IGNORED

MDOS Version 7.42 Release

9640News

@Brufnus

Have you made any changes with CYA to MDOS?

@InsaneMultitasker

I have a 1.44 MB floppy attached to the HFDC as DSK2.  It formats fine at /2 /36 /80.  It did however have a media error formatting the 1.44 MB floppy as /1 /9 /40 with a media error when it went into sector verification.  Now, when I put a 720K diskette into the drive, the floppy formatted fine with the /1 /9 /40 settings.

Is there any need to test commenting out those two lines of code?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 9640News said:

@Brufnus

@InsaneMultitasker

I have a 1.44 MB floppy attached to the HFDC as DSK2.  It formats fine at /2 /36 /80.  It did however have a media error formatting the 1.44 MB floppy as /1 /9 /40 with a media error when it went into sector verification.  Now, when I put a 720K diskette into the drive, the floppy formatted fine with the /1 /9 /40 settings.

Do you also have a floppy controller in the system?  The failure is only likely to occur if the HFDC is the only controller.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.   

Update: the CTLTYP value is used to indicate the floppy-only controller type at CRU >1100.  If there is no FDC in the system, the flag will be set to -1 and the test will branch to the error condition.  I had planned to add more types but it got way too messy. 

* FLOPPY CONTROLLER
*    determine controller type, drive types, and step rates
* CTLTYP:  0=TI, 1=Myarc, 2=CC  Default=Myarc/1
*           -1 for TIPI or NO FDC found

• Like 1

Just now, 9640News said:

@InsaneMultitasker

OK, commenting out those two lines with a single HFDC controller card in the system fixes the issue.  My HFDC is at CRU >1000.

Is there anything else we need to address?  If not, I can roll out a 7.43 update to fix the issue.

Nothing that comes to mind. Sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 9640News said:

@Brufnus

@InsaneMultitasker

Hi again,

Well, yes... I remapped according to what drives I have attached (one 5 1/4" and one 3.5" floppy, and two Horizon HRD's at >1400 and >1600 respectively), the path, the command prompt, and the necessary drive assigns. In any case, as a minimum, I'll have to remap the floppies to the HFDC of course, but I could try without any other changes?

I do have an original TI floppy controller available as well, if that could prove useful somehow; testing etc.

5 hours ago, Ksarul said:

The CTLTYP will already work for two of the other DD controller possibilities, as Atronic and BwG both generally identify as CC when polled.

Now that you mention the Atronix... I just recalled I inherited one of these some years ago... perhaps I should put that to good use as well.

Edited by Brufnus