IGNORED

New Time Pilot Arcade for the ColecoVision with SGM

opcode

2 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

You shipped it in a SGC labeled cart. And the PCB inside says SGC. So you're saying this is actually not a SGC cart/game?

IMG_4891.jpeg

IMG_4892.jpeg

Yes, but if you dump this, the ROM won't run on an emulator. This is a physical cartridge. The ROM that was offered prior to the physical cartridge was MegaCart, not SGC. 

25 minutes ago, opcode said:

Yes, but if you dump this, the ROM won't run on an emulator. This is a physical cartridge. The ROM that was offered prior to the physical cartridge was MegaCart, not SGC. 

Then I stand corrected.  I was going off the information available to me at the time.  Which was the same ROM you provided was also distributed on a SGC cart.  And they both seem to play exactly the same to me.  Therefore in my mind, it was a SGC game.  But what you are saying then is that this game is not taking full advantage of the SGC, as it's just a basic mega cart game?  It was just distributed on SGC as a anti-dumping measure?

Then not to drag this out further, I just have one last question that hopefully you can answer without giving away anything too proprietary.  What is the benefit(s) of the SGC cart/game over a regular mega cart/game?  Like what is special about it that is helping to push Time Pilot as far as you have?  Just in layman's terms. I'm not looking for a technical deep dive. I'm just interested in what new cool things the SGC can bring to the table for us gamers.

Otherwise, I look forward to hearing more about the new convenience feature you mentioned earlier.  I love the high quality packaging and effort put into the manuals and other items included with the games.  I just don't have the room to keep them out when playing.  I barely have room to keep a few consoles with flash carts readily available to play.  I like to keep the games safely stored away in my basement.

Edited by nick3092

The chip on the left in your photo is 2MB of flash storage.  And the chip on the right is a CPLD that is probably handling the more advanced bank switching that opcode mentioned earlier.  So I'm guessing the benefit an SGC cart brings is lots more storage (vs. a mega cart) along with being able to write back to the flash (for features like saving).

On 2/27/2024 at 8:59 AM, NE146 said:

Wow man the speed and gameplay of this version looks awesome! Gotta say :)

Really no need to worry about codecs anymore as VLC Media Player (which can play nearly everything) is multiplatform and has Android and Ubuntu versions as well. It's all I use on windows also.

That's not convenient in any way for Android tablets and phones or Linux. Do you expect the user to manually download an apple quick time .mov file, load up VLC, select the download and then watch the video? Totally antithetical to the idea of an "inline" autoloading video, which is what would happen on an apple device using their proprietary code.

Simply use .MP4 container like the rest of the universe and inline video playing works perfectly.

57 minutes ago, nick3092 said:

Then I stand corrected.  I was going off the information available to me at the time.  Which was the same ROM you provided was also distributed on a SGC cart.  And they both seem to play exactly the same to me.  Therefore in my mind, it was a SGC game.  But what you are saying then is that this game is not taking full advantage of the SGC, as it's just a basic mega cart game?  It was just distributed on SGC as a anti-dumping measure?

Then not to drag this out further, I just have one last question that hopefully you can answer without giving away anything too proprietary.  What is the benefit(s) of the SGC cart/game over a regular mega cart/game?  Like what is special about it that is helping to push Time Pilot as far as you have?  Just in layman's terms. I'm not looking for a technical deep dive. I'm just interested in what new cool things the SGC can bring to the table for us gamers.

Otherwise, I look forward to hearing more about the new convenience feature you mentioned earlier.  I love the high quality packaging and effort put into the manuals and other items included with the games.  I just don't have the room to keep them out when playing.  I barely have room to keep a few consoles with flash carts readily available to play.  I like to keep the games safely stored away in my basement.

Well, the Super Game Module adds more RAM and an extra sound chip, both used by Time Pilot. The Super Game Cartridge for this particular game adds the benefit of saving to the cartridge. Everything else is still done by the ColecoVision, from processing to video capabilities, so I guess any other benefit comes from 25+ years of experience with the hardware. :)

As for that other game, the SGC is used to save high scores and settings to the cartridge. The SGC does more than that, and can be very flexible with bank switching, much more so than the MegaCart, but not all games need or benefit from that. 

Edited by opcode
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2024 at 6:27 PM, opcode said:

Well, the Super Game Module adds more RAM and an extra sound chip, both used by Time Pilot. The Super Game Cartridge for this particular game adds the benefit of saving to the cartridge. Everything else is still done by the ColecoVision, from processing to video capabilities, so I guess any other benefit comes from 25+ years of experience with the hardware. :)

As for that other game, the SGC is used to save high scores and settings to the cartridge. The SGC does more than that, and can be very flexible with bank switching, much more so than the MegaCart, but not all games need or benefit from that. 

Is there a way to delete the saved scores? Just curious. It would be easy enough for someone to overwrite mine but I'm not letting go of my cart:)

Also, I hope you will continue posting here. I don't use Facebook or any other social network site. 

• Like 1

Yes, many of us don't use Facebook or other social media sites. So, it would be a shame if opcode or other very talented people stop posting in these forums. You have a very legitimate way to reach even more customers by posting here as well.

6 hours ago, discotronic said:

Is there a way to delete the saved scores? Just curious. It would be easy enough for someone to overwrite mine but I'm not letting go of my cart:)

Also, I hope you will continue posting here. I don't use Facebook or any other social network site. 

Yes, you can deleted all saved scores and settings if you want. And sure, I will keep posting here. :)

• Thanks 1