IGNORED

Just curious does anybody still play their PS3 or does it collect dust?

Shaun David

I still play mine.

My nephews are at that age they are starting to get into FPS, and while they were visiting a few weeks ago we had a blast running though some of the PS3 COD titles.

The PS3 has a massive catalogue and a lot of amazing games, the graphics are still very decent, and it is an old enough system now I can can pick up popular titles for practically nothing. Especially compared to what PS5 games are going for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I kind of unintentionally skipped that console generation, and only picked up a PS3 slim model in the last couple of years.  I've upgraded the hard drive and softmodded it, but the disc drive works fine so I've bought plenty of games on the cheap and even watched a few blu-rays on it.  Also I bought some used controllers and cleaned them all up and replaced the batteries.  I quite like it, though I think I only would have liked this specific model.  I'm really digging Split/Second and I'll play a Ratchet & Clank game soon.

• Like 1

So I got my buddy’s PS3 for free when he upgraded to a PS4 (I’m still waiting for him to upgrade to PS5!! LOL). That must’ve been, I don’t know, maybe 7+ years ago?  

Over the years I’ve amassed a collection of games that I want to get to, but it just never seems to happen. I’m trying to make it more of a point to get play time on all my systems throughout the year, beyond my default Xbox. So in 2023 that meant Link to the Past on my SNES Classic, Paper Mario TTYD on my GameCube, and I’m pretty sure I finished Castle of Illusion on my Genesis Mini (if not 2023 then it was late 2022). 

But I still never got over to the PS3. Yesterday I made a point to rectify that. I had gotten 4-5 hours into Kingdom Hearts years ago, put it down for whatever reason and never got back to it. So I started a new game….looking forward to finishing it this time, and then to maybe whittle away at least 1 or 2 others from my PS3 backlog before moving switching gears again for a bit. 

I actually think I was super close to finishing Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, and was going to go back to that. But my disc would not read. I was afraid it was the drive, but it read a copy of Max Payne 3 that I have just fine, and of course like I said Kingdom Hearts. Really weird….disc has no scratches on it and my kids are not little ones (plus they’ve never touched the PS3 anyway) so not sure what may have happened there. Really grinds my gears the thought of rebuying a game I already have 😒

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Mine gets about as much use as my other "classic" systems.  Occasionally, I will play a game in the backlog, but I return to games on X360 and Wii more often.  I never deeply invested into the PS3, so I only have one 6-axis controller and a small pile of physical games.  I do have some digital purchases as well that I've been working through over the years.  I hope to keep playing them in the years to come.  I actually just passed up playing ICO in favor of the PS2 version.  I did that because I happened to be playing 2 PS2 games at the same time.  However, I am planning to play the PS3 version of SOTC sometime in 2024.

I'll say that I had to have the laser replaced in my PS3 (slim) about 2 years ago.  There was a local place who did it pretty cheap, so I just had them do it.

PS3 is how I play my Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, which I still play quite a bit. I have hundreds and hundreds of DLC songs, so I never get bored.

I also play the 2007 PS3 version of Q*bert quite a bit. That's my favorite home version of Q*bert.

The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection still gets played quite a bit by my friends and I, especially because I own Mortal Kombat arcade sticks for PS3.

Only other game I can really think of on PS3 that I play a lot is Virtua Tennis 3, which is my favorite tennis game of all time.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SUPER STREET FIGHTER II TURBO said:

PS3 is how I play my Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, which I still play quite a bit. I have hundreds and hundreds of DLC songs, so I never get bored.

I also play the 2007 PS3 version of Q*bert quite a bit. That's my favorite home version of Q*bert.

The Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection still gets played quite a bit by my friends and I, especially because I own Mortal Kombat arcade sticks for PS3.

Only other game I can really think of on PS3 that I play a lot is Virtua Tennis 3, which is my favorite tennis game of all time.

Welcome to AtariAge - there really was something special about Guitar Hero.  I still have a softspot for the PS2 versions and get them out every so often.  Unfortunately, I don't have 2 guitars that work 100% for any system anymore.

10 hours ago, wongojack said:

Welcome to AtariAge - there really was something special about Guitar Hero.  I still have a softspot for the PS2 versions and get them out every so often.  Unfortunately, I don't have 2 guitars that work 100% for any system anymore.

Thank you for the welcome. Appreciate it. Any idea how long my posts will need to be approved by a moderator?

I definitely spent more time playing the PS2 versions with friends. Guitar Hero 1 & 2 just kind of blew everyone's minds and everybody I knew wanted to play. Man, woman and child. 

For the PS3 games, you could make playlists, it's the original master recordings, you can download DLC, so for me personally it became more of a solo experience instead of the house party with dozens of people playing throughout the night kind of vibe the PS2 ones had in my life. In the PS3 era, I'd make a 3 hour playlist and just jam a ton of songs I love by myself, whereas in the PS2 days you were playing whatever random songs the game happened to have, cover versions no less, and you were just enthralled by this new way of playing a game.

• Like 1

Up until last Friday the newest iteration in the PlayStation lineage that I owned was a PlayStation 2 that I bought from a pawn shop back in 2001. That all changed with the arrival of a PlayStation 3 from one of my best friends. She said I could have it as long as I paid for the shipping.

The catch is the console technically doesn't work and it needs to be serviced, but there's a game shop where I live that fixes literally everything so I'm banking on them being able to repair the console. It's one of the original run consoles when the PS3 was just launched (echoes of "$599 US dollars" in your head now) so it's double backwards compatible with the PS2 and PS1. That was why I wanted it so much.

• Like 1

Sold mine  a few years ago, sometimes I miss playing some of my old games  (especially Killzone, Buzz and Resistance), but yeah in a few years PCs will be able to emulate all of the PS3s games flawlessly so I don't really miss the hardware itself that much.

Edited by JPF997