IGNORED

"Great" Games That You Don't Like

You ever do one of these? Someone you know at work, school, social circle, whatever, tells you about a game. You look it up and you find out that it's considered by many to be great, possibly one of the best games ever. In some cases, the game will even have an almost cult level following. Seeing all of this, you spend some of your hard earned money on this game and play it, only to be deeply, deeply disappointed by it. It's so bad to you in fact that you wonder how it got the level of love that it has. Unfortunately, this does happen.

Here's one that I think is utter trash:

Bloodborne - I found out about this game from a coworker right after I got my PS4. I wasn't naive, so I checked it out first before buying it. I found out that this game is almost universally praised. I bought it and tried it out. My first impressions were positive. I loved the graphics and the dark art style, but that soon wore off as I attempted to play the game. I found it incredibly difficult. I didn't know at the time that this was intentional. This game in fact is so difficult that Sony actually sends you a Bloodborne survival guide with helpful tips when you buy it. I tried doing the things they said to do, such as one hit difficult enemies, and I was successful maybe 15% of the time. Then I had people tell me that if I skipped certain enemies and found hidden shortcut paths that it wasn't as hard as I thought it was. But, nobody told me which enemies I was supposed to skip and attempting to get around them often resulted in them still following me and killing me. And, I never found those hidden paths. What makes matters worse, the first level is pretty long and you have to reach pretty far into it before you hit your first checkpoint. I never made it. That game is what I call "stupidly difficult." It's so difficult that I find it to not be enjoyable, because I play games to have fun and relax, not to be stressed out. I don't mind some difficult fights that take a few tries to figure out, but I don't want lower level enemies that can easily kill me. What makes this game even worse for me is that it literally has a cult-like following of people who will ridicule, even bully people who talk bad about it. Or they'll offer the utterly unhelpful phrase "just get good." 🙄 I started that game in 2016 and I quit it in 2016. It's now permanently hidden in my PlayStation library.

Anyway, that's one I can think of off the top of my head. Anyone else have any of those games that seem to get universal praise that you'd rather not play? Let's hear about it.

• Like 2

The Last Of Us - It probably doesn't help that I've never been into the "Zombie Apocalypse" genre.    But I didn't enjoy this much.  I hated the beginning, I hated the ending,  it got a little better in the middle, but not for long.   I didn't like the characters,  and literally fell asleep a couple of times while trying to play it.

5 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

What makes this game even worse for me is that it literally has a cult-like following of people who will ridicule, even bully people who talk bad about it. Or they'll offer the utterly unhelpful phrase "just get good."

I know Bloodbourne and other Souls games have this reputation, but I've always found the community extremely helpful.   They gave me tips to try when I got stuck, like a different weapon recommendation, or use certain items.  They would also offer to join your game to help defeat that "impossible" boss.   Nobody ever told me to 'git gud'.

Edited by zzip
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I never tried The Last of Us, mostly because of the whole Zombie Apocalypse thing. It's not my thing either.

6 hours ago, zzip said:

I know Bloodbourne and other Souls games have this reputation, but I've always found the community extremely helpful.   They gave me tips to try when I got stuck, like a different weapon recommendation, or use certain items.  They would also offer to join your game to help defeat that "impossible" boss.   Nobody ever told me to 'git gud'.

I got this from the days when people could comment on Amazon reviews. With the almost universal love I'd seen for the game, I'd figured I couldn't be the only one who just didn't like it. I looked up the game on Amazon and took a look at the reviews. I saw some 1-star reviews by people who were struggling and criticizing the game's difficulty, to which a lot of people left remarks like "git gud" and much worse. It gave an unhelpful and with some of the comments a bully vibe. That may not have been a large part of the community, but it clearly represented at least a part of the people who played that game.

1 hour ago, jerseystyle said:

Landstalker! So hyped up, and man I HATED it. Isometric platforming? Just shoot off my face. Brutal.

Oh man, I played so much of Landstalker back in the day on the Genesis that I had such fond memories of it. However, trying it again years later on both a Genesis clone and the Sega Genesis collection that's out on basically everything, and I found it so much more difficult to get back into. So, it's one of those things where the memories are more fond than the more recent experiences and even the rose tinted nostalgia glasses didn't help.

• Like 1

God of War (2018) -- I felt like this was WAY too much "walk and listen."  or "ride in a boat and listen."   And when gameplay did start, I just button mashed my way through to the end.  Party because I didn't care enough to play around with combos, but partly because I didn't need to.  I finished the game, but not sure if I'm gonna try the sequel.

Sonic the Hedgehog -  pretty much all of them that I've played.   But I dunno, I see a lot of talk about how Sonic is and always was crap, so I don't know if they're considered "great" or "crap" these days.   

Inside -- all those perfect scores but quite the bore for me.  And that big shitblob monster thing at the end was just too stupid to take seriously.

Forza Horizon 5 -- too much driving around doing fuck all, not enough actual racing, and the whole 'bro-dude-cool-kids" vibe was embarrassing. 

World of Warcraft -- I've seen people click "follow" or something and fall asleep while still playing and leveling up.  That pretty much summed it up for me.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

God of War (2018) -- I felt like this was WAY too much "walk and listen."  or "ride in a boat and listen."   And when gameplay did start, I just button mashed my way through to the end.  Party because I didn't care enough to play around with combos, but partly because I didn't need to.  I finished the game, but not sure if I'm gonna try the sequel.

I'm totally with you on that one. I actually bought the PS5 bundle that came with GOW: Ragnarok because it was, well, available. Seriously, after two years of not having them in stock, my Walmart all of a sudden had them and I didn't care what game was included. My employee discount made the game free anyway, but I was going to try it out. But, before playing the sequel, I wanted to play the first one. I found it boring, the characters uninteresting and there didn't seem to be much of a story to it. But, I also quit pretty early on because I was so bored. I never even activated my code for the sequel on my console because I literally quit that whole series then and there.

31 minutes ago, Razzie.P said:

Forza Horizon 5 -- too much driving around doing fuck all, not enough actual racing, and the whole 'bro-dude-cool-kids" vibe was embarrassing.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the Forza Horizon games. 🤣 I do like the series, though. But I've barely tried FH5.

Edited by scifidude79

15 hours ago, Razzie.P said:

I can't remember which Forza Horizon I have on PC, but yeah I didn't like the vibe, and the game kinda bored me,.  But I thought maybe I just got burned out from too many racing games

Edited by zzip
  • Like 1

Super Smash Bros Melee

This is the only entry in the series I have tried and I do not get it. The roster seems cool and the concept is great I guess but the gameplay is a dud. 

Where are the health bars? How do I know what damage I'm doing? Why didn't falling into the pit kill him? Why did I die falling into the pit? Is this a platformer now? Why is everything a hot mess? 

I have tried getting into it a few times but found no joy in it. 

• Like 1

I have the new Super Mario RPG on Switch.  I'm not really into RPGs but wanted to try it out as I never played the original.  For me the game is fine.  I struggle with certain battles.  It's a lot of trial and error.  I've been leveling up the characters which helps.  Also, I have the difficulty on easy but sometimes a game can still be hard even if it's on easy mode.  Not sure how far I'll get in the game.  Right now, it doesn't look good.  But at least I got to play it.

• Like 2

Assassin's Creed is a super popular franchise that I can't get into. I've tried a couple of the games and I don't see the appeal. The story element of living through an ancestor's memories doesn't do anything for me, I'd rather just play as that character.

Final Fantasy VII - OK, this one comes with a caveat. I actually like the modern remake, I enjoyed playing that on PC. What I don't like is the original FFVII. I've been told time and again how it's the best RPG ever but I couldn't get into the story, I didn't care for the graphics at all and I don't like the 2.5D perspective of the game. I like the earlier 2D Final Fantasy games and some of the later ones with 3D graphics.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Intellivision Master said:

I have the new Super Mario RPG on Switch.  I'm not really into RPGs but wanted to try it out as I never played the original.  For me the game is fine.  I struggle with certain battles.  It's a lot of trial and error.  I've been leveling up the characters which helps.  Also, I have the difficulty on easy but sometimes a game can still be hard even if it's on easy mode.  Not sure how far I'll get in the game.  Right now, it doesn't look good.  But at least I got to play it.

The problem in all Mario RPGs is Mario himself. As a character, he is a blank slate. Jumps around and yells wahoo. Great for a platformer but you need some depth and character to a grand, story driven adventure. An RPG hero he is not. 

Edit: I also do not care about Super Mario RPG, if that wasn't evident

Edited by Wayler
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, zzip said:

I can't remember which Forza Horizon I have on PC, but yeah I didn't like the vibe, and the game kinda bored me,.  But I thought maybe I just got burned out from too many racing games

I played Forza Horizon 5 on Xbox Series S.  I lost interest in it after a while.  I'm not good at racing games.  But I wanted to see how the Forza series was.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scifidude79 said:

Assassin's Creed is a super popular franchise that I can't get into. I've tried a couple of the games and I don't see the appeal. The story element of living through an ancestor's memories doesn't do anything for me, I'd rather just play as that character.

Final Fantasy VII - OK, this one comes with a caveat. I actually like the modern remake, I enjoyed playing that on PC. What I don't like is the original FFVII. I've been told time and again how it's the best RPG ever but I couldn't get into the story, I didn't care for the graphics at all and I don't like the 2.5D perspective of the game. I like the earlier 2D Final Fantasy games and some of the later ones with 3D graphics.

I never got into these 2 series.  I played some of the titles but they just weren't for me.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Intellivision Master said:

I played Forza Horizon 5 on Xbox Series S.  I lost interest in it after a while.  I'm not good at racing games.  But I wanted to see how the Forza series was.

The Forza Motorsport series is much better than the Forza Horizon series, in my opinion. Forza Motorsport is a straight racing game. No driving around impressing your fans by doing stupid stuff, no having to go "find" races, etc. Just racing on tracks. I don't know how the latest game in the series is, but I've seen some negative reactions to it. But, I have Forza Motorsport 7 for XBOX and it's good.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

Forza Motorsport is a straight racing game. No driving around impressing your fans by doing stupid stuff, no having to go "find" races, etc. Just racing on tracks.

That 'social media' aspect might be what ruined these games for me.  I had a lot of fun with The Crew 1.  For that game the point of doing any off track event was to earn better parts to upgrade your car, which drives better as a result.    Then Crew 2 comes and suddenly there's so much focus on gaining social media followers.   But I could never get into the game the same way I did with the first.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zzip said:

That 'social media' aspect might be what ruined these games for me.  I had a lot of fun with The Crew 1.  For that game the point of doing any off track event was to earn better parts to upgrade your car, which drives better as a result.    Then Crew 2 comes and suddenly there's so much focus on gaining social media followers.   But I could never get into the game the same way I did with the first.  

I tried The Crew 2 on a strong recommend from a friend at work. I never really got into it. One thing I liked about it was that you could change vehicle types, and I actually enjoyed the flying parts of the game better than the driving parts. But, overall, it just wasn't my thing. I agree on the social media thing.

I actually got pretty heavy into Forza Horizon 3 and 4 on XBOX at one point. I even got the older games. I was having fun for a while, but I think the shallowness of the experience really hit me the last time I was playing FH4. You do a couple racing events and then they expect you to just play around and do whatever to gain "followers" to open more racing events. Ugh. It just didn't seem as fun as it had when I played before. Maybe the newness of the open world racing game wore off for me and I was able to see the games for what they really are.

Though, I think my biggest problem is, try as they might, nothing will ever really replace Gran Turismo for me when it comes to top tier racing games. And, if I want to just drive around and do stupid stuff, there's always GTA.

Edited by scifidude79

5 minutes ago, scifidude79 said:

I tried The Crew 2 on a strong recommend from a friend at work. I never really got into it. One thing I liked about it was that you could change vehicle types, and I actually enjoyed the flying parts of the game better than the driving parts. But, for me, it just wasn't my thing. I agree on the social media thing.

The first game was more about exploring the map, and seeing what cool things you found along the way.   Once you unlocked a region you could fast travel anywhere in that region to get to where you wanted to go quickly.   In Crew 2, no matter where you left off, it puts you back in Miami in your house.   And there's no fast travel except to events..  And the focus is on getting to events and it seems like they did everything they could to make exploration a nuisance.    Yeah the ability to turn into planes or boats was interesting, but the game doesn't have anything that hooks me in...  

The old way had a better sense of achievement and progression than gaining 'followers'

I've had Crew Motorsports on my wishlist, but I'm afraid to buy it even at the sale prices because I don't know if it will be better than 2 or about the same.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 9:31 AM, zzip said:

The Last Of Us - It probably doesn't help that I've never been into the "Zombie Apocalypse" genre.    But I didn't enjoy this much.  I hated the beginning, I hated the ending,  it got a little better in the middle, but not for long.   I didn't like the characters,  and literally fell asleep a couple of times while trying to play it.

The Last of Us was fine, but overrated -- I couldn't understand why it scored that perfect 10 on IGN. And I was hoping for an alternate ending where you could sacrifice Ellie (a truly annoying character) and Save the World, but no such luck.

• Like 1

Resident Evil (pick any before they went full 3D with modern control/camera with Revelations on 3DS/PC/etc) -- Bad control, equally often bad camera angles, obtuse obvious non-scary pop scares, some pretty dumb or wonk puzzles.  Never was big on zombies stuff either I cared a bit before it got cool like 20 years ago or so to me-too that stuff.  Scary games don't scare me, the only time I ever felt one was a bit unnerving was PS3 Dead Space because it wasn't obvious the place was just one big nervous moment.  The tank controls were crap in RE, the camera angles always shifting and with it torching the angle of the controls, DMC did this too, in both cases if you had a camera pivot it could shift you to rock right back in the other direction which I hated.  RE to me would have been great had it handled like Eternal Darkness with some proper control and camera it would have been magic given the goofy story telling otherwise around Umbrella etc.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2024 at 3:29 AM, Wayler said:

The problem in all Mario RPGs is Mario himself. As a character, he is a blank slate. Jumps around and yells wahoo. Great for a platformer but you need some depth and character to a grand, story driven adventure. An RPG hero he is not. 

I think SMRPG does a pretty good job with it, though. They surround him with interesting characters that have lots of personality, and even though he's mute, Mario is given a lot of personality through his movements. He actually winds up being better than a lot of silent protagonists of the era that way, I think. I especially like the bits where he mimes events to other characters, I thought that was really well-done, and he's very reactive in cutscenes even if he doesn't actually talk. I do prefer the Mario and Luigi approach where Mario and Luigi understand each other and speak in Italian-esque gibberish while the other characters kind of figure out what they mean, though.

As for me, Bioshock, 100%. I had already played and loved System Shock 2 and Deus Ex by the time Bioshock was coming out, and I was very hyped up about it. Bioshock is like Baby's First Immersive Sim. They had to remove so much of the complexity of System Shock 2 to get it to play nice with consoles and controllers that it just lost so much of the crunchiness of SS2 and DE when I was expecting it to have more of that, not less to the point of having almost none. The gunplay is godawful in it as well.

Edited by WavyGravy
Forgot to engagfe with the actual topic! That's probably important.
  • Like 1