IGNORED

A8PicoCart potential.

Hi, all!

I just got an A8PicoCart and I found it extremely interesting.

I think we could get functionalities, specially considering that you attach a minicomputer into the Atari. Who knows? Maybe DOOM.

Anyone who has the knowledge would be interested in doing something like this?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wilheim said:

Hi, all!

I just got an A8PicoCart and I found it extremely interesting.

I think we could get functionalities, specially considering that you attach a minicomputer into the Atari. Who knows? Maybe DOOM.

Anyone who has the knowledge would be interested in doing something like this?

I think what you're talking about is kinda like the Pitrex Device they made for Vectrex systems.

If you are not aware, for the Vectrex, there's this cool open-source cartridge device called PiTrex. It's basically a Raspberry Pi Zero that plugs into the cartridge port and takes over the system. It's awesome because it can mimic old-school vector arcade games like Star Wars. Plus, it's a way more easier and powerful for making and playing new games as well old games.

Just a heads up, though – the Pico Pi might be a bit low powered for this job.

If you're curious about whether it could work or how to pull it off, the tech-savvy folks in this forum could probably give you the lowdown.

• Like 1

You'd need to fit within the Pi - practically all the game code and also use Ram within the Pi for processing and generating the frame buffer.

Then Antic would need to access the frame buffer.  I would suggest something like APAC or a TIP type mode.

Some nice additionals could be digital sound which Pi could generate and the 6502 play with timer IRQs.

I'm not really familiar enough with the Picocart specs to know if doing the game would be possible.

But given that Doom has been ported to just about everything, we may as well have it on our computer.

• Like 1