IGNORED

Proof of Concept: Virtual Sprites Handled as Arrays

Gemintronic

I've been struggling with size issues of my main game engines.  Al_Nafurs sprite sharing technique helps. but.. I wondered if more could be done. Here is a proof of concept that controls all 5 virtual sprites using the same code.  The virtual player details are handled as arrays.  This makes enemy/actor AI much smaller/manageable.

This is just a proof of concept.  So, not a full tutorial or example.  Nevertheless, there's comments in the code.  Just ask about anything :)

.also, NO attempt has been made to mitigate virtual sprite priority flicker   basically, when sprites go above or below other virtual sprite boundaries there's a chance they'll all flicker.  This is different from the flicker you get from two virtual sprites being less than a few pixels vertically from eachother.

movevirt001.basmovevirt001.bin

movevirt001.thumb.png.3c55cb9232c5de5d06ad54d3921f21bc.png

• Like 7

I fully realize that I'm not the target audience for your post but I ws curious if you could explain the benefit of your code for a nonprogrammer in general terms.   I assume you're using the multisprite bB kernel (or is it DPC?).  Is the main benefit of using the array saving on ROM space and/or RAM?

3 hours ago, LatchKeyKid said:

I fully realize that I'm not the target audience for your post but I ws curious if you could explain the benefit of your code for a nonprogrammer in general terms.   I assume you're using the multisprite bB kernel (or is it DPC?).  Is the main benefit of using the array saving on ROM space and/or RAM?

I'm probably going to repeat myself in some areas so forgive me.

bB has very specific ways to handle specific resources.  player1pointerlo, player4height and so on.  For me I end up with sections of code that feel like they are copies of other code just with the sprite object changed.

By accessing sprite object attributes as an array we can make for next loops to control ALL virtual sprites with the same code block.  This proof of concept uses the multi sprite kernel.

• Like 2

It's an interesting program. Above what I can do for now. I noticed the "debug cycles" I was looking at RT's page as I never saw that used in Bb code until now. I might start to use that to try and catch my cycles when they go over. Another question is off topic. I noticed some ASM in our code. Where could I learn the basics as I typically cut and paste sample codes I find until I get them to work. Trying to get the Genesis Controller to work on 2600+. Works in Stella pretty well, but doesn't behave the same on the 2600+. I'm thinking ASM  would probably help and with some other stuff I'm tinkering with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lewis2907 said:

It's an interesting program. Above what I can do for now. I noticed the "debug cycles" I was looking at RT's page as I never saw that used in Bb code until now. I might start to use that to try and catch my cycles when they go over. Another question is off topic. I noticed some ASM in our code. Where could I learn the basics as I typically cut and paste sample codes I find until I get them to work. Trying to get the Genesis Controller to work on 2600+. Works in Stella pretty well, but doesn't behave the same on the 2600+. I'm thinking ASM  would probably help and with some other stuff I'm tinkering with. 

I was able to understand enough of the Collect ASM tutorial to make a bB version of the game.  So, maybe that's a good starting point coming from a bB background:

https://forums.atariage.com/blogs/entry/13884-collect-tutorial-index/

• Like 1