IGNORED

Paddlefield (was: Pong Wars) (Atari 2600)

So cell countdown is not a selected variable. It is always a way to win. And it differs in number according to speed selected. This makes enough sense.

I originally thought the double triangles configured speed but got confused, by the game outcomes as mentioned, but also the double triangle visuals and how they alternate when selected. Now I know. An opinion on a not terribly significant detail but I think it could be more intuitive. It looks like it adds up to ten speed variations and it looks like fewer than ten corresponding cell countdown variations. Or if they are different they are imperceptibly slight differences. Could be done differently.

I also wonder about score indication. Counts down to zero for left player, but counts up for right player I think? Triangle points to current leader, that is very clear. But when dark side is winning you have to remember or guess what is starting cell number and what is double that number, in order to know the score and how close the end is. Could be different and more clear or more symmetrical.

All minor points. Hopefully based on accurate observations. 

17 minutes ago, gliptitude said:

I originally thought the double triangles configured speed but got confused, by the game outcomes as mentioned, but also the double triangle visuals and how they alternate when selected. Now I know. An opinion on a not terribly significant detail but I think it could be more intuitive. It looks like it adds up to ten speed variations and it looks like fewer than ten corresponding cell countdown variations. Or if they are different they are imperceptibly slight differences. Could be done differently.

I already wondered if less speeds would do. Because I don't think I should make them any faster, to create a larger difference.

17 minutes ago, gliptitude said:

I also wonder about score indication. Counts down to zero for left player, but counts up for right player I think? Triangle points to current leader, that is very clear. But when dark side is winning you have to remember or guess what is starting cell number and what is double that number, in order to know the score and how close the end is. Could be different and more clear or more symmetrical.

It is 100% symmetrical. When dark is closer to a win, it still counts down.

Another minor update (V0.82).

While you will probably only notice the increased steering effect (50% stronger now) or the increased granularity of the ball directions (33% more), I have changed quite some code. Mainly to gain more free RAM. Now I am at 7 free bytes. Yay!

Oh, one more thing: Using a still experimental PlusCart feature, the ROM also stores and loads the latest settings. Thanks to @Al_Nafuur for the support!

• Like 3

...aaand another update (V0.83)! :) 

Because I just had an idea: To avoid endless games, the game now slowly (by 1 every ~4s) decreases the cell goal. So if you initially need e.g. 30 extra cells covered, you only need 20 extra cells about 40 seconds later. And latest after ~120 seconds this game variation ends. 

Sounds like a cool idea to me. Am I right?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

BTW: I am looking for an non-infringing name. Ideas so far:

• P*ng Wars (not sure if that one is different enough)
  • P* Wars
  • Purge Wars
  • Purge!

Suggestions and opinions welcome!

What about:

- Ball for Two 

- Ball Battle

• Like 1

Paddle Ball Wars

Ping Pong Breaker

Ball Breaker

Pixel Break

Boardgame

Countdown/Breakthrough

256 Game Paddle Break

Powerball

Paddle-force

Volley Wars

Pixel Volley

Prevail

A Long Time Ago..

Beforetime

Video War

Electronic Battlefield

Deflection

Light vs Dark

Array

Territory

Potentiometer Wars

Ball Battle fits well, but is too generic, IMO. I am looking for a catchy, unique name.

Not too long too, so that I can draw it using the current playfield. Which is 32x23 cells,  but the outer border should not be used. So that leaves 30x21 cells, that allows up to ~8 chars per line and ~4 lines. Less chars and rows will look better. Here is a quick example for Ball Battle:

image.png.a7b6c379caa5bac766c304144a5f2302.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Literally? Or "Two Balls"? Might cause some naughty thoughts. :D 

Light vs Dark works best for me so far. But of cause that title is frequently used too... :ponder: 

I was thinking literally.  "Bälle" sounds vaguely like ballet in English, and your game could be considered a dance of two balls.  Not sure how to make it less naughty since everything is focused around two balls. :) 

1 minute ago, littaum said:

I was thinking literally.  "Bälle" sounds vaguely like ballet in English

How many English speakers would know how to pronounce that correctly? :) 

...and your game could be considered a dance of two balls. 

True. Now, that reminds me at Pas de Deux.

Not sure how to make it less naughty since everything is focused around two balls. :) 

:) 

8 minutes ago, Zoyx said:

If not ball battles, how about BATTLE BALLS? You have your double entendre intact here.

Better. Here are some Google numbers for the given search terms:

• "Pong Wars" game: 5,100
  • "Battle Balls" game 19,100
  • "Light vs Dark" game: 116,000
  • "Ball Battle" game: 291,000

Posted (edited)

Google hits:

• "Particle Wars" game: 3,000 (no idea why, but the results are displayed black on white, all others are white on black)
  • "Particle War" game: 12,800
  • "Pixel Wars" game: 85,600
  • "Pixel War" game: 77,900
  • "Pixel Volley" game: 13,900
  • "Bit Battle" game: 25,600
  • "Bit Wars" game: 29,600
  • "Bit War" game: 28,100
Edited by Thomas Jentzsch

3 hours ago, gliptitude said:

Paddlefield

Kinda digging that one.

Could go with the early Sears naming conventions, like:

• Ball
  • Ball II
  • Ball Plus
  • Ball Fun
  • Ball Plus II
  • Ball Fun II
  • Ball Plus Fun II
  • Ball Combat
  • Ball Combat Plus Fun II
  • Arcade Ball
  • Video Ball
  • Video Arcade Combat Ball Plus Fun II
  • Space Balls (you just knew we were going to get there sooner or later... :roll: )

/nothelpful

• Like 1
  • Haha 1