchise has been evolving for about 40 years with pen & paper rpgs, tabletop miniature war games (still popular at my local comic shop), collectible card games, books, comics, and videogames. There's Warhammer (medieval fantasy), Warhammer 40k (sci-fi), Space Hulk, and other spin-offs.

This wiki lists the videogames and their genres:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Games_Workshop_video_games

A couple of my favorites:

Space Hulk: Vengeance of the Blood Angels is a first person squad based strategy game. Graphics are dated but still offers great gameplay and tense atmosphere.

Warhammer 40k: Space Marines is a fun pick up and play third person shooter. No strategy, just a space marine thrown into war zone after war zone.

Warhammer games vary so much in gameplay and quality that you really have to check videos/reviews for each to see which ones you might like...

Edited by boog
  • Like 2

So warhammer is a series of miniature wargames that steal at least a thousand dollars and hundreds of hours from each player. They like to sell the rule books by race, so to make sure the guy(s) you're playing against aren't cheating, you have to sit down and read their stupid rulebooks too. By the time that's done, everybody's too drunk to play anything, which makes it N64 Goldeneye time. 

At least that was my experience. YMMV.

Then the next time there's a balance revision, nobody can field half their $1000+ armies, so your friends all switch from Fantasy to stupid 40k, because they'll never learn.

Oh and the video games are all incredibly awful except this one 'Epic 40k' random huge battle game.  That was pretty sweet but is only recommended to those who can appreciate how much that would cost to run on the table in terms of money, time and paint (even at epic-scale).

Space Hulk Tactics was the last I can recall playing and was especially unredeemable. The voice work was both persistent and awful--I assume it was made by placing a microphone at the bottom of an empty toilet. It's only for gamers who felt the xcom reboots moved WAY too quickly and competently. For a challenge, follow the link and see how much of that guy's turn you can sit through.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Oh and the video games are all incredibly awful except this one 'Epic 40k' random huge battle game.  

No No No GIF

They're all over the place, for sure, but not even close to being "all incredibly awful."  There's actually some greatness in the mix.  The newest one (Rogue Trader) is getting scored "good" to "great" by most reviewers, if you'd like a "Baldur's Gate" type of game.  I've not played it personally, but figure I'll give it a shot at some point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The problem with the games is that, except for the Space Hulk games, most tend to stray away from the original tabletop game, probably because Games Workshop fears they might compete with it. That being said, the recent Warhammer 40,000: Battlesector (2021) seems very close (I'm not sure since I stopped playing soon after the 1998 third edition), but I have yet to try it. The problem is it's often on sale, but not its DLCs and the base game only offers two armies. The latest I played is Chaosgate which is a decent X-COM clone, but it's not exactly WH40K then.

• Like 2

On 12/13/2023 at 7:16 PM, 82-T/A said:

Man that game looks shitty now.

It was shitty then.  Space Crusade, the board game, was a cross-branded game between Games Workshop and Milton Bradley, similar to the more well-known HeroQuest.  It was meant as an introductory game to get young kids into the Warhammer 40k brand.  Had a lot of neat pieces, but insipid gameplay.  Why anyone thought there needed to be a slow and plodding computerized version, I could not say, but that one is particularly bad even relative to the overall mediocre selection.

What's worth playing...

This is almost impossible to answer.  If you're not already initiated into the "lore" or whatever, it's hard to say if any of it is.  Space Hulk Tactics is the computerized version of the Space Hulk board game, which is not my cup of tea (mostly due to having it forced on me as a kid by my dad) is a legitimately good tactical strategy game.  Blood Bowl is as well.

Most of the other Warhammer stuff is mediocre.  Both the tabletop stuff and the video games.  Games Workshop just happened to be head and shoulders above all their competition wrt illustration, art direction, modeling, etc.  Less so that way now, but in the 80s and 90s, forget it.  For that reason, they've gotten by on putting out many janky and busted games over the years, though some of their 80s board games that are only tangentially related to Warhammer are great fun.

...what is the story behind all of this. These guys are space marines?

Yes, though they're more like Space Templars, or maybe Nietzschean Space Templars.  The story is a great big pastiche of every popular sci-fi property, Dune, Aliens, Starship Troopers, with some High Fantasy grafted in (i.e. thinly veiled historical/folk references), under a heavy Gothic gloss.  It's all very silly, but it all looks very cool and badass.

I guess it's also a book and dice game?

It's a tabletop miniatures game, primarily, but there have been dozens and dozens of games going back to the 80s.  They are almost all expensive, and most are not all that good.

Space Hulk Death Angel: The Card Game can be had for relatively cheap, and it does a decent job of distilling SH down into a card game.  Co-op, so maybe the family would enjoy it. 

• Like 1

I just want you guys to know that I really appreciate all the responses (I mean that). I'm reading them... and will probably reply tomorrow. Just trying to think about what I want to ask... I've got several games, never played the tabletop game... but I always got it mixed up with Mech Warrior sometimes, which I know doesn't have the marines. Thanks!

Ok, so I just played the game, "Warhammer 40,000 - Space Marines" and I have to say, it's actually pretty awesome. The graphics and game mechanics were pretty decent. I was kind of curious, because even though the game played really well... and I had it set at 3440x1440 resolution, I still wondered if the game was maybe a little bit older. So I checked out the date... 2011. Unbelievable... that was 12-13 years ago... and the graphics were still that decent?

I bought a bunch of these games... but this is pretty decent. I probably picked one of the older ones... but still fun.

• 2 weeks later...

I won the game Warhammer 40k: Boltgun for the Switch at ejagfest, first time I ever play a game related to this universe but I must say I love the game!

Great atmosphere and gameplay, though it has nothing to do with all the strategic games out there.