IGNORED

Talking about shoot 'em ups, shmups, STGs, scrolling shooters, etc.

Well if you want to throw out some Famicom love I can think of two pretty stunning titles that fit this thread, and the first one from Konami is well known and seems almost like it should be a PCE game more than a FC title -- Crisis Force which I'm happy I own and have for some years. :D  Scroll a few minutes on the clock into stage 1, insanity!

This one is a little less known, not what you'd usually expect from HAL the Kirby people, and it's a MMC5 using beast.  Uchuu Keibitai SDF

• Like 4

Yuugure no Rakuen to Akaku Somaru Teshitachi (aka Angel at Dusk) (PC)

This was just released on Steam yesterday, so I've only spent around an hour with it so far.

It's a vertical bullet hell shooter with a horror atmosphere.  So far it's a lot of fun, but I have to mention the awesome tutorial, which is comprehensive, fun, and written with kindness and a sense of humor.  It's basically bullet hell school, and it covers a lot of crucial stuff like how it's much better to get in close to bosses to increase damage per second, how to most efficiently take out ground targets, and even lessons on dodging through swarms of bullets.

In addition to the standard arcade mode, there's an original mode where you can equip and level up different weapons, so there's lots to do outside of just trying to clear the game or play for score.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Well if you want to throw out some Famicom love I can think of two pretty stunning titles that fit this thread, and the first one from Konami is well known and seems almost like it should be a PCE game more than a FC title -- Crisis Force which I'm happy I own and have for some years. :D  Scroll a few minutes on the clock into stage 1, insanity!

This one is a little less known, not what you'd usually expect from HAL the Kirby people, and it's a MMC5 using beast.  Uchuu Keibitai SDF

Some great picks there! I will always love seeing some Crisis Force representation, great game, visually impressive, good tunes and even has a simultaneous 2 player mode.

I'm genuinely surprised I've never come across Uchuu Keibitai SDF though. As someone who has looked into the Famicom library at multiple occasions I really would've guessed that a solid looking STG from a big name like HAL Laboratory would pop up more often. Definitely going to have to give that one a go.

• Like 1

Speaking of awesome 8 bit shooters nobody seems to mention, Compile's Gulkave for the SG-1000 and MSX is really worth checking out:

Obviously they couldn't do what NES hardware with additional chips could, but for the system it's shocking.

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I'm always down for showing some love to the Famicom. I have a handful of Famicom cartridges, including some good shoot 'em ups. 1942, Image Fight, Star Force and Star Soldier are the ones I have. Also, if you want to include Galaga as a shoot 'em up, I have a Famicom cartridge of it too. Some of those I got in a lot because I wanted a game or two in a lot and I decided to buy the lot to get the games I wanted.

Sometimes, I buy Famicom cartridges on Ebay because they're cheaper than NES cartridges and all I need to play them is either a 60 to 72 pin adapter, or just use my Retron5.

Edited by scifidude79
  • Like 1

I’ve been big into shooters for the last year or so since I built an arcade controls pedestal setup that I can move across various systems in seconds.  So far,  I have: 2600, NES, SMS, Genesis, PS2, Dreamcast, PS3, Wii/GC, with a XB360 coming soon.  There is also an emulation PC to fill the gaps: SNES, TG16, Sega CD, Neo Geo, PS1, etc.  I’ve also got both CRT and rotatable LCD for TATE action.  

This has introduced me to so many new (to me) shooters, especially later ones that I would not have encountered in MAME.  Last night I was playing some Castle of Shikigami games and Psyvariar on PS2.  Any thoughts on these games?  They try to introduce new concepts like this “buzz” mechanic where you are rewarded for hanging out close to enemy bullets and hazards.  Not really feeling this, at least not yet, but probably deserves a bit more of a chance before I give up on it. 

• Like 1

Here’s my setup.  Was just playing some Under Defeat on PS3 in TATE mode… it looks amazing!  That bomb weapon is one of the coolest I’ve seen… utterly nukes the screen in a rolling wave of flames and smoke.  

This game is definitely worth a look.  I believe it originated on NAOMI and Dreamcast, and the version I’ve got here on the PS3 is given the cliched “HD” designation.  

62FD1648-7043-44E6-B902-450F2E6315A5.thumb.jpeg.aaec75cbf2908ae032bab4523511987e.jpeg

• Like 6

Very nice setup!

2 hours ago, Cynicaster said:

Any thoughts on these games?  They try to introduce new concepts like this “buzz” mechanic where you are rewarded for hanging out close to enemy bullets and hazards.  Not really feeling this, at least not yet, but probably deserves a bit more of a chance before I give up on it. 

I found the games in both of these series to be fine to play, but kind of bland.  They are almost like pure mechanics-based games... you have to really like how they play to get anything out of them imo, because there's not much interesting otherwise (graphics, backgrounds, music, etc.).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

Very nice setup!

I found the games in both of these series to be fine to play, but kind of bland.  They are almost like pure mechanics-based games... you have to really like how they play to get anything out of them imo, because there's not much interesting otherwise (graphics, backgrounds, music, etc.).

Pretty much my impressions as well, to a tee. Not terrible by any means, but they don’t have that addictive and chaotic intensity of CAVE’s best work. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, newtmonkey said:

Very nice setup!

Shikigami II is much improved over the first one IMO, with better backgrounds, music, etc. There's better flow to the gameplay as well. 

The first Psyvariar is pretty fun when you get into it, but Psyvariar 2 is a big improvement when it comes to theming, visuals, music, etc. And with Psyvariar 2 in particular (with how fast the level meter builds), it seems to be designed in a way where they want you to level up at specific moments (something that makes you invincible for a second or so), allowing you to pass through tough patterns easier.

Edited by Austin
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 6:36 PM, scifidude79 said:

I had to fire up my PS5 to take a look at my game library because I have some real beauties on there, but the names were eluding me. But, I found them.

Crisis Wing - This is a fun one. It's from 2021 but it's done in the 90s style. Top down vertical scrolling shooter. It's available on multiple platforms.

Full Blast - Another fun one from 2018. This one has more of a modern look to it with some nice 3D graphics. There are lots of enemy types, various power ups and some fun boss fights. Also a top down vertical shooter. Apparently buying the PS4 version also entitles you to the PS Vita version, though I don't own a PS Vita. But, it's also on Steam, XBOX, etc.

Gleylancer - A re-release of a side scrolling space shooter from 1992. I find this one more challenging but also fun.

Soldner-X 2: Final Prototype - I love this game. It's another side scrolling space shooter, with lots of enemies, cool power ups and some nice 3D graphics. It's from 2020 and is made by EastAsiaSoft, who also made Crisis Wing.

Blazing Chrome - A run and gun shooter similar to Contra. This one is from 2019 and has a great 1990s look to it. It's challenging but fun.

And finally:

Resogun - This is by Sony Computer Entertainment, so it's a PlayStation exclusive (PS3, PS4, Vita) from 2013. I have the PS4 version. It's a shoot 'em up with sort of Defender vibes. The levels go around in a circle, so you can constantly fly past the same spot. There are also humans to save, which adds to the Defender vibes. And, of course, hordes of enemies to kill, as you expect in a shoot 'em up.

Does Crisis support tate mode on PS5?

Not as much about any game in particular but more of an interesting little tidbit;
The programmer behind Super Star Soldier, GG Aleste 3 and Blade Buster has a Youtube channel where he posts hobby conversions of various STGs for alternative platforms. For example Sega Master System conversions of MUSHA, Super Aleste, Recca and Super Star Soldier:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't want to throw two reply boxes here so this is easier...

@robotwo Yeah no doubt, I've had it some years now got a killer deal on it even for the time and with a manual too (only FC one I have.)  If I gave up caring about the old system that would be when that's pried from my fingers.  It's like a little slice of PCE on FC.  As to the other, I have no idea, it's a qualifier kind of for a hidden gem, except the scum of the earth figured out about 5 years ago or so now it was actually good, Nintendo only, not-repackaged, and HAL did it so it's like an 'ask' of 100-150 on ebay but it NEVER EVER SELLS.  A bunch of douchy trolls who just squat on stuff since ebay doesn't charge posting fees anymore for years now. :(  Guarantee you they reinstated those a game like that would drop by 1/2 like a lot of stuff.  I want it, but won't buy it on principle.  It's a unique game in some ways, very worth the attempt.  If it came down to it this one would be one of my OG stunts of trading out a costly game for a game because I refuse to budget it.

@scifidude79 I'm pretty much on board with that and have been originally through pirate media (being in old mid/later 80s NES/FC rom releasing groups to vintage multicarts I started seeing in the late 90s into the 00s.  I think it's fair to consider them all, even the non scrollers like Galaga.  I've still got my 1942(and 43) US carts, currently without Star Soldier hoping to remedy that sooner than later locally or just get the FC one in a bundle.  That seems to be the route, I got a lost package in the mail today beat, cracked open, and one cart even missing but it had Star Force in there along with Gradius.  I'm curious what the difference is in the ROM data on Gradius now, the title screen is different on the Konami logo if that's only it.  Image Fight got a US release but I've not seen a cart of that one in a long time.

I tend to like to get FC games when they're unique (like Star Luster) completely along with many Konami titles (I have a lot of those), or censored or lacking(audio side) too, also the insanely late FDS to FC release (I have Stinger aka Moero Twinbee which has difficulties and 3 player mode intact along with cutscenes, censored references etc) and the rest is a cost savings like $20 on FC Genjin or $700 on BONK -- HELL NO.  I've got a couple of  honeybees gold and original, but then usually I just go with my AV Famicom as it's a trip having picked up that up last year.

Cynicaster love the setup! I need to sort a permanent solution. I had a temporary one for a while but it wasn't ideal, or safe :D

I was playing Under Defeat on the DC over the weekend as it happens, quite good, need to put more time into it.

20190814_235112.jpg

Edited by str0m
edit
  • Like 2

Sub-Terrania still stands as one of my favourite multidirectional shooters. Having to struggle against the forces of gravity and buoyancy, latch on to rails, manage fuel, etc. definitely made it a bit of a unconventional shooter, but I still found a lot of enjoyment in it. Part of it may have been Jesper Kyd's soundtrack as I just love the industrial vibes he brought to the Mega Drive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:09 AM, Tanooki said:

@newtmonkey That experience you're having with Raiden arcade is the same issues I see Ghost Pilots on Neo-Geo called out for exactly.  Get lots going on, bullets are faster, you are slower.  Vertical yet scrolls a little, the difficulty jump from 1 to 2 in stages is yikes as well, and it has less power ups than Raiden does.  Think of it like as Raiden arcade meets 1942 in art style/genre of it.  It's good, but very frustrating, so it helps having free play mode on. :P

I love ghost pilots. One of my favs. The real problem is when you die and come back powerless you literally have no chance. If you have a unibios and put on the fully powered cheat the game becomes alot more playable and fun

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Madwindoman said:

I love ghost pilots. One of my favs. The real problem is when you die and come back powerless you literally have no chance. If you have a unibios and put on the fully powered cheat the game becomes alot more playable and fun

I do, and I've never really thought to try that.  I tend to just keep it on free play and slug it out, but you're right.  it's like the 194x series meets ghosts n goblins (or gradius in the back half) level of unfairness once you get powered down entirely.  It's a really great game but it does get hounded somewhat fairly.  I think if the other shooters on the system didn't stand out so much better, including the semi-comparable era style of the 1945 Strikers Plus release it would be viewed a bit better.  It's not bad, it's just not Strikers, Tomaday, or Blazing Star that really shine.

Jamestown (PC)

I've been practicing stage 2 on Legendary, as this stage really has given me a lot of trouble in my Gauntlet runs (way more difficult for me than stages 3 or 4).  I think that this stage requires the most memorization in the game, outside of stage 5 of course with its moving blocks and stuff.  Anyway, I got down to clearing this with one death, and that one death was really very avoidable... so I will probably give the Gauntlet another shot next.  Like I mentioned earlier, I probably won't go for the 1CC for this game, since it's not an arcade game, so I'll be happy to just finish the Gauntlet on Legendary with the two continues the game gives you.

Gunbird (ARC)

This is a lot of fun!  I knew of this game, and probably played it before on MAME or something, but never really sat down and played it for real.  I like how the playable characters are all different, and the "charge" attack is somewhat unique.  The graphics in this game are really excellent, with some fantastic backgrounds full of tiny details.  I'll probably stick with this one for a while and see how it goes.  I was sad to read that the Switch port has some major input lag (6-7 frames, very noticeable to me), because I wouldn't mind playing it on the living room TV.  Oh well, MAME it is.

• Like 1