IGNORED

Softside Atari adventures

Allan

Brian Hall here...

Seeing pictures of the floppies really warms my heart!

This was one of my first paid projects during high school.

I have 80s era dot matrix hard copy of some of the games. If items are missing or there were problems with the disk images, I can try and fix it.

Thanks for finding this!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Brian Hall here...

I have 80s era dot matrix hard copy of some of the games. If items are missing or there were problems with the disk images, I can try and fix it.

Thanks for finding this!

Cool. Glad that I copied them, then. Two of the games on disk two seem to copy fine off the disk. That is all I have of these disks. I am not sure if there were any more. I scan of the magazines would probably answer that question. Unfortunately, the non-adventure Atari listings in Softline magazine don't seem to be included on these disks but I don't think there were a lot of other listings. Mostly by the articles by Bill Williams.

7 hours ago, www.atarimania.com said:

This is great, I read about the compilation disks the other day and noted I should add entries to Atarimania. Also, some of the games on our site either don't have the correct titles or were slightly altered so this is going to be super useful.

I also noticed a couple of entries with the same names of some of these games but no other attributes. So hopefully some mysteries solved with these entries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bhall408 said:

Brian Hall here...

Thanks for finding this!

That's an awesome discovery!

• Like 1

On 1/19/2024 at 12:47 AM, DjayBee said:

If you supply a flux dump, I'll try a repair. 

Out of curiosity, how does one repair a disk from a flux dump?  I can see repairing a disk if it has Basic programs, but flux -- no clue.

43 minutes ago, Larry said:

Out of curiosity, how does one repair a disk from a flux dump?  I can see repairing a disk if it has Basic programs, but flux -- no clue.

Flux dumps help for two reasons:

- You can exactly see which sectors have problems. This is very important to know where fixing is needed.

- They contain as many data from gone-bad sectors as possible.

From there on it is a mixture of bad areas only in sectors belonging to DOS, other dumps of the same title (even if versions differ), other titles from the same programmer, some experience.

All in all you can summarize it with "luck". ;)

• Thanks 1

I looked at disk 2 (Altirra), and found that the files that are bad (Error #164) are AUTORUN.SYS, MENU, and MINOTAUR.A8K.  I presume the Autorun and Menu are the same as the other disks, so those can be copied from disk 1 or 3. 

Also, does anyone know the significance of the FILENAME.LST file?  I looked at it briefly, but I can't tell what it is/does.

46 minutes ago, Larry said:

Also, does anyone know the significance of the FILENAME.LST file?  I looked at it briefly, but I can't tell what it is/does.

It looks like a data file for some kind of disk catalog database.

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2024 at 12:54 PM, Allan said:

Do you remember any more details about it? How you got the job, etc.?

I have a few more items I'll post when I get around to it.

I think I had approached them with the idea, and they agreed. I *think* that came as a result of having been mailing them high scores (when mailing in a high score was a thing!)

I have my ANALOG "make these suggested changes and re-submit your game" rejection letters too ;-)

• Like 2