IGNORED

This is not a normal boot, right?

Try pressing the period key many many times. It might fix itself. However, it is more likely a mylar based keyboard, and there are small springs under the key caps, and sometimes a spring gets in a wrong position and you get a stuck key. Try removing the keycap to check, but try to be VERY careful since it is easy to break the guide and also easy to loose the minuscule spring. In other cases the mylar itself is defective. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, manterola said:

Try pressing the period key many many times. It might fix itself. However, it is more likely a mylar based keyboard, and there are small springs under the key caps, and sometimes a spring gets in a wrong position and you get a stuck key. Try removing the keycap to check, but try to be VERY careful since it is easy to break the guide and also easy to loose the minuscule spring. In other cases the mylar itself is defective. 

After some rapid presses, it stopped. then it started back up again less than a minute later.

@Paul Westphal

I took the keyboard out. The shift key, space key, and forward slash key all lifted off and left the plunger in place. When I lifted off the troublesome period key, the plunger came out with it.

Is that what the plunger should look like?

Thanks for getting back to me quickly on this.I appreciate you being a stand up guy. We'll get this worked out.

IMG_20240126_211551.jpg

IMG_20240126_211546.jpg

IMG_20240126_211544.jpg

IMG_20240126_211505.jpg

IMG_20240126_211500.jpg

IMG_20240126_211456.jpg

IMG_20240126_211452.jpg

I separated the plunger from the key and set the springs into the plunger. Then, I inserted them into the cradle while holding the computer upside-down. Then, I popped the key on, reconnected power and AV, and booted up without issue. In the keyboard test everything looks close to perfect, but neither the left nor right shift key, nor the control key show action in the keyboard test. Seems like I should be concerned about that.

All working now. After RTFM, I discovered that you have to use the shift keys and the control keys in conjunction with another key in order to get a response from them in the keyboard test.

That being said, this keyboard looks to be 100% now. @Paul Westphal sent out a really well cleaned machine at a reasonable price. Thank you, Paul.

• Like 1

These things happen sometimes. That 800xl was nice ( but non-working ) when I got it and even nicer when it left. Fully socketed, too!

I'm always glad they go to someone that appreciates them.. which is why I have been primarily selling here on AA.

Here: https://www.tindie.com/products/5cfab/320k-memory-upgrade-for-the-atari-xl-computers/

😀

Edited by Paul Westphal
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, bent_pin said:

All working now. After RTFM, I discovered that you have to use the shift keys and the control keys in conjunction with another key in order to get a response from them in the keyboard test.

That being said, this keyboard looks to be 100% now. @Paul Westphal sent out a really well cleaned machine at a reasonable price. Thank you, Paul.

Thank You!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paul Westphal said:

These things happen sometimes. That 800xl was nice ( but non-working ) when I got it and even nicer when it left. Fully socketed, too!

Super glad it went to someone that appreciates it.. which is why I have been primarily selling here on AA.

Here: https://www.tindie.com/products/5cfab/320k-memory-upgrade-for-the-atari-xl-computers/

😀

I've got an untested unit on the way from the bay. I'm going to keep this nice one for playing for now and use the other one to experiment on. I'd like to build my own ram upgrade from scratch. I also have a pile of 850s that I'm going to use to make an A8 network.

• Like 1