IGNORED

Being very frustrated about the safety of my retro srufff

For 14,5 years nothing unusual happened in my basement,no drop of water did ever leaked in,even not once there was lots of rain during the spring,the summer or autumn,but guess  what ,just once i have collected lot’s of cool retro stuff in the past 1,5 years by overspending $8339 dollars including shipping costs,including atari stuff,C64 stuff,colecovision & intelevision stuff and many many other stuff,and then all the sudden in december theres lot’s of rain every day hours and hours on end non-stop,to the point that the water did find it’s way into our apartement and did turn our floor hall and part of my basement floor to become wet,i was sooo shocked and astonished about this that i decided to move my stuff immediately to another part of my basement so i put many off my stuff on a table tokeep it temperatury save from getting damaged from water,i discovered that not only the water did come from the window side and door side inside my basement but even from my neichboor’s basement trough those sideway walls underneat,so theres something wrong with those walls of my basement,i also decided to partially clean my hall by using two hand towels and put that absorbed water inside a bucket and then throwed it outside close down a lake ,i ended up removing 16 buckets of water out of that hall but still theres lots of water inside and in my basement there is a little bit of water but i do keep an eye of it everyday,i cannot wait untill our goverment will respond to this,because they will only do something once it will stop raining,so i have to take matters partially in my own hands,i just can’t let this go ,

so i have to respond now,but even with all these intervenes from me,am still worried that the remained moisture could penetrate inside my retro stuff, eventrough i do have my retro stuff stored in cutton boxes but still,

sure i could decide to temperatury in my livingroom inside the house but i just don’t want that theifs might could see their oppertunity to strike now,yes nothing is 100-% save but this situation is just absolutely ludicrous because now i am aware that my basement down stairs is NIT save against water and i don’t have much space left in my house to temperatury store all my stuff their,

man if i did knew about 15 years ago,i would,ve thinked twice before i would,ve stored my stuff their, but as of now am thinking about buying extra closets to store my retro stuff in there once that leakage problem of my basement and hall will be solved,but as of now am holding my breath and hope for the best and and that it wouldn’t get any worse then that, i wouldn’t even wish this to my worst enemy.

44A07F8D-C60A-491B-A69D-35762512027A.jpeg

• Sad 3

49 minutes ago, T.A.P. said:

My experience with leaky basements prompted me to put everything in plastic bins.

It has a better chance of keeping water out as well as dust and other debris.

Yeah i am considering doing that as well,BUT man what a coincidence that such thing did happen right before christmas to this day on in the new year, i cannot think of a worse moment that that,it’s like as if those anto retro gods did put a curse on me after i proudly collected those extra retro stuff (a 148 to be exactly including games,accessoiresess and consoles etc,,,) other then that i got all my nintendo stuff in my house,

now am considering buying giant plastic bins and closets to protect my beloved retro stuff against leaking water.

Now as you may could see guys i have put lots of retro gaming stuff on the table but here’re also lots of traces of water insidde my basement    It’s just frightening to see this and it’s only a matter of time that if the rain will keep contineu on and nobody from our goverment will do something about it, i could expect the situation to only getting worse then this🥲

A07862CA-FED6-4148-BBE1-AC944535B22F.jpeg

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is offsite storage available -- can you rent space somewhere else or store things with friends and family members?

For many years I stored about 50 boxes (including books and video games) in my Parents' house and later in a rented storage unit as I was living elsewhere in the country. 

• Like 2

On 1/6/2024 at 1:01 PM, T.A.P. said:

My experience with leaky basements prompted me to put everything in plastic bins.

It has a better chance of keeping water out as well as dust and other debris.

I have to ditto this statement.   Spend a little money on some good bins that have latchable lids.   Does protect things a bit better than say a cardboard box would.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, doctorclu said:

I have to ditto this statement.   Spend a little money on some good bins that have latchable lids.   Does protect things a bit better than say a cardboard box would.

Yeah man if you’re spending 8k on retro spend another 100 on a bunch of good totes.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/17/2024 at 3:20 PM, jerseystyle said:

Yeah man if you’re spending 8k on retro spend another 100 on a bunch of good totes.

well am considering buying plastic bins with latchable lids,or i could buy some pallets and store those retro stuff on it to make sure that leaking water wouldn’t reach the point to damage my stuff,aslong it wouldn’t get 1 cm high,but for now on,it’s dry again and a little rain wouldn’t cause any leakage into my basement BUT if it will ever rain again that long like last december,that will be problematic,but again am tempted to buy 20 or more transparant plastic bins with latchable lids for those cool retro stuff.

5 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

well am considering buying plastic bins with latchable lids,or i could buy some pallets and store those retro stuff on it to make sure that leaking water wouldn’t reach the point to damage my stuff,aslong it wouldn’t get 1 cm high,but for now on,it’s dry again and a little rain wouldn’t cause any leakage into my basement BUT if it will ever rain again that long like last december,that will be problematic,but again am tempted to buy 20 or more transparant plastic bins with latchable lids for those cool retro stuff.

Just buy them. Storage costs nothing, compared to what you spent on retro.

• Like 3

If you do put your gear in something basically air tight like a plastic bin, put some silica gel bags inside as well.  Otherwise any moisture that gets in will stay in.  The gel packs can be dried out in an oven, so you can use whatever packs you find.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2024 at 3:31 AM, ABA180 said:

Do both.  Pallet is just another piece of safety for your stuff and are probably damn cheap or free

Hi,i just bough today a whopping 26 plastic boxes and put all my game consoles in it,it costed me a whopping €255 euros but i think it was well worth that investment,thus saving a potential thousands of damage ,i was also able to get 3 pallets for free from different stores since they didn’t needed them anymore wich is great thus saving my another €300 and while normally i would,ve gave a sh!t about pallets,but this time even partially broken wet pallets were worth any penny for me as again it could save me from ending up with thousands of waterdamaged stuff,so in such case somebody’s trash just becomes somebody’s else’s cash,yep even trash can turn out to become cash,

yes it was a matter of saving the money but i had to react quickly as the weather in the netherlands didn’t had become any better and our goverment just don’t want to do anything about it,

however i personally do like it more to see those game consoles inside it’s shipped box because those boxes do tell a story about once you purchased those systems,also those boxes are crack resistant unlike plastic ones,so while plastic boxes are water resistant,they aren’t crack resistant like those cardboard boxes are,also plastic boxes could easily slide over each other,so it’s one or the other thing,still trough am happy that i just responded and took action just in time,also since all stuff inside our basement are NOT insured,not by our goverment or whether insurence orgenization,phew🤣

1E352A61-B7D3-4946-8AB3-A9205E63E2FA.jpeg

1E258B03-EE5B-4A57-83E4-967CDD991084.jpeg

5E31E36B-F041-4CB6-9923-A1AF222BDD52.jpeg

70C271C8-7BB1-4AD6-9565-D5191AF15877.jpeg

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 10:45 AM, johannesmutlu said:

Hi,i just bough today a whopping 26 plastic boxes and put all my game consoles in it,it costed me a whopping €255 euros but i think it was well worth that investment,thus saving a potential thousands of damage ,i was also able to get 3 pallets for free from different stores since they didn’t needed them anymore wich is great thus saving my another €300 and while normally i would,ve gave a sh!t about pallets,but this time even partially broken wet pallets were worth any penny for me as again it could save me from ending up with thousands of waterdamaged stuff,so in such case somebody’s trash just becomes somebody’s else’s cash,yep even trash can turn out to become cash,

yes it was a matter of saving the money but i had to react quickly as the weather in the netherlands didn’t had become any better and our goverment just don’t want to do anything about it,

however i personally do like it more to see those game consoles inside it’s shipped box because those boxes do tell a story about once you purchased those systems,also those boxes are crack resistant unlike plastic ones,so while plastic boxes are water resistant,they aren’t crack resistant like those cardboard boxes are,also plastic boxes could easily slide over each other,so it’s one or the other thing,still trough am happy that i just responded and took action just in time,also since all stuff inside our basement are NOT insured,not by our goverment or whether insurence orgenization,phew🤣

1E352A61-B7D3-4946-8AB3-A9205E63E2FA.jpeg

1E258B03-EE5B-4A57-83E4-967CDD991084.jpeg

5E31E36B-F041-4CB6-9923-A1AF222BDD52.jpeg

70C271C8-7BB1-4AD6-9565-D5191AF15877.jpeg

Nice! Glad to see you’ve got it sorted :)

• Like 1

On 2/23/2024 at 1:45 PM, johannesmutlu said:

What do you expect your government to do about the weather?

You should also consider getting a Shopvac to vacuum up the puddles so they don't take forever to dry out. And get a dehumidifier for your basement, so you don't get a bad situation with mold developing.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zoyous said:

What do you expect your government to do about the weather?

You should also consider getting a Shopvac to vacuum up the puddles so they don't take forever to dry out. And get a dehumidifier for your basement, so you don't get a bad situation with mold developing.

Well the goverment cannot do anything about the wheather ,no goverment can or will (conspiracy theories about a secret wheather manipulator aside, in wich i don’t believe in anyways),but the goverment should try to make those basements more water resistant by filling all holes and corners of those walls with concrete and water resistant coating as well as putting water drains around our homes to supposedly avoid the water getting inside our basements,and yes it’s a expensive undertaking and yes theres no 100% garantee that there will be no water getting inside our basements,but still they should do it anyway,what’s the point to otherwise to ever want to put stuff there if theres not some form of garantee that there will be no water ever getting inside,

by the way,am gonna try out those plastic boxes with a paper box inside under the shower just for fun  to see how much water and moisture resistance those plastic boxes really are,(thus  simulating a condiction far more worse then imaginable in my basement),one thing is for sure,in the worst case scenario if those windows in my basement will break for whether reason and if there will ever be a huge storm,then those plastic boxes will be obviously not storm resistant because they will be slide,smacked and thrown down the ground and break in pieces and they probably will hardly obsorb any impac from those retro systems,thus not eliminating any  damaging to those retro systems,but for now on i don’t expect such worst case scenario and theres also no water pipe above to the ceiling, so if a water pipe will ever bleak down for whatever reason,nothing will happen,but a shopvac along with a moisture abdorber,but whoever knows if i got enough money for those stuff😁

3 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

a shopvac along with a moisture abdorber,but whoever knows if i got enough money for those stuff😁

You just said you spent over $8000 on retro items, you should be able to spend a few hundred to help keep them in the best condition possible. Just put a Sega sticker on your new Shopvac and an Atari sticker on your dehumidifier so it will feel like another retro purchase. 😄

I have similar leakage in my basement, and it's a big problem to get it fully sorted out. The first thing to do is to check the angle of the ground around all sides of the building to make sure rainwater is flowing away from the building and not toward it. In many cases that will solve the problem. If not, you have to move on to a drainage system (e.g., a French drain) around the building. If that doesn't fully fix the problem, you have to install a sump pump system around the perimeter of the basement inside. Having said that, I own my house so it makes sense for me to invest in those steps. Since you're renting, you should pressure the owner of the building to do this, primarily as a matter of health because mold is a serious health issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Zoyous said:

You just said you spent over $8000 on retro items, you should be able to spend a few hundred to help keep them in the best condition possible. Just put a Sega sticker on your new Shopvac and an Atari sticker on your dehumidifier so it will feel like another retro purchase. 😄

I have similar leakage in my basement, and it's a big problem to get it fully sorted out. The first thing to do is to check the angle of the ground around all sides of the building to make sure rainwater is flowing away from the building and not toward it. In many cases that will solve the problem. If not, you have to move on to a drainage system (e.g., a French drain) around the building. If that doesn't fully fix the problem, you have to install a sump pump system around the perimeter of the basement inside. Having said that, I own my house so it makes sense for me to invest in those steps. Since you're renting, you should pressure the owner of the building to do this, primarily as a matter of health because mold is a serious health issue.

These are indeed Good pointsto mention😁👍

I don't see any mention of insurance in this thread...  I made sure that my home owner's insurance would cover my retro collection. 

Floods, fire, earthquake, storms, theft, etc.   You cannot easily take precautions against every threat, so get insurance that will cover it.

5 hours ago, johannesmutlu said:

by the way,am gonna try out those plastic boxes with a paper box inside under the shower just for fun  to see how much water and moisture resistance those plastic boxes really are,

Good idea!  You should start another thread with before, during, and after pictures of your test.  That is good info for all of us.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LS650 said:

I don't see any mention of insurance in this thread...  I made sure that my home owner's insurance would cover my retro collection. 

Floods, fire, earthquake, storms, theft, etc.   You cannot easily take precautions against every threat, so get insurance that will cover it.

Well that’s the whole problem,everything in our basement does NOT get covered by our home insurance or house co’operation,whether from damage,thefts,civil war etc,,,just nothing (yep the artical from our house co’operation mentioned a civil war in it to be not covered with it as well,haha,duuuh),only stuff in our house are getting covered by our home insurance,well am glad you mentioned such suggestions  because once i did my research on this,i discovered all these iinsurance issues with our home insurance or house co’operation for not covering anything in our basement,yeah it’s stupid and bullshit but it is what it is.

14 hours ago, UrQuan3 said:

Good idea!  You should start another thread with before, during, and after pictures of your test.  That is good info for all of us.

Well i decided to do the whole process all over again and take pictures of it before,during and after testing it,and so far i tested it,it did withtstand water and moisture,what i did was put a cardboard box inside a plastic box,then i put the plastic box under shower with hot water and sprayed that water for 5/10 minutes from all sides on it,from above to side ways close to the the lid and so there was no moisture getting inside it,however a real testimony would be to put that plastic box for 24 hours inside the shower with hot water to see if the moisture do get a better chance to get inside the plastic box or not,for now that plastic box will withstand such intense hot water along with moisture to ever penetrate inside it,but since pennitrated water inside the basement will never become that hot,that moisture should not pennitrate inside that plastic boxes😁

DFBAD2E5-96ED-448C-83EC-62E3DDD44D50.jpeg

B610AE45-39CA-4E0F-8DFF-6934BDA48B6C.jpeg

237E255F-0781-4ABA-AC7A-6FAC277DA13F.jpeg

670F8B15-3CD9-4B84-B53C-29A7FEEFBA26.jpeg

F773662E-9989-467F-84AF-F1934CD36DD0.jpeg

B8FC1622-4BAA-4273-87A9-04E4ABE7690F.jpeg

C641E1A9-3758-4ACB-8897-58C00F51EC78.jpeg

CF966E7C-D3EF-4B63-A03C-3B9E94C2080C.jpeg

Edited by johannesmutlu

I highly disrecomment using those shitty black lids for those plastic boxes because they clearly suck ass,that’s because after some intensive tests,it turns out that the water was able to penetrate inside the plaatic from it’s locking mechanism,so i traded (!) them in for those transparant ones wich are water proof,

glad i realized and discovered this just in time because once i bought those transparant ones and put those ones on those remained plastic boxes,it started to rain outside,so am glad am rectified this mistake😁

E9C3328E-B12D-4CAD-ACB7-B4565B8E7708.jpeg

EC8DC4E7-62B1-497A-B698-0ACCC359AE0E.jpeg

• Thanks 1