IGNORED

Internal Power supply questions... How many watts per rail?

dabone

12 hours ago, dabone said:

Does anyone know how many watts or amps are pulled on the internal supply for each rail?

@Kchula-Rrit already answered the question about how much current the 99/4A actually draws, but keep in mind this is going to be based on the configuration of the system at time of measurement.

We also had a long discussion about the power supply and ripple not to long ago.  I estimated max specs for the power supply here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/356147-acceptable-level-of-power-supply-noise-for-a-console/?do=findComment&comment=5373816

12 hours ago, dabone said:

And is there a modern replacement for the actual switch?

I'm sure there exists a direct replacement, but I don't know if anyone has researched it and found DigiKey/Mouser part numbers to order.

Here's mine.. Takes a 12v adapter, and has a +5v 4amp buck converter, and a 1amp -5v converter.

I added a mosfet for reverse voltage protection.

I was asking to be sure I had more than enough on the -5v.

It takes away the coffee warmer from the front of the ti.. :)

IMG_20240207_193419184_HDR.jpg

Edited by dabone
whoops
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dabone said:

Here's mine.. Takes a 12v adapter, and has a +5v 4amp buck converter, and a 1amp -5v converter.

I've went to the listed repository and can't find this one, is it private? https://github.com/dabonetn?tab=repositories

18 hours ago, dabone said:

That's a really cool (more ways than one) idea!

Don't want to steal your design, but how did you wire the MOSFET?  I have a keyboard adapter where my coffee-boiler used to sit, so I can't put anything there.

Right now I have four wires going into my computer+NanoPEB from an external supply, and I would like to make it a bit less clunky.

K-R.

Edited by Kchula-Rrit

1 hour ago, Kchula-Rrit said:

That's a really cool (more ways than one) idea!

Don't want to steal your design, but how did you wire the MOSFET?  I have a keyboard adapter where my coffee-boiler used to sit, so I can't put anything there.

Right now I have four wires going into my computer+NanoPEB from an external supply, and I would like to make it a bit less clunky.

K-R.

Here's the video I stole the reverse polarity protection from.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:38 PM, dabone said:

Good innovation!  👍 

Your method reminds me of the picoPSU’s  - it’s a good way to get multiple rails off one source, and I’ve used it to power an entire XT class system.  There’s also the breakout board for those, and I wonder if they have one that doesn’t have the “ATX” part that retro users like us can use in a modular fashion and just place on a board like this?  

I added a large (almost empty) perfboard with just a switch for the 12v input, after I tested this, but this is serving me well - +5v 2-3A, -5v 2-3A powered with a 12V 2A regulated wall wart.  I'm seeing +4.9v out of the side port, the other 2 voltages are 100% at spec.  I wouldn't call it a coffee warmer, but it does get a little warm...

image.thumb.jpeg.750c33879881fbe714f28030a7a21c6f.jpeg

• Like 2