IGNORED

FujiNet for Atari 2600

It seems enough time  has passed to revisit this, as some new hardware has come to light.

For the hardware hackers in this group, what about mating an ESP32 with an RP2040 (RPi Pico) to provide the necessary bus interface/cartridge emulation for a device that would provide two main functions:

* Loading of games via internet

* Playing of multi-player games via internet.

Thoughts?

-Thom 

• Like 4

I’m game. Happy to work with anyone else interested. I learned how to use the PIOs and DMA on the PICO as a lookup table much like a ROM. Should be totally doable. Add the ESP32 with the FujiNet interface with external power and this thing becomes usable

on the 2600+ too.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, tschak909 said:

It seems enough time  has passed to revisit this, as some new hardware has come to light.

For the hardware hackers in this group, what about mating an ESP32 with an RP2040 (RPi Pico) to provide the necessary bus interface/cartridge emulation for a device that would provide two main functions:

* Loading of games via internet

* Playing of multi-player games via internet.

Probably I am missing something here, but the PlusCart already covers the first point. And AFAIK for multi-player games, one would need a server. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Probably I am missing something here, but the PlusCart already covers the first point.

Second point is covered by PlusROM functions, which are already supported by various emulators and the PlusCart.

The first point is that with FujiNet, games can either be loaded via local SD card storage, or via the Internet, like with the rest of the FujiNet platforms.

The second point is that we have an extensive stack of network operations with protocol offloading that can connect to modern Internet end-points, with JSON and XML parsing to boot.

And we have a WIN/POSIX port of the emulator to work with emulators.

I dunno, seems like a no-brainer to me for FujiNet to come here, but if you guys think you have all this covered, then... :)

-Thom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

The first point is that with FujiNet, games can either be loaded via local SD card storage, or via the Internet, like with the rest of the FujiNet platforms.

With the PlusCart, games can either be loaded via local flash storage, or via the Internet. Also with the PlusCart Duo games can be loaded via a local SD card (even though I never understood the need for fumbling around with SD cards when we have a webDav based system).

1 hour ago, tschak909 said:

The second point is that we have an extensive stack of network operations with protocol offloading that can connect to modern Internet end-points, with JSON and XML parsing to boot.

And we have a WIN/POSIX port of the emulator to work with emulators.

I dunno, seems like a no-brainer to me for FujiNet to come here, but if you guys think you have all this covered, then... :)

-Thom

The idea of the PlusROM functions is to offload the extensive work to the internet back end. So the PlusROM backends can (and should) be used as proxy to the services used.

38 minutes ago, tschak909 said:

Oh, and there's this, the Lobby system we've working on, and a game of 5 card stud poker which uses it:

New Era of Gaming: FujiNet Game Server - FujiNet

New Era of Gaming: FujiNet Game Server – AtariOrbit and 6502 Fun

:)

It shouldn't be too difficult to connect a PlusROM and its dedicated backend to your service. However, how to display the information with the TIA is another problem...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Al_Nafuur said:

With the PlusCart, games can either be loaded via local flash storage, or via the Internet. Also with the PlusCart Duo games can be loaded via a local SD card (even though I never understood the need for fumbling around with SD cards when we have a webDav based system).

The idea of the PlusROM functions is to offload the extensive work to the internet back end. So the PlusROM backends can (and should) be used as proxy to the services used.

It shouldn't be too difficult to connect a PlusROM and its dedicated backend to your service. However, how to display the information with the TIA is another problem...

Well, if you'd like to join forces, we have a discord, and a lot of battle tested code across multiple platforms :

https://discord.gg/2Ce9guX

And our firmware source code is here:

https://github.com/fujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/

-Thom

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

ZeroPage Homebrew has the Exclusive World Premiere of 5 Card Stud PlusROM/FujiNet Client on tomorrow's ZPH stream LIVE on Twitch! Hope you can join us!

Games:

• Like 3