Jump to content
IGNORED

JollyCV - A Highly Accurate Emulator for the ColecoVision and Super Game Module


carmiker

Recommended Posts

Hello ColecoVision fans, I have finally gotten around to building a standalone Windows binary of JollyCV. I started writing this back in 2020, and it has now evolved to a mature state. All commercially released games should run, and the Roller, Steering Wheel, and Super Action Controller are all supported (though the Steering Wheel is sometimes a little dodgy).

 

I should note that this was built and designed on Linux and is really still a "Linux program", so it is not the most user-friendly, and must be executed from the command line or have a ROM dragged to the executable. You need OpenGL 3.3 support, and you also need to supply your own "coleco.rom", which I know all of you have dumped on your own legally :).

 

Once it is running, TAB will bring up the menu. F1 and F2 will reset, F5/F6 save states, and F7/F8 load states.

 

https://gitlab.com/jgemu/jollycv

 

Enjoy.

 

jollycv-1.0.1.zip

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, zyzzle said:

As it comes from Linux source, may it be compiled for MS-DOS under DJGPP / gcc? Half-way serious question!

The emulator core itself is extremely portable, so it would not surprise me if this is possible, assuming there is an ISO C11 compliant compiler. I don't think DJGPP would work specifically, but maybe someone has created a toolchain for DOS that supports newer standards. It would also need a DOS-specific frontend, maybe using an old revision of Allegro or something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Allegro would work as a front-end. I have a DOS toolchain which includes it. Allegro 4 would handle the sound, display, etc. Seems like it could be a good project to get a new emulator working in DOS. (I already got Col-Em ported back to DOS, long after Marat gave up the ghost after version 2.4 or so).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is great work, thanks!  I like that you can re-map the controls right inside the app.  I was just showing my kids a few Colecovision games yesterday and was lamenting that the controls in most CV emulators (that I've used, anyway) are buried in a configuration file.  JollyCV solves that problem: if I can't remember the controls, I just set them again!

 

One request: I was looking for a way to reset, checked through all the menus, read the README, and only just saw your F1, F2, etc. instructions in the top-post on my way back here to ask if it was possible.  Including that list in the documentation or (even better) on-screen while the Tab menu is open would be great!  Thanks again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2023 at 11:48 PM, Falonn said:

This is great work, thanks!  I like that you can re-map the controls right inside the app.  I was just showing my kids a few Colecovision games yesterday and was lamenting that the controls in most CV emulators (that I've used, anyway) are buried in a configuration file.  JollyCV solves that problem: if I can't remember the controls, I just set them again!

 

One request: I was looking for a way to reset, checked through all the menus, read the README, and only just saw your F1, F2, etc. instructions in the top-post on my way back here to ask if it was possible.  Including that list in the documentation or (even better) on-screen while the Tab menu is open would be great!  Thanks again.

This is a great idea. The reason the situation is the way it is right now is that I created a generic frontend for all of my emulators and ports, originally with the intention of only having emulators exist as modules or "plugins", but later decided it would be good to be able to link the frontend to any emulator to create standalone executables. The README for the generic frontend contains all of that information, but it would certainly be better for static builds to have some basic information contained within a "Help" menu. What you're using is the JollyCV core linked to "The Jolly Good Reference Frontend". One day I hope to make something more user-friendly and I will be able to link the emulator core to that as well.

See: https://gitlab.com/jgemu/jgrf, https://jgemu.gitlab.io/

 

On 12/25/2023 at 6:13 AM, llabnip said:

Let me say that the code is extremely well written - a joy to look through!  Well done. 

Thank you for the compliment. Originally, this codebase was meant to be an educational aid for university level computer science students, so I took great care in making the code readable and understandable for use in an educational environment. That didn't quite work out, but I still maintain this goal anyway :).

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 1:54 PM, carmiker said:

I should note that this was built and designed on Linux and is really still a "Linux program"

Hi, is there a build for this to run on LINUX with an ARM processor?   Is there a way to configure controllers to work with it?  Thank you! 

Avast is not happy with the Windows exe currently... 

Edited by big_guitar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 6:00 PM, big_guitar said:

Hi, is there a build for this to run on LINUX with an ARM processor?   Is there a way to configure controllers to work with it?  Thank you! 

Avast is not happy with the Windows exe currently... 

There is no binary build for anything other than Windows (and a port to OpenEmu for macOS), but it is very easy to build for Linux running on any architecture.

Instructions to build are here (you can use a static build like this Windows build, or use the generic frontend and use the emulator as a module):

https://gitlab.com/jgemu/jgrf

https://gitlab.com/jgemu/jollycv

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/24/2023 at 2:54 PM, carmiker said:

Hello ColecoVision fans, I have finally gotten around to building a standalone Windows binary of JollyCV. I started writing this back in 2020, and it has now evolved to a mature state. All commercially released games should run, and the Roller, Steering Wheel, and Super Action Controller are all supported (though the Steering Wheel is sometimes a little dodgy).

 

I should note that this was built and designed on Linux and is really still a "Linux program", so it is not the most user-friendly, and must be executed from the command line or have a ROM dragged to the executable. You need OpenGL 3.3 support, and you also need to supply your own "coleco.rom", which I know all of you have dumped on your own legally :).

 

Once it is running, TAB will bring up the menu. F1 and F2 will reset, F5/F6 save states, and F7/F8 load states.

 

https://gitlab.com/jgemu/jollycv

 

Enjoy.

 

jollycv-1.0.1.zip 1.76 MB · 39 downloads

Any chance for a GP2X port?  The GP2X is a linux handheld game player from the mid 2000s.  check it out at openhandhelds.org.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...