IGNORED

Unit doesn't seem to work

Velvis

I received mine a few weeks back but tonight was the first time I tried to use it.

1) Plugging in just the hdmi cable lights the Atari logo. Seems weird, I didn't realize hdmi carried any sort of power. 

2) Plugging the unit in and turning on the power switch does nothing. Screen stays black. 

Both the power and hdmi cable are used for other various mini systems without issue. 

Any ideas what might be going on? 

4 minutes ago, Velvis said:

I received mine a few weeks back but tonight was the first time I tried to use it.

1) Plugging in just the hdmi cable lights the Atari logo. Seems weird, I didn't realize hdmi carried any sort of power. 

2) Plugging the unit in and turning on the power switch does nothing. Screen stays black. 

Both the power and hdmi cable are used for other various mini systems without issue. 

Any ideas what might be going on? 

Try to plug the delivered! USB cable into a port on your TV. 

It could be your USB cable together with your power supply. I get the same if I use a (on all my devices working) OTG cable inbetween.

Mine is very picky about the power adapter I use. It's a bit Goldilocks. I first tried it with an old Amazon Fire power adaptor. Nothing. I then went total overkill and tried my laptop power brick. Nothing. I found an old Samsung adapter and that was, as they say, "just right". 

So try different power adaptors. You want something that will charge a decent sized tablet without it complaining about inadequate power, I think. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PowerDubs said:

I thought the same thing when I plugged my Insta360 into my pc and it wouldn't work... then read the manual and it said to use the cable it came with...and it worked.

Not sure HOW a cable makes a difference... but it does...

Most TVs in the last 8 years have shipped with at least 1 USB port available, which can be extended with a (powered) hub to create multiple devices on it. I think that was the expectation here. My TV actually has 3 USBs because LG is a great company. 

But I recognize not everyone may have this option. 

Edited by tradyblix

I'd recommend that Atari offer an "option" on 2600+ (and GameStation Pro) ordering... perhaps add $10 to the total cost of the order if a user selects it, in order to get a power brick. Add the Atari logo to the charging adapter, and people will buy it. Those who don't need / want an additional power brick simply won't buy it. I think it might save a lot of headache. I realize the argument for not including one, but there's a lot of people who aren't expecting this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2023 at 7:47 AM, 82-T/A said:

I'd recommend that Atari offer an "option" on 2600+ (and GameStation Pro) ordering... perhaps add $10 to the total cost of the order if a user selects it, in order to get a power brick. Add the Atari logo to the charging adapter, and people will buy it. Those who don't need / want an additional power brick simply won't buy it. I think it might save a lot of headache. I realize the argument for not including one, but there's a lot of people who aren't expecting this.

Honestly this is one of those "first world problems" like the "i don't have a printed manual". 

Everyone has a phone. you can look at all kinds of manuals easily on your phone. It saves us cutting down trees unnecessarily. You know 99.9 percent of the time they just sit in a drawer. 

As far as a power brick, go buy one on amazon. they're cheap. they are a dime a dozen. 

Having an Atari branded one is cool, but the level of complaining people do about this - Even apple doesn't give you a brick anymore on a 1500 dollar phone.

It's time for people to get their own power bricks. I don't really have any sympathy for this type of internet hand wringing and complaining. It's not as if they've ripped you off, which is always the tenor of these posts. Oh the humanity. 

Edited by tradyblix

41 minutes ago, tradyblix said:

Honestly this is one of those "first world problems" like the "i don't have a printed manual". 

Everyone has a phone. you can look at all kinds of manuals easily on your phone. It saves us cutting down trees unnecessarily. You know 99.9 percent of the time they just sit in a drawer. 

As far as a power brick, go buy one on amazon. they're cheap. they are a dime a dozen. 

Having an Atari branded one is cool, but the level of complaining people do about this - Even apple doesn't give you a brick anymore on a 1500 dollar phone.

It's time for people to get their own power bricks. I don't really have any sympathy for this type of internet hand wringing and complaining. It's not as if they've ripped you off, which is always the tenor of these posts. Oh the humanity. 

Hahah, I think you're reading too much into my post, or applying everyone else's thoughts to this one response ???

I did buy a power brick from Amazon. I was merely suggesting that they could include a power brick as an extra cost option. I didn't have a USB-C charger, so I bought one when people mentioned it didn't come with one. This worked out well because apparently the GameStation Pro didn't come with one either, but I had the one I bought for my 2600+ so I just used that.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 4:59 PM, tradyblix said:

Most TVs in the last 8 years have shipped with at least 1 USB port available, which can be extended with a (powered) hub to create multiple devices on it. I think that was the expectation here. My TV actually has 3 USBs because LG is a great company. 

But I recognize not everyone may have this option. 

A friend who had an LG Battery for his solar panels which burnt his house down (yes, really) would probably disagree with you.  As a result I would never touch an LG product again.  

8 hours ago, MittyOz said:

A friend who had an LG Battery for his solar panels which burnt his house down (yes, really) would probably disagree with you.  As a result I would never touch an LG product again.  

Meanwhile, I've had an LG TV for over 2.5 years, an LG gaming monitor (which I'm using now) for over a year, an LG Blu-ray player for several years and I used to carry an LG smart phone until I had to upgrade because it was running out of internal memory and Android was having issues downloading updates. I've had zero major issues with any of those devices. I'm sorry for your friend, but that sounds like a worst case scenario freak occurrence that happened with a product from a company that has an overall good track record.

On 12/18/2023 at 12:09 AM, MittyOz said:

Yeah that sucks I mean I can certainly understand that. I had a pair of pioneer headphones that cost me $300 one time and they broke within a few months.

And after that I never bought Pioneer headphones again. even though Pioneer at various times has been a good brand.

It's probably not a good way to be making decisions though, because LG is one of the best TV brands and has been for quite a few years now. and the last two TVs that I bought were LG TVs and they were both very expensive TVs. first one in 2016 to replace a failed 2015 vizio purchase,  and one in 2021 because i wanted aomething bigger.

They have improved quite a bit since 2016 and I can tell you that I am super satisfied with them, and probably would never buy anybody else now for a while. I actually bought four high end TVs since 2010 and one of them was a Vizio that lasted 14 months before it had a catastrophic failure and they basically laughed at me when I asked to see if I could get any kind of support.

So I both sympathize with and caution against the "I'm never going to buy this brand again" thing. 

My two cents on the power situation here is that while I actually don't take issue with phones not shipping with charging bricks anymore, I do feel the 2600+ probably should have.

In the case of a phone, the idea is that you're probably replacing your old phone. Therefore, when you stopped using your old phone, its charger was freed up for you to allocate to your new phone. Not including one will typically reduce waste and clutter, which is good.

However, the 2600+ isn't typically replacing anything. And if it is, it's probably something with a 3.5mm phono jack for power. No power supply was freed up for you to allocate to it. Therefore, I don't think the same arguments for not including one apply.

Of course many will have extras laying around. I do. For me it's no big deal. But I do think including one would have been the better choice.

• Like 1