IGNORED

Does Sony still discount digital PS3 games?

I probably missed the best time to check this myself, during the holiday season. But does Sony still include PS3 games in the PlayStation store in the typical big Labor Day, Christmas, etc. sales?

I think I want to shoot for owning all the Ratchet and Clank games on PS3. This will most likely be physical. That being said, I’m not adverse to picking any up digital if they were to go on heavy discount. 

I know that originally Sony was going to completely shut down the PS3’s storefront last year, so I wasn’t sure if they have simply forgone any sales on it these days. 

33 minutes ago, Atariboy said:

There haven't been PS3 specific sales in several years now. The only sale opportunities are with cross-buy titles like Shakedown Hawaii that are also available on newer systems.

Thanks!  That’s kind of what I was thinking, but thought I’d check. Was really hoping I’d hear “yea, they practically give these games away these days!” but deep down I kind of new better 😀

19 hours ago, Metal Ghost said:

I probably missed the best time to check this myself, during the holiday season. But does Sony still include PS3 games in the PlayStation store in the typical big Labor Day, Christmas, etc. sales?

I think I want to shoot for owning all the Ratchet and Clank games on PS3. This will most likely be physical. That being said, I’m not adverse to picking any up digital if they were to go on heavy discount. 

I know that originally Sony was going to completely shut down the PS3’s storefront last year, so I wasn’t sure if they have simply forgone any sales on it these days. 

I haven't checked there for a long time, but I seem to recall reading someplace they were discontinuing support for PS3 games (that's probably why I haven't checked there). I haven't played my PS3 now in well over a year...possibly two. I keep meaning to dig it out and play some games, but just have never got around to it.

The backlash against the closure of their legacy online storefronts led Sony to backtrack on those plans. So you're still able to buy digital games or redownload past purchases.

I forget if it had already happened or came about after they backtracked, but they did cancel the ability to purchase this older stuff from their browser storefront (forcing you to do it from the system itself). And while I've not bought anything recently or even had my PS3 connected since I think 2022, I believe I've read that they've added some security hoops to jump through if you wish to buy anything now (and maybe to even just log online).

While less convenient than purchasing was in the past (and the PS3 storefront always has sucked to use), it's still at least an option in 2024.

1 hour ago, Atariboy said:

The backlash against the closure of their legacy online storefronts led Sony to backtrack on those plans. So you're still able to buy digital games or redownload past purchases.

I forget if it had already happened or came about after they backtracked, but they did cancel the ability to purchase this older stuff from their browser storefront (forcing you to do it from the system itself). And while I've not bought anything recently or even had my PS3 connected since I think 2022, I believe I've read that they've added some security hoops to jump through if you wish to buy anything now (and maybe to even just log online).

While less convenient than purchasing was in the past (and the PS3 storefront always has sucked to use), it's still at least an option in 2024.

Oh, that's good to know. I will have to go take a look. Even when they were going full-speed on the PS3 I didn't see much on there I really wanted. I bought a couple of games...updates of old classics like Q*Bert and Frogger...maybe a couple of others. I've got physical copies of a lot of the Lego games - I love those things. And some others I got at used video games stores.

think one of the hoops that you have to jump through is needing to add funds either on the web or PS4/5, and then using those funds on the PS3 Console Storefront.  I'm pretty sure that you can't just use a credit card from within the PS3 store, which is kind of funny since as you mention @Atariboy, you can only purchase content from within the PS3 Storefront on the console itself.

But agreed, at least it's still open, which is a definite positive.

• Like 1