IGNORED

My Colecovision AV mod failed. But why? (Pics)

Boschloo

3 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

I didn't make that board, Mobius did.  It says so on the silkscreen.

The problem is your solder work is likely causing issues.  Looks like multiple bridges on the lm318.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Interesting, I'll have to ask C5 for a replacement then, as the board came assembled.

9 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

There's absoultely no way that came from C5 like that.

Not only that, but the last time they were selling these they were DIY build kit boards? I know the few I have on hand left of tht design I had to solder up myself.

Oh wow! they have them back in stock again. They cost more but they are indeed listed as pre-assembled.

https://console5.com/store/colecovision-composite-av-video-mod-kit-ntsc-consoles-coleco-vision.html

Just now, Boschloo said:

Yes I just edited my last comment with that as I wasn't aware they had these boards back in stock. They did offer them a few years back already done by Mobius and then after that, they were DIY setups that you had to solder up yourself. That is why we didn't think C5 actually assembled them as they don't normally do that and only sell pre-done boards done by another, or DIY type kits.

I'm still not convinced that Luke at C5 did that and he likely bought them from elsewhere predone. In any event, that solder paste barely looks even soldered...?

12 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Yes I just edited my last comment with that as I wasn't aware they had these boards back in stock. They did offer them a few years back already done by Mobius and then after that, they were DIY setups that you had to solder up yourself. That is why we didn't think C5 actually assembled them as they don't normally do that and only sell pre-done boards done by another, or DIY type kits.

I'm still not convinced that Luke at C5 did that and he likely bought them from elsewhere predone. In any event, that solder paste barely looks even soldered...?

Mobius never assembled boards for C5.  I did one initial run for C5 when Chris at Mobius gave me permission to sell his design.  Again, I only did ONE run and that picture on C5s page is from one of those boards from that first and only batch I did which was years ago.  You can see there's different components on mine compared to the one posted above that came "preassembled".

103661986_612279282729509_4631826953810443642_n (1).jpg

Edited by Ruggers Customs
grammar

3 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

BTW, I think you are the guy that made a video about installing the TMS RGB board, I wasn't able to follow it because you started removing surface mounted stuff and I was going for a different approach.

Especially since I'm no good at surface mounted stuff.

1 minute ago, Boschloo said:

BTW, I think you are the guy that made a video about installing the TMS RGB board, I wasn't able to follow it because you started removing surface mounted stuff and I was going for a different approach.

Especially since I'm no good at surface mounted stuff.

Yes but the surface mounted stuff is only needed to be removed if you use a Sega RGB wire setup. You can also avoid that by soldering the RGB wire points on the front of the Resistors that are there without removing they to essentially bypass them. Still small size stuff to work on and that part can't really be helped with the TMS-RGB design.

There are other solutions like the F18A to give you VGA output and that is pretty much, desolder the VDP, install socket and pop the F18A in its place. But that is a more costly solution but still a good one.

3 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

Mobius never assembled boards for C5.  I did one run for C5 when Chris at Mobius gave me permission to sell his design.  Again, I only did ONE run and that picture on C5s page is from one of those boards and that was years ago.  You can see there's different components on mine compared to the one posted above that came "preassembled".

Well yours looks a lot better than what they sent me, in fact that's why I bought one. 

10 minutes ago, Ruggers Customs said:

Mobius never assembled boards for C5.  I did one initial run for C5 when Chris at Mobius gave me permission to sell his design.  Again, I only did ONE run and that picture on C5s page is from one of those boards from that first and only batch I did which was years ago.  You can see there's different components on mine compared to the one posted above that came "preassembled".

My apologies I'm not sure I was aware of that. But explains it.

Just now, -^CrossBow^- said:

My apologies I'm not sure I was aware of that. But explains it.

Oh no need to apologize.  Like I said I did that one initial run for Luke but ended up giving him my revised gerbers to him to do what he wished with them since I just didn't have the time to assemble them then bake them in the oven.

As a matter of fact, I haven't assembled or baked my ESD Protection boards (or any boards for that matter, my reflow oven is so lonely) because of time.  I just have PCBWay do it now.  I don't make any money off them now as a result but it keeps the stock plentiful since PCBWay can do it faster than I can. haha

16 minutes ago, Boschloo said:

Well yours looks a lot better than what they sent me, in fact that's why I bought one. 

Well apparently that slipped past their quality control then.  I'm really sorry if that's the case.  You can do a couple of things here.  You can contact Luke and he'll send you another one which you said you were going to do your you could add some flux and touch up all the connectors to clear up some of that solder paste.

I don't have anything very useful to add to the good advice that's already been given, but wow!  I see reflow work like that in my nightmares. 😬

All of the SMD stuff looks like it was absolutely swimming in paste which then wasn't heated enough.  And the wires (especially VIN and VCC) look like cold solder joints that are hanging on by a thread.  I'd be curious to learn the backstory on that board.  Maybe Luke had a young relative visiting, was teaching them how to do surface mount work, and somehow that board got mixed in with the rest of his stock. 😅

2 hours ago, Ruggers Customs said:

I just got done talking with Luke at C5.

Email them at sales@console5.com and he'll get you taken care of.

Thank you so much, I've just emailed him.

I did some further testing and I know the console works because it still outputs to the RF. And then I tried playing Donkey Kong through the AV mod, and in fact I can hear sound. So it's just video that's not working.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

There are other solutions like the F18A to give you VGA output and that is pretty much, desolder the VDP, install socket and pop the F18A in its place. But that is a more costly solution but still a good one.

Just watched your video installing the AV board from Retrofixes. Definitely a larger board!

12 hours ago, Boschloo said:

Just watched your video installing the AV board from Retrofixes. Definitely a larger board!

I don't use the retrofixes boards anymore. I've been using the smaller boards from Console5 for the past 2 - 3 years now. Again, when I was ordering them, they were about $10 less in price and I had to assemble them myself, but it wasn't that big a deal and only took me a few min per board to put them together. So while I'm glad to see they have the preassembled there, I kinda wish they still offered it in kit form for a cheaper price still. 

I wonder... since there isn't a DIY build it option, that could mean that C5 is ordering these boars now pre-popped by whomever is making the PCBs. That would mean the fab house is who did the solder work in that case and could explain things as well.

18 hours ago, Falonn said:

I don't have anything very useful to add to the good advice that's already been given, but wow!  I see reflow work like that in my nightmares.

I wonder if it was heated at all.  You can still see the individual grains of solder in that.  Well, I guess if the chips are still hanging on, something must have melted though.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:58 PM, Ruggers Customs said:

You can contact Luke and he'll send you another one which you said you were going to do your you could add some flux and touch up all the connectors to clear up some of that solder paste.

Thank you for putting me in touch with him, he's sent a replacement and told me to practice my soldering on the old one. Well I used a hot air pencil at 360 degrees on the SMD chip and it flew off the board! What's worse is, the heat seems to have melted off the white silkscreen on the chip. Anyway, I soldered it back on but it still doesn't work. I'm guessing the board had more issues than just the one chip. 

10 minutes ago, Boschloo said:

Thank you for putting me in touch with him, he's sent a replacement and told me to practice my soldering on the old one. Well I used a hot air pencil at 360 degrees on the SMD chip and it flew off the board! What's worse is, the heat seems to have melted off the white silkscreen on the chip. Anyway, I soldered it back on but it still doesn't work. I'm guessing the board had more issues than just the one chip. 

You're welcome.  I've known Luke for about a decade, super good guy. and will always do what he can to help the customer.  He's still one of my main suppliers of hard to get items.

• Like 1